Articulate Storyline Ratings

Overall

About Articulate Storyline

Articulate Storyline is online training software that helps you create online e-learning courses quickly and easily. Storyline is the e-learning authoring tool that grows with you, allowing you to start simply and work up to building highly interactive online and mobile courses, with templates, storyboarding, animation, multimedia support, character templates, & advanced editing features. Get a free 30-day trial to learn just how powerful and intuitive Articulate Storyline can be. Learn more about Articulate Storyline

Lewis E.
VP
December 21, 2017

“The best E-Leaning Authoring System by far, but with a steep learning curve and no Macro capability”

ProsBest Authoring Program by Far Most features Microsoft PowerPoint Style Great Exemplary Support Very Powerful Continuous addition of new features Excellent Review System Powerful Testing & Feedback Capability Integrated Audio & Video Editing Rarely ever crashes Large library of Tutorials This is a really great program for developing E-Learning and training lessons and courses. The program is loaded with capability. I have never seen a program that does so much. For example, iif you want to have an audio track, you don't need any other software to record and edit the audio. It is all built in. If you want to add a vid I have been creating and supervising e-learning courses for decades and there is none that comes even close to Articulate Storyline in power, features and capability. Storyline looks and feels very much like Microsoft Powerpoint. I think that they have an arrangement with Microsoft to use much of the PowerPoint code as processes like editing a photo is exactly the same. So using it is very easy and comfortable. Most of the commands are familiar and function just as in PowerPoint. The support is incredibly good. And you will need it because there is so much capability in Storyline that there is a huge amount to learn. Agents respond and will even create a video to show you how.
ConsSome operations are very slow No Macro Capability Very steep learning curve Expensive Very limited availability to send e-mails Biggest negative is the very high price and the pricing rules. Each user has to have a license. This is a killer if you have developers, supervisors, subject matter experts, and editors. each needs a license. For a program of such power and so Microsoft like, it is surprising that you cannot customize the ribbons and worse, there is no macro capability. So repetitive tasks are burdensome. There is an incredibly steep learning curve. Expect to spend at least 12 hours on tutorials before you can do anything other than trivia. And even then, you will only know a fraction of what you can do. I have used Storyline for over 2 years and every week or so I find a new thing that I can do and have to take a few minutes to learn that. Given all the support, the high price is in a sense justified but it still is a big investment of cash and your time if you want to use StoryLine. But you do get the best. There are dozens of little things that they haven't programmed that would seem easy. Like you cannot send an e-mail to the learner in the middle or a course. Or if you want a glossary for many lessons there is no way of maintaining the glossary for all. If you add a new term, you must do so separately for each lesson The program does so much that several of the functions are really slow. Previewing and publishing are the worst.
December 21, 2017
Joseph D.
Instructional Designer (Contractor; Working Remote with On-Site Meetings)
Consumer Services, 1001-5000 employees
June 1, 2018

“Expensive But Worth It If You Are Do E-Learning”

OverallSince I do a lot of e-learning and all of it is on Articulate Storyline, it is a must but it has serious deficiencies and that is compounded by the fact that the customer service is utterly deceptive. If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.
ProsThere is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.
ConsI absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.
June 1, 2018
July 29, 2018

“Storyline is very user friendly and allows you to create customised courses. ”

OverallIt is our preferred eLearning development software. I love it!
ProsWhat I like most about this program is how user-friendly it is. When I first started using Storyline, I found it easy to get the hang of it and it wasn't long until I was creating courses without any assistance. I also love the icons feature that is available in Storyline 360. I use it a lot and can't imagine developing without it now. I also like that if I need support, most questions have been asked online on Storyline forums. They always provide detailed explanations of how to do certain things and other users are also helpful in sharing what they know. The fact that the program has a community of supporters leaves me feeling confident that I can figure out any problem that I have. Storyline is definitely my preferred eLearning development software.
ConsThere are a few program features that I would love added. I would love to be able to specify exactly how curved corners on shapes are (the yellow boxes that you drag) rather than doing it by eye. I also think updating the alt-text for accessibility should not be split by elements within an object but as an object as a whole (for example icons picking up on individual shapes rather than the icon as whole).
July 29, 2018
Donna L.
Training Manager
Legal Services, 1001-5000 employees
June 3, 2019

“Hands down the best and easiest authoring tool”

OverallThis is an expensive solution but overall, it's the best purchase we've made for Authoring
ProsThis is so much easier to use than anything else our team has tried. We can easily create a PowerPoint presentation and then convert it to and Articulate Storyline file. This means that a lot of the legwork is done before we even begin working in Articulate
ConsThings start getting a little difficult when we are creating tests/quizzes in Articulate. There are a lot of options and we have to be extremely thorough and detail oriented when it comes to creating pre/post exams for the relevant courses.
June 3, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
February 12, 2019

