Planning Center Ratings

Overall
4.7/5
4.4/5
4.6/5

About Planning Center

At Planning Center, we are passionate about helping churches by making great applications that are affordable, powerful, and easy to use on any device. We do that through several different products: Check-Ins, Giving, Groups, People, Registrations, Resources and Services. Each product is continually updated to make it the best in its market! Learn more about Planning Center

Josiah E.
Young Adults Pastor
October 17, 2019

“Is Planning Center the way to go?”

OverallOverall, I think Planning Center is a good product...when you figure something out and it does what you want it to do, it's amazing. It's just getting to that point which is the pain for the majority of the time. Because there's a different "Platform" for each area Planning Center has, "Services" "People" "Groups" "Registrations" "Check-in's" so forth...they are similar but not 1 platform.
ProsThere is so much that Planning Center can do. I love that there is a way to get pretty much anything I want to do done. It's also the major giant when it comes to church systems and platforms.
ConsThe reason I chose this software to speak to is because of a major issue I've had with planning center which is, duplicating what I'm able to do with other people. It's quite difficult replicating ALL that Planning Center can do. In my line of work, getting multiple people to do what I do is GOLD...with Planning Center, I spend a lot of my time looking at tutorial videos and in the help menu trying to figure out how to do something that I'm almost positive it can do. So, when raising up other leaders to use Planning Center, they are often left frustrated and decide to just not. Not to mention, when I have somebody in charge of Planning Center for our ministry, they usually last no longer than a year, before they burn out. The reality is, planning and working directly with volunteers is an ANIMAL in itself. Dealing with people cancelling, forgetting, double booking, or complaining is no fun job for any scheduler...so dealing with certain frustrations with Planning Center is the last thing that individual wants. So what's the solution? Perhaps share the work-load with multiple people doing the scheduling...however, we never get to that point because of the difficulty of the program to the average volunteer. It's not impossible...but it's also not easy. I consider myself pretty computer savvy and every now and again during big events I assist the scheduler for that specific event and even though I've used Planning Center off and on for years...I'm always left frustrated.

By Planning Center on October 22, 2019
We certainly don't want you to have stress when it comes to training others using our products. Something we've done recently to help with this is to make our Planning Center University courses more accessible. We recommend that you have new leaders/volunteers to review these courses. It will help set in all on the path to success! https://planning.center/university
October 17, 2019
Stephanie H.
Church and Service Coordinator
October 11, 2019

“Above and Beyond for Church Management Software”

OverallPlanning Center is a product that I don't just appreciate for its function in my life - it's a product I truly love. My experience is so positive when I interact with Planning Center, due to this. The software is ridiculously affordable, and adjust based off of your church size and use. This makes it such a blessing to small churches such as ours. Planning Center is also ever-growing, with new features and functions popping up rather frequently. I look forward to continued use of this product, because I know they will continue to grow and develop as a product as it remains highly useful and affordable.
ProsUsing Planning Center is like having the church volunteer who can do it all. The options in all its planning categories is so robust, our small team is easily able to keep track of volunteers, kids, donations, visitors, and more. We especially love the scheduling and volunteers - the categories are easy for the staff to set up, and easy for the volunteers to understand. The opt-in for volunteers to confirm or decline a role is so easy, the volunteer does not even have to be signed in. This feature makes it so very easy to schedule the workload from week to week, and make sure each member of the team has the help it needs!
ConsI feel that their "groups" function is a little lacking - there's some basic features for setting up groups and protecting host information (such as home address), but I've seen other church group software that provides much more in terms of communication, tracking, etc. Thankfully, Planning Center intends to expand upon this feature, and I trust that they will eventually.
October 11, 2019
Sean L.
Associate Pastor
September 28, 2019

“Church management software that scales with your organization”