“Articulate Storyline Review”

OverallArticulate Storyline has taken our company into 21st century technology! We were behind the times until we started creating courses using Storyline. We have a larger library of courses to offer our employees that are engaging and interactive since using Articulate Storyline.
ProsBeing new to the eLearning course world, using Articulate has allowed me and my team to create high quality, engaging courses for our company. We create courses for over 1,000 employees and we went from PowerPoint style courses to Storyline courses in a matter of one year. Employees rave about the style, design, interactivity and engaging courses we create. We did not receive those reviews before using Articulate Storyline.
ConsArticulate Storyline takes some getting used to and definitely some training before getting started. It's not exactly intuitive unless you are using Rise. The Storyline 360 takes some trial and error and I highly recommend taking their tutorials or any course that teaches the ins and outs of the product. The more you are in there creating, the easier it is to use.
February 12, 2019
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
January 10, 2018

“I have SL2 and love how interactive I can make my courses. I have been using it for three years.”

OverallMainly information on ID best practices and some "how tos" from their blog and community. It can be really engaging and fun to create a course using SL2. I like their templates as they are easy to customize. However, now there is SL3 and 360, so getting help or templates for SL2 are few and far between.
ProsThe free templates are amazing. I love their community site that is up-to-date on LD trends and challenges. Everyone that has taken one of my courses on SL2 likes how fun and engaging they can be. I can add all types of file formats, different types of quizzes, interaction, and multimedia.
ConsI never seem to feel like an expert as some of the functions/interactions are hard to create. I went to a two day training on SL2 and it didn't teach me enough as I am still trying to figure out variables and how they work. Sometimes the E-Learning Heroes take days to get back to me if I have an issue and don't always explain in detail how to correct the issue.
January 10, 2018
Steven M.
Director of Learning and Development
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees
February 15, 2019

“Still number 1 ”

OverallI am able to turn out hundreds of software training courses with a small team because of this tool.
ProsThis product allows a non coder like myself produce high quality SCORM content with a custom look and feel. It also allows my team to rapidly produce and edit content, which we were able to produce over 100+ courses in one year with a 3 person team.
ConsMore and more of my work is around video, and the tool is very limited. The compression is not very good, and have to use video software to tweak the compression and turns Storyline's off. Also, the player seekbar breaks in many browsers then seeking. You can use the default video player, however you loose valuable screen space and it is an old ugly grey which my clients do not like. Also the size of video is an issue. I know of all the available work arounds but really wish this was more plug and play.
February 15, 2019
Computer Software, Unspecified
July 20, 2018

“Perfect tool for avid developers ”

ProsI love how intuitive the UI is - very similar to the familiar Office suite. Tons of triggers, animations, and media types to make great elearning. Especially useful is the layers function, which makes it easier to create rich media and manage the source files. Lots of my clients really appreciate the review site and our communication there, and it makes it easier for me to manage feedback!
ConsYou definitely need to be an expert in order to make the most of this tool; while a novice may be able to create objects and basic animations, you've got to dive pretty deep to use all of the features. You'd be surprised that the elearning courses you've taken before which look like they are built by the most creative developers and designers are actually done in Storyline. It's also insanely expensive and make it cost prohibitive for most.
July 20, 2018
Retail, 1001-5000 employees
December 28, 2018

“Great Tool for Developing Interactive Learning Experiences”

OverallBefore I used Storyline for eLearning development I used Authorware and then Flash. With Authorware and Flash I felt I could do anything I wanted to do! With Storyline, there are some constraints, but development is much quicker than with Flash. I still don't like it as well as Authorware, but Storyline is growing on me after 2.5 years of use.
ProsVery good tutorials for beginning users, triggers allow for some programming without actually writing code, easy to quickly develop branching scenarios and highly interactive training modules, nice features such as markers for optional information and simple video and sound editing (minimal but still handy). Another pro is the huge community of users and the forum (hosted and moderated by Articulate).
ConsCan be buggy. Triggers allow for some programming, but there is no equivalent to arrays, which can be frustrating.
December 28, 2018
John H.
Founder & Creative Director
May 14, 2018

“An extremely intuitive and easy-to-use authoring tool”

OverallThis is a great all-around authoring tool which can be used by both beginners for quick solutions and also experts to create high-quality learning experiences.
ProsStoryline is one of the easiest and most intuitive rapid authoring tools on the market. Not only is it easy to use, it also has a large support network in the form of the e-learning heroes site which provides the solution to your issues and answers to your questions from a supportive community. Due to its intuitive design, it is easy to pick up and can be then used to create both simple and complex activity courses.
ConsThe main con is that you do need to have the latest version of Storyline to really benefit as the support from Storyline 2 has ended which means that anything created on those versions will have issues with browsers as they evolve.
May 14, 2018
Rameez B.
Content Developer
Retail, 1001-5000 employees
June 12, 2019

“A modern, clean and refined take on a publishing tool. ”

OverallWe switched from Captivate to Storyline and 360. I enjoy it alot more as it feels and looks more modern. The content they provide is above par and well worth it as it all comes together amazingly even when you switch them up. I would just like to see more timing options. Other than that I highly recommend this product.
ProsMy pros are: 1. Easy to understand and user friendly 2. Much smoother when playing back content 3. Allows for the addition of templates which can be downloaded at any time 4. Intergeates well with other software such as a LMS when using published files
ConsI would like to see the option to allow more audio to be added. For example, if I have two images on the slide, I would like to be able to attach an audio file to either image and not just have one audio file. I would also like to see more timing options.
June 12, 2019
October 1, 2019

“Easy to use but sometimes limited in features”

OverallWe create e-learning modules for our blended learning teachings.
ProsThe software is easy to use and has quite some options. It is not a web-based service which means no expensive returning costs.
ConsOften you have to be very creative to find solutions for seemingly simple problems. The use of variables is limited and often does not work as intended. Support consists of asking forums for help which, in our experience, seldom does really help. Or there is a technical engineer that often does not really help because emails are not read properly. The biggest drawback is that there is no option to batch export projects which means we often have to open, export, produce dozens of project files one by one.
October 1, 2019
Doral A.
April 10, 2019

“Storyline Review”

ProsStoryline has been my favorite eLearning software for many years. I like the online community to get help from other professionals and templates. Storyline enables us to develop highly interactive and engaging online courses. The hot spot interaction was very helpful for a few courses that other interactions could not provide the same training.
ConsWe tried Storyline 360 and had too many issues when updating our Storyline 2 courses. 360 would randomly change some text in the course which was frustrating. We did upload the fonts as directed but it did not fix the issue so we are staying with Storyline 2 for now since we bought multiple licenses.
April 10, 2019
Melissa J.
eLearning Designer
January 8, 2015

“Storyline - the best hands down!”

OverallArticulate had been listening to its users and working busily to provide us with a tool that offered many of the features we had been asking for. I feel that the company really stands behind its product. The community offers so many valuable resources: ' helpful community managers who always try to answer questions quickly and clearly ' a way to network with other users and share insights and creative ideas ' weekly challenges to keep us engaged and thinking ' a whole library of downloadable content Tom Kulhman and David Anderson are phenomenal ' they are experts in the field of eLearning and course design and are always eager to share their knowledge, ideas, and tips/tricks. I feel like I never stop learning, growing, and getting better because Articulate supports me. I'm not just a nameless software user ' I'm a community member and they care about my success and my opinion. Articulate provides helpful tutorials for everything ' I like that they include a video demonstration AND a text version of each tutorial. First-time users can get started with very little training or experience. It's the most user-friendly eLearning development software on the market, with a very low learning curve! You can easily import PPT files or other Articulate projects. We've had no problem converting any of our older Studio projects into Storyline projects. Reusable content is a huge time-saver, and Storyline makes it very easy to create and reuse content. I love that Storyline comes with some pre-built slide layouts and interactions. Even a beginner can engage learners in their courses ' Articulate has done the work for them! The software grows with the user ' you can make your courses as simple or complex as you desire. Articulate has included some powerful tools (like variables) which allow us to create games, interactive content, whatever we can imagine. I'd love the ability to loop background music in my course, or the ability to use format painter to apply text formatting to my slide notes.
January 8, 2015
Michaela P.
eLearning Instructional Designer and QA Expert
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
December 6, 2018

“Articulate for eLearning”

OverallI use Storyline to design eLearning and also review eLearning courses that others create. I've seen really cool eLearning modules that were created in Storyline, you'd be surprised how powerful this tool really is!
ProsI love that you don't have to be an engineer and you can create beutiful eLearning modules using Articulate Storyline. It looks similar to Microsoft products which makes it easier for newbies to learn.
ConsIt's super buggy. I'm not sure if it's the developers or what's going on, but when I do QA review for Articulate courses, it takes hours and hours to deal with all the bugs. It drives everyone crazy. But we still won't switch, we love Articulate. Go figure.
December 6, 2018
Russell S.
E-Learning, Unspecified
December 7, 2016

“Great software but needs some serious updating ”