OverallThe overall experience with PCO is a good one. It is robust and continually has new, helpful features being added. It is a fantastic tool for tracking and managing people resources, donations, volunteers, and communication. I would highly recommend PCO for any church looking for a full featured ChMs without an oversized price tag.
ProsPlanning Center Online (PCO) is a scalable church or organizational software that adapts with your needs and provides great features that meet nearly all of the organizational needs. PCO offers event organization, people management, resource management, a donation platform, volunteer scheduling, and groups management. All this along with a solid communication platform and several third party integrations make PCO a powerful tool for any church or organization.
ConsThere are some features lacking such as built-in texting capabilities or whole-organization integration such as web site and app. The PCO app is not branded and lacks in features but most parts of PCO will integrate into other website platforms such as Wix.
Eric E.
September 28, 2019

“Best ChMS every church needs”

OverallWorkflows, workflows, workflows. This saves us a ton of a time each week. Attendance is easy to track with the Headcounts app. Services app for planning worship, communicating with volunteers, and scheduling the team is essential.
ProsI like having individual apps for the different functions in PCO. Each module/app is easy to use and setup. Plus they all integrate seamlessly with one another. Workflows for everyday tasks like first time guest follow up, volunteer email/communication, event registration, and attendance is extremely valuable.
ConsAfter using multiple church management systems, PCO has all the features we need...so not real cons for me.
Daniel S.
Worship Minister
September 11, 2019

“Comparison to WorshipTeam software”

OverallOverall, I do like Planning Center, but I am really torn, because the "Cons" chew up a ton of my time. In my previous church (5 years ago), I DID use Planning Center and thought it was great. I realize that Planning Center is the "BIG PLAYER", but there are definitely things they could improve to make the experience easier.
Pros1. Parts Storage - I can store my keyboard parts, lead sheets, chord sheets all in one place 2. Templates for services is very handy - saves a couple minutes each week allowing me to just add in my songs and any special things happening in the service. 3. Matrix view of plans and people - I do my people planning every 2 months, so it's nice to see 2 months worth of services all on one screen and fill in the blanks. 4. Black out dates - each team member can block out dates that they are not available, so I don't even need to bother asking them 5. Music Stand app - allows all of my musicians to be totally paperless (using an ipad), even my piano player (since I can import her music right into planning center along with my lead sheets from SongSelect). In WorshipTeam, I first have to create a PDF, and I can only create the PDF with Chord charts. I can actually turn pages for all of my musicians simultaneously using a session. 6. Notifications - I love the automatic notifications of members for upcoming services they are assigned to 7. Church Management - great tool for planning nursery workers, sunday school workers, ushers, greeters, etc. And they all get email/text reminders too! 8. Auto import of chord charts from SongSelect is great (too bad it won't also import my lead sheets) 9. I have heard of the ability to automatically create my projection slides from my weekly plan including proper sequence for each song - no mismatch of words between slides and chord charts.
Cons1. Transposing songs is PAINFUL! In WorshipTeam, I can transpose with one click. I don't have to manually transpose the MP3 for the song and the chord chart is automatically transposed too. In our church, we have a lot of altos and basses. Rarely do we ever do a song in the original key. 2. Library is self populated. In WorshipTeam, I have the songs I have added to the library, but also all the songs that everyone else has added. So, for contemporary songs, they are usually already in the library for my use all ready to go. When I have a substitute worship leader, they are extremely daunted by the task of adding a song to the library in Planning Center. I don't know if they will ever do it even though I wrote out a procedure for them. 3. Not sure, but I think the storage area is limited in Planning Center. So, if I have created to many alternate keys of songs, I will eventually run out of space? 4. CCLI reporting is more complicated. With WorshipTeam, a report is easily created with one click and I don't have to keep track of anything on a weekly basis.

By Planning Center on September 12, 2019
Thanks for your honest review, Daniel! Many of the items in your CONS list are things we can help you with. Would you reach out to our support team at support@planning.center and we'll help get some of these pain points resolved!
September 11, 2019
Justin F.
Production Director
Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees
July 23, 2019

“A must for Houses of Worship!”