OverallI have been an Articulate StoryLine user since it came out in about 2013. It took a while, but once I learned how to use it, I was able to create hundreds of amazing e-course modules and interactive games. It became one of my favorite software development tools allowing me to do things I never dreamed possible and really impressed (and expanded) my clients. Support was okay. But I never really had to submit a support ticket. Articulate has the best community and I was usually able to get the help I needed from moderators or other community members. However, I can relate to Chris' frustration. For example, StoryLine has the capability to execute javascript which greatly expands what you can do with it. But the stock answer when you have a javascript question is ... "Sorry, we don't provide support for javascript; perhaps someone in the community can help you out." Fortunately for me, there was always someone well versed with javascript that was willing to share their code. Recently, it is becoming apparent that StoryLine has some major shortcomings, and that Articulate has been slow in adding new features and enhancements in response to client requests. These include such things as a) inability to use with high-res monitors; b) no capability to e-mail results to admin or user; c) no feature to have background audio across all slides (see Chris' review); d) no capability to publish only HTML5 output; e) poor quality of HTML5 published output that does NOT work well on many mobile devices; f) no responsive design capability; g) no capability to send results to a database; h) very slow player response on timeline when synchronizing animations and no true scrubber; and several other issues. In Nov. 2016, Articulate released 360 which bundled all of their current programs into one annual subscription (which is way too expensive for us to even consider). StoryLine 2 as a stand-alone product is still available and Articulate claims that StoryLine 3 will be available sometime in 2017. However, whether SL3 will address the major shortcomings of us and others, remains unknown. Therefore, to meet our needs for course development in an ever changing technological environment, we are currently exploring alternative e-learning software development tools. Our leading candidate is Captivate 9. It appears to have all the features missing in StoryLine (and much more). Also, it appears that CP9 is a much better value.
Recommendations to other buyersFor serious e-learning development, especially for HTML5, responsive and mobile development, there are better software tools than StoryLine.
December 7, 2016
Sam S.
eLearning Instructional Design Specialist
November 20, 2014

“Storyline Changed My Development Cycle”

OverallOver the past 15 years, since 1999, I've been developing eLearning in a variety of industries - education, health care, human resources, physician offices, community colleges, manufacturing and tourism. Originally, I developed in Authorware, then Firefly, then RoboDemo, then Camtasia (scary long list!) and then Captivate. The common denominator here was that each of these products (okay, maybe not so true of Camtasia) had a good size learning curve to adapt to the toolset and to get a project from inception to published content. Knowing that Articulate was behind Storyline, and having been an avid fan of Tom's blog ("The Rapid e-Learning Blog") - I was keen to check out what Storyline had to offer and I wasn't disappointed. The time that it took me to build my first, interactive course was super fast and, I have to say, I love(d) the GUI. And, yes, it's very PowerPoint like but I love that - I didn't have to relearn a new tools menu or deal with silly palettes that float. Now, I'm able to speed through production like never before (although, I don't tell too many of my clients how fast the cycle truly is!) - thanks to Storyline. The organic nature of the trigger and layer setup is ideal and I do have to say that the photographic character bundles are an added plus - the competition tried to copy this, but I don't think they have the same feel. And then there's the tutorials. There are tons of them and they are super appropriate (supplemented by Tom's blog) and I don't ever need to call for support (not true for some of the competitor products) so that's a big plus. The Community functions (the social bits) are pretty stellar, too. I can always visit the various support/community sites to get inspired, even on those days when I'm tired of looking at triggers. I highly recommend Storyline to anyone who has a similar background - education and graphics - it's a great tool to make that marriage everlasting and super conceptual.
November 20, 2014
Sameer K.
Lead Associate Training
E-Learning, 10,001+ employees
September 20, 2019

“Best tool for developing modules and for e-learning domain ”

OverallBest ever easy and functional tool ever made in eLearning domain as other tools in the market is not even in a queue.
ProsBest for developing any level module with ease and take lesser time as compared to another tool in the market. Having layers for interaction and we can do a lot more thing with it. It is having a responsive player which is required for staying top in the market and no need to devloped multiple times as other tools.
ConsIt is having online and offline tool variant online is at most updated and ofline version takes time to get that update, so the user needs to develop modules accordingly.
September 20, 2019
John H.
Instructional Design Manager
51-200 employees
November 7, 2017

“I have used Storyline for around four years now and have been very pleased with it. ”

OverallIt was incredibly easy to start using and has a large support system to help you as you progress.
ProsI love the ease and layout of Articulate, as anyone who has used powerpoint can easily adapt to the overall screen layout. Articulate can be as basic or as complex as you want to make it and so is a great opening tool for anyone looking to start in E-Learning development. The forums and customer support have been the big difference compared to Captivate.
ConsThe fact that there are numerous versions of Storyline at the moment does make it a bit puzzling for anyone who is new to the industry.
November 7, 2017
ulises m.
Personal de apoyo
June 27, 2018

“The world of teaching has radically changed”

ProsThis program is a marvel with an incredibly big potential for Elearning since it has the possibility of adding any audiovisual resource necessary for teaching, I also evaluate all the contents that are being worked on, and the best thing is that I have several evaluation instruments that It gives me the tool is for them that something unique.
ConsIn the time that I have been working with her, I allow myself to follow the progress of the students, see their work and how they have progressed with the subject. It is for them that until now I like everything about the program. The only necessary thing is a team that has good benefits because if it is not a bit slow but it works equally.
June 27, 2018
Henk T.
eLearning content developer
Education Management, Unspecified
August 24, 2016

“Articulate Storyline 2 Review”

OverallI find the entire suite of Articulate products to be user friendly, easy to navigate for users that just enter the eLearning development space up to advanced users. You can pretty much design and develop any project that you can think of.
ProsThe product is simple to navigate and all features are just a mouse click away. The general Microsoft "PowerPoint" feel makes it easy to adapt storyboards and convert it to eLearning. The publishing features are quite extensive, allowing publishing to most types of devices and platforms.
ConsThe costs of upgrading and version updates are excessive.
August 24, 2016
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
March 15, 2019

“Best tool for developing any courses and simulations ”

OverallBest experience ever had on this tool as other tool doesn't have the ease of development and less time taker.
ProsThe best part of this product is ease of developing any course its UI like Powerpoint and functional triggers are If else statments and can add external code like JavaScripts also. Overall very satisfied with this product.
ConsIts work on html very well but hyml5 has some limitations for some animations like wipe and split. The browser get updated every time and tool need to update accordingly.
March 15, 2019
Steven M.
Director of Learning and Development
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees
May 10, 2018

“Have built my career on this product, great but wish it was less buggy”

ProsThis product changed the industry, and change my career from a teacher to an eLearning professional. It is based on Microsoft and easy to use, and able to deliver effective content.
ConsIt is always and has been buggy, I have to allocate the same number of troubleshooting hours as I do development because of issues,. We have to test and test and test each course because of the bugs. Sometimes I do not upgrade the program when I have a version that is stable and does not crash or cause course issues.
May 10, 2018
Consumer Services, 1001-5000 employees
July 31, 2019

“Know Power point? You can do this!”

ProsCreation of all the assessments and the easy sharing when you receive the files. Also a nice way to create and to maintain trainings. I like that if you are a proficient user of power point you can definitely use this tool. So easy to access and to create all the required tool for delivering training to new hires.
ConsFirst time they show me how to use the tool it was complicated. However to be fair the pier that show me how to use it was not a proficient user. I stop using it for a long time. Not to long ago I attend another training on how to use the tool and I realized that it was easier than before.
July 31, 2019
Jill M.
Curriclum Spc./Instructional Design
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1000 employees
November 2, 2018

“I love Articulate”

OverallOverall, we have loved using Articulate as our authoring tool. We have to use mostly screen recordings and so aren't able to use many of the coolest features. But, we still love it and its ease of use + the fact that it keeps getting better and better.
ProsI love it. I am not a PowerPoint pro by any means - which would help - but it has been easy to learn.
ConsWell, like any software, it has occasional glitches and fairly frequent updates. But, mostly, they are improving with each update (as opposed to breaking things).
November 2, 2018
Consumer Goods, Unspecified
May 20, 2018

“This is a fantastic tool to create e-learning applications”

ProsCreating e-learning courses with Articulate storyline is something really easy to do. The interface is very straightforward and user-friendly. That does not mean, though, that it lacks on features. Everything you need to create your e-learning is offered. The tool allows you to select from a lot of templates so that you can start from a pre-design and then customise it to your needs. What really makes a difference with e-learning courses is to have its users engaged when they are taking them and one thing that makes this possible is the abilty to add interactiveness to it which is something you can easily achieve with Articulate Storyline. Another great feature is that you can adapt the course to a mobile device quite easily. One good thing about the company is that they offer both online and on-site training so that you can learn how to use the tool which is something that is really appreciated.
ConsIf you want to use the ability to share the slides with your team you have to pay for the 360 plan, of course, it is a nice feature to have but prices can easily go up with this plan.
May 20, 2018
Kelly W.
eLearning Technologies Manager
Professional Training & Coaching, Unspecified
April 13, 2017

“great blend of functionality”

OverallThis eCourse Development tool is a great blend of PowerPoint-type functionality along with customizable web-interface type stuff, like mouse-click triggers. Some of the features are a bit finicky to use (combination of configurations relying on complex order of events which is not apparent to the course developer). A few features do not operate as expected (such as copy text format onto other text) but the Customer Service is very responsive, especially on the Community chat board. Despite these few minor setbacks, definitely the best product of its type on the market.
Prosfull feature set
Conssome features are finicky
Recommendations to other buyersfree trial!
April 13, 2017
Nick E.
Learning & Performance Experience Designer
Education Management, Unspecified
August 11, 2016