OverallOverall, it's an excellent tool and I would highly recommend it. It's a must-have for anyone planning events, especially those in Houses of Worship.
ProsIt makes planning an event flow very easy and intuitive. It's a simple process to upload files and media to attach when creating an event flow, and it's easy to add additional notes and comments to aid in transitions. The timing features make it easy to track session lengths, and PCO Live is a great way to communicate real-time updates to users.
ConsThe Teams feature could be developed a bit more. When managing a checklist, there's no way to skip over items and come back to them later...everything must be completed linearly. In addition, it's difficult to go back and make edits after the fact or even view past progress and notes.

By Planning Center on July 24, 2019
Hey Justin, Thanks for taking the time to write an honest review of our software! Sounds like you may have some ideas for how it could be improved. If you haven't already, we'd love it if you shot some of those ideas over to us at support@planning.center. Thanks!
Timothy H.
July 18, 2019

“Our Virtual Assistant”

OverallOur team has come to a place of embracing this product and using it well for planning worship events. Early on, it was a bit of a learning curve. Having been use to software having phone support with programs. Over all, this product has become a virtual part of our team. We like the ability to update it on the fly, even in the middle of an event. We have also used the "groups" portion of the app, but not a lot. Our next adventure with this product is to be implementing the "check-in" portion of the app. The PlanningCenter portion is great for setting up teams to serve and for bringing our sheet music library into the 'plan.'
ProsThis app/program has become a great aid in planning worship services and events for our Sunday Services and other events. It helps us get all of our information into one spot. Secondly, in planning our worship services and other events, it has become a template that leads us to our 'finished product,' a well planned and detailed event.
ConsAll support is done through tutorials and through email contacts. There is no phone support, at least that I have found.

By Planning Center on July 23, 2019
Hey Timothy, thanks so much for your feedback and sharing how the software helps your Team get to the finished product for your events. As for phone support, you are able to schedule a call via the (?) on the top right of the app you have questions in. While email support is the fastest most efficient way to receive support. You can still schedule a call via the (?) via the "open a ticket" modal. Hope you have a blessed one!
July 18, 2019
Jason H.
Worship and Arts Pastor
Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

“Interface”

OverallI would also take a moment and think through the basics of the site. If the goal is to do something basic like add a song, or even to rehearse a song [Which is difficult to do, or at least not clear to my older choir members], then it should be easy to see, and easy to execute. I love the fact that things are customizable, and that I can plan my service down to the second, but the moment I go to show someone else how to run basic things especially within the app, I am painfully aware that the interface could be tweaked to help make things a little bit easier for the users who are using your products the most. Most churches are less than 50 people. Most church members are baby boomers. Do your market research with that demographic in mind and I bet you will quickly see what works and does not work with regards to your interface. That being said, anyone outside of that demographic is willing to find out how to do things from youtube tutorials, so keep those up to date and looking nice and you will remain at the top of the church-planning food chain.
Pros The things that Planning Center does well, it does very well. It always delivers notifications and I feel that it is reliable. Every single time that one of the people on my team have had an issue with the software, it was incredibly simple to resolve, and usually was a case of user preferences that needed adjustments. For the majority of the people that benefit from the software, the experience is seamless and professional. Due to the fact that most of the people who use Planning Center are not directly paying for the software, it has set itself apart as the crown of church planning resources. It is certainly my first suggestion to new worship pastors or churches that are trying to become organized. The fact that it can take care of so many different church needs from one platform is also worth mentioning. My church uses another system for online giving, but it is comparable to what Planning Center offers. We are in the process of transitioning all of our check-in systems to Planning Center and it is significantly cheaper and easier to use than ANYTHING else on the market right now.
ConsMy experience with Planning Center is not limited to, but mostly within the realm of "Services" so that is where I will spend most of my time. Before that, however, I will mention that while I know of a number of people who enjoy the "Music Stand" app, Planning Center does not offer the best deal for the service. Apps like Onsong, while expensive up-front, are not a monthly expense and allow for many file types and importing formats, including the ability to download the music straight from "Services." This allows for some freedom in set design and application as many of my musicians are playing during the week and not at the church. If they could pay once for "Music Stand" and also import the secular music into their setlists, they would use the app outside of a Sunday morning context. Now for the interface. One of the best tools in "Services" is the REPORTS section. And while I love the way it looks now, it has lost a lot of versatility. It is difficult to select the date for the reports, not to mention, hard to find the reports to begin with. Now, if I want to find songs from last Christmas, I really have to hunt to find the reports, find the right drop-down bar, and select "custom" on the display. Why not keep the custom option in the bar to begin with, and have the presets in the drop down bar? There is just a lot of unused real estate on that particular page, and I have spent too much time trying to relearn something that wasn't much easier in the last edition.
Jordan C.
Associate Minister
June 27, 2019