“Quality E-Learning Made Simple”

OverallStoryline lets us get training to the field quickly. In a world where technology is changing at a fast pace, we need to be able to get learning content to our people as quickly as possible to stay ahead. With Storyline, we've created a host of solutions: soft-skills selling, CRM software training, scenarios on customer engagement, etc.
ProsArticulate creates products that solve problems we, the consumer, have. They don't push a "this is what you need" mentality on us. They find out what would make our jobs easier, and then they deliver. Don't we all wish every software company would do that?
ConsThere isn't much to complain about with this product. Maybe wishing it would be a little less expensive? But, you get what you pay for.
Recommendations to other buyersStoryline does a lot of the same things other products offer, but it does them in half the clicks with a better user interface and better customer and community support. Try it out! Actually build a course/experience in it.
August 11, 2016
Rosa Irene G.
Digital Artist
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
July 30, 2019

“My experience with Articulate Storyline”

OverallI genuinely loved this software and thought it was really fun creating E-learning platforms with it. Takes you no time to get started with it, it is super intuitive and allows you to develop your projects in no time, smoothly and with a nice quality.
Pros*Super easy to use *Intuitive and friendly *Interface reminds you of powerpoint, so it makes it super easy for you to learn how to use it. *Nice tools and features such as animations, video and audio recording, recording your desktop to create tutorials, layers, etc. *Super easy to "program" your E-Learning interface, like creating buttons and links. *No need to code almost anything.
Cons*Honestly, I did not find any cons in the time I used this software. It was super cool and pricing is reasonable.
July 30, 2019
teacher
June 12, 2018

“Easy to use software”

Pros+ Easy to use software with an easy learning curve + Fast software + Comprehensive because a lot of things can be created by the software
ConsThe biggest problem I have with the software is that after an update all individual projects need to be updated and uploaded. I understand that this is necessary. However, there is no option for batch conversion. This feature lacking is quite time consuming and inefficient.
June 12, 2018
DANIELLE T.
LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT
Insurance, 501-1000 employees
April 27, 2017

“Great product for moderate budget!”

OverallI have been using Articulate Storyline 1 and 2 for years. All the navigation and features are super intuitive for any Microsoft PC user. The best part of any Articulate software though is the online community for support and ideas! I have had so many successful projects that started with new ideas from this community!
Prosease of use; final product when published; variety of publish settings to customize
Consintegrating video and screen capture
Recommendations to other buyerstake advantage of the online community for support and ideas
April 27, 2017
Telecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
September 23, 2019

“Great Tool for Content Creation”

OverallOverall once you learn how to use it and focus on 1 task getting done. You can create great training material. It has been awesome for us all across and my clients are very happy.
ProsWith our new initiative on Instructional Design we are using the Storyline to help us engage our learners in training. It has been really easy for me to learn to use Storyline specially since I have am very familiar with using PowerPoint. I honestly think is is very similar which makes it easy for everyone to learn how to use it, I myself have taught a couple of new trainers as well.
ConsWe created emulators and got an error, it was very difficult to fix. There is a great community out there that helps but I wish it was more personalized.
September 23, 2019
Kyle T.
Training Content Developer
Building Materials, 1001-5000 employees
January 8, 2019

“Worth the money”

OverallI started using Storyline about 3 years ago when I'd started this current job. I dig it now when I have projects in it, but I had no idea how to use it back then. So, I've self taught with a lot of assistance from the incredible online community on the Articulate website. Things have changed considerably in the past 3 years. Now the application is part of a group that you must subscribe to for a premium cost. That being said, it delivers. The updates are frequent and substantial. So, I guess you kinda get what you pay for. A negative would be that it appears to be based in Powerpoint's shell. Not really as you're not required to own Powerpoint, but the look, the ribbon, etc. all scream Powerpoint. If you've tried to push Powerpoint to the edges, you know it's freaking clunky for sure. The inability to precisely place images, etc. can be super frustrating. All this being said, we use the Rise software that's included in the package is invaluable as is the Review feature that is also included. So, it's kind of a must for my work. Maybe yours too.
Pros- It delivers for the most part - Gives us the ability to create unique interactive training - Multiple output methods - Online community is invaluable
Cons- The learning curve is big - It's pricey - Damned subscription now too - Clunky at times
January 8, 2019
Dwayne W.
e-Learning Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
August 29, 2018

“Best eLearning tool on the market”

ProsThe learning curve with Storyline is much shorter than with the the offering of other major authoring tools. So you get high quality output in a fraction of the time, because it has a look and feel that is quite familiar to the average computer user.
ConsThere are limits to the functionality of hot spot quizzes. You are unable to functionally create multiple hotspots.
August 29, 2018
john b.
Instructional designer
Retail, 10,001+ employees
August 25, 2017

“Love it!!!”

Overallease of use mostly
ProsStoryline is very easy to pick up especially if you have prior experience utilizing the powerpoint platform, ,even if you don't you get plenty of support on articulate with tutorials, users, and articulate employees who are more than willing to help you.
ConsIt's harder to get acclimated to storyline if you started off using either captivate or Lectora other than that no complaints
August 25, 2017
Maggie C.
Teammate Learning & Development Partner
April 12, 2017

“Storyline Makes My Job Easy!”

OverallI really enjoy using Storyline. It has a very intuitive interface. If you can use PowerPoint, you can figure out Storyline. The object/function triggers are very easy to use in comparison to other elearning products. So far, my only issue is that is doesn't offer responsive design. Though, the course player can resize itself to the viewing window.
ProsEase of Use, Cost, Customer Support, Features
ConsLack of Ability to Design Responsively
Recommendations to other buyersThe Articulate community is second to none!
April 12, 2017
Jason P.
Training and Quality Specialist
Retail, 501-1000 employees
June 29, 2016

“The go-to software for amazing eLearning!”

OverallI'm going into my sixth month using Articulate Storyline 2 and have already cranked out some incredible eLearning and presentations. The interface is relatively easy to use for anyone familiar with PowerPoint and the options to create are endless.
ProsThe mantra is simple--what do you want to do? when do you want it to happen? Those two questions are all it takes to start some amazing creation. The tool is nearly limitless.
ConsBecause there are so many ways that you can do the same thing, it can be a bit daunting just getting started with the software.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you're making the investment in the software I highly recommend investing in some professional training on it as well. Though it's easy to use--the lessons that I learned in my training were priceless and would've saved me a lot of work hours on a few projects that I completed prior to class.
June 29, 2016
Joshua R.
Creative Director
June 6, 2019

“Best on the Market”

ProsIf you are looking to create an E-Learning course, Articulate is for you. So easy to setup and get going right away and with customization for any need you may have.
ConsWhen a problem does come up as they do with all software, Customer service doesn't have the fastest response time. But they do get back to you and eventually help with issues.
June 6, 2019
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
August 9, 2018

“Excellent software for designing interactive learning”

ProsI have been using Articulate Storyline for a couple years now to design interactive online courses. For us, it has been the perfect software to do this, and I have really enjoyed learning the ins and outs of designing courses. It's extremely customizable and there are an almost infinite number of ways something can be designed, which allows us the flexibility to create courses with the specific criteria that we often have. The interface is occasionally clunky, but not so much that it's unusable, and the courses that we can create are beautiful and definitely not clunky.
ConsIt is very logic-based, which is not a con but is just a thing to be aware of. There are so many different trigger and state options that can be customized, which on the one hand is amazing and on the other hand can lead to some confusion or conflicting triggers, which can then break the interaction. If you're planning on using this software for complex interactions, I would recommend becoming familiar with the principles of object-oriented programming.
August 9, 2018
Marcy H.
Instructional Designer / eLearning Developer
July 4, 2018

“UI is clear & east to navigate; those who aren't developer specialists can great learning videos”

ProsQuickly develop eLearning due to simplified UI most people can pick up and go with! Most new users can create interesting and engaging videos using scenario and branching and includes good selection of built in variables and for the more advanced, ability to create custom variables. Many others, too many to list. It's a good product IMO and I believe less expensive than others for multiple licenses.
ConsI don't have any specific cons, but in general, being an advanced eLearning developer, I find other products, although more difficult to master at first, offer more advanced functions, settings and options across the board to whist as quickly build, edit, and publish highly interactive online learning.
July 4, 2018
Monique C.
Technical staff
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
October 26, 2017

“New version not that much better”

OverallIt was quite easy to create scorm packages that we can upload to moodle
Pros- Easy to use and understand: everything is quite easy to find and to use. Creating an e-learning module can be done with minimal learning - Many functions: there are enough options to create basic to complex e-learning modules - Fast: it is quite fast
Cons- I did not need support that much but when I did it did not help me and even wasted time. - Version 3 is not that much more improved or expanded compared to version 2. There are bugs in version 3 that should be fixed.
October 26, 2017
Scott B.
Senior Instructional Designer
Logistics and Supply Chain, 5001-10,000 employees
April 18, 2017

“Good all around elearning tool”

OverallFor ease of use, Storyline 2 is unparalleled in my opinion. Even if you haven't used an elearning tool before, you'll find it easy to pick up and learn. The support community is a great resource if you get stuck. My biggest complaint is the lack of a style sheet, which creates a LOT of manual formatting work. You can make slide masters like PowerPoint, but no universal CSS like style sheet.
ProsEase of use, community
ConsManual text formatting required
April 18, 2017
Montse A.
September 18, 2015