“Best CMS out there.”

OverallIf I didn't have a tool like this to keep everything together and organized, I probably would not still be in the ministry. PCO has helped me stay organized and lead my teams better than I ever could have on my own.
ProsScheduling volunteers and planning worship services - these two things drew me to PCO back in 2007. This was before it was a full featured CMS and even then I was recommending it to churches as a superior worship planning tool.
ConsNow that it is much a much more full featured CMS, it can be a little less intuitive to use at times. I find that my team members often are unable to intuitively learn how to do some specific things - like building lists and flows in the People database. Good thing they have great tutorials and customer support.
June 27, 2019
David B.
Technology Manager
February 20, 2019

“Amazing Church Management Software”

OverallOverall, Planning Center is a pleasure to use and the support team is one of the best I've ever seen. They care about their customers and strive to make sure their product works perfectly. The development of these tools is ongoing and new features arrive all the time. Planning Center is a textbook example of how to do church management software right.
ProsI love that Planning Center makes church management easy and fun. The web interface just keeps getting better and the developers are very active in trying to meet the needs of their customers. Its modular design ensures that it has tools available for all churches no matter how big or small. The prices are fair and you only have to pay for the parts that you use. Planning Center has transformed the way we manage our church and has improved communication between our leadership and our church body. This is a must-have tool for any church interested in improving the way they operate.
ConsWhile I know that this is a work-in-progress, I find the lack of consistency across the various modules to be an issue. When a new feature is released in one module, it can take some time for it to migrate across the entire software platform. This causes confusion to those of us who are using nearly every tool offered by Planning Center. Additionally, some modules force users to use the archaic and difficult to use Markdown coding langue to format outgoing emails. To make matters worse, there is no email preview in the Markdown editor. So, it's a mystery if the code was entered correctly until after you hit the send button. Frustratingly, some modules do provide users with a full, rich text editor for correspondence. Why don't all of them?
February 20, 2019
Jonathan B.
November 13, 2018

“A strong suite with a little too much monopoly”

OverallQuality way of maintaining a database of church members that integrates well into scheduling them to serve, checking in their kids, or having them sign up for events or small groups. Nothing else quite like it out there in the market right now!
ProsI love that it has a variety of different tools that are not only practical but have swiftly become necessary to running ministries in the church. I can't imagine using another software for scheduling teams, checking in kids, or organizing our small groups. This truly is a robust central point for our database management at our church, and it's in a whole other category than any other church management software because of its significantly lower price point.
ConsPerhaps it's because of the price point, but where Planning Center fails in its ability to stay innovative and continually becoming more intuitive in its design and structure. I can't tell you how many times, even after years of use, I have spent dozens of minutes trying to find a certain feature or settings option that still evaded my insight for where it should go. Also, despite regular suggestions for updates to make the software stronger, I rarely see them innovating. If they didn't hold such a strong monopoly, I would not be surprised to see them ousted by a more aggressively advancing competitor.

By Planning Center on November 15, 2018
Thanks for your honest review, Jonathan! We'd love the chance to chat with you about your comments. You can email us at support@planning.center. We're working hard to update our apps often to keep them competitive. This month, we've pushed out major feature updates to Resources, Registrations, Groups, and Services. We have many exciting updates coming before the end of the year as well!
November 13, 2018
Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees
November 1, 2018

“This is the software you want”

OverallI can't reccomend planning center enough. It's easy to use. It looks good when integrated with our website and digital