“Freedom to create versatile eLearning”

OverallArticulate offers great eLearning products with many capabilities but most importantly, the user community is absolutely fantastic! The users offer so much support as well as the Articulate staff. The well-seasoned to the first time user will benefit from the encouragement and technical expertise freely offered. I use Articulate Storyline to create eLearning courses. I appreciate the many features, such as the layers and the trigger options. The layer and trigger options allow instructional designers to create engaging interactions. Learners don't appreciate reading bullets while listening to narration on every slide so the extra features allow learners to actively engage with the content by clicking around and getting immediate feedback, etc. Designers can create fun activities and include sound and video. The free form quizzing options are terrific for creating custom quizzes and I really appreciate the publishing options as well, especially if you are designing for mobile delivery. Lastly, I love the translate options. I'm frequently engaged by foreign clients who require eLearning in their native language. Using the translation feature saves my client a great deal of money. I also appreciate being able to check a box in the player to change all the back-end text like the previous, next, and try again, in the client's native language. Joyfully, many languages are included, even Sanskrit! Okay, I'm totally kidding about the Sanskrit! I love Storyline and I love Articulate! It's a great company with a lot of great people who are willing to help and love what they do!
September 18, 2015
Emilio H.
Product Manager
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
April 5, 2019

“A very powerful content creation tool”

OverallWe get asked a lot by our clients about different tools to use to create content for their courses (we sell an LMS platform), and the ones we reccommend the most are iSpring and Storyline. Storyline is very powerful, maybe a bit harder to use, but it integrates well with our LMS and has very deep customization options allowing our clients to create really engaging and complex learning experiences.
ProsIts a very powerful tool that allows users to create complex and engaging learning material. Quizzes, graded assignments, self evaluations, and more. It's great that it can create non linear paths so interactions get more complex. It also has great export options that allow good integration with out LMS.
ConsEven if the UI is similar to most Office products, which would make it familiar to users, it's a bit harder to get started with because it has so many options to customize it that some users get overwhelmed. However, for our english speaking clients, there is a big community of storyline users who always helps. For non english speakers...its a bit harder to get help.
April 5, 2019
Randy Y.
Instructional Design Professional
Medical Devices, 5001-10,000 employees
February 23, 2019

“Top Selling Point: Ease of Use ”

OverallIt is a decent and easy to use design software, and it gets the job done.
ProsEasy to use. User finely interface saves some design time.
ConsIt lacks certain features. For example, it is impossible to record 2 or more separate assessment scores within one course designed by this software. Also, it has limited resolution for its embedded visual media.
February 23, 2019
James E.
Instructional Design Developer
Accounting, 501-1000 employees
January 16, 2019

“Great tool for rapid development ”

OverallIt is the go to tool for my needs, quick, simple and easy to use.
ProsEase of use. Simple way of working. Allows ease of use for beginners as well as the capability to develop more complex modules for the experienced users.
ConsThe lack of video creation, publish in mp4. Lack of accessibility features for disability users.
January 16, 2019
1001-5000 employees
July 12, 2018

“Makes e-learning development easy”

ProsI really like this software. It's made developing e-learning (especially HTML5) very easy. The user interface is very intuitive, especially if you're familiar with PowerPoint or other Office products. The functionality has improved with each release (the inclusion of motion paths was huge!) The E-Learning Heros online community is a great place to get help and ideas from Articulate staff and power users.
ConsThe product does have a tendency to crash from time to time, but if you save frequently, that isn't an issue. I think some work could be done to make the creation of animations a bit easier, but by and large there are not a lot of downsides to this program.
July 12, 2018
Dean/teacher
Alternative Medicine, 1-10 employees
October 11, 2017

“Fantastic software to make e-learning. Very helpful support”

OverallWe create many e-learning modules and this is quite easy.
ProsIt is very easy to (learn to) use. It can be used to make simple or very complex elearning modules.
ConsSometimes the software simply shuts down or freezes in certain situations, fortunately there is a autosave function. What would be a great addition is batch conversion of several storyline files.
October 11, 2017
Irina D.
director
June 29, 2018

“Best all-rounder in the e-learning world ”

OverallBest in e-learning
ProsThis software has everything to develop decent e-leanring courses. You can convert your PowerPoint presentaions into courses, develop quizzes etc.
ConsNo great complains. The company has a great community that can help you and answer any question. Support is good too.
June 29, 2018
Alex V.
e-learning developer
February 9, 2018

“Experienced user”

OverallExcellent authoring tool
ProsThat is amazing software, if you know MS software you can easily learn how to use it. Very powerful and swift authoring tool!
ConsProbably the price. Bugs sometimes, but regularly updated and fixed. For the 360 edition there is no option to buy your own set of applications.
February 9, 2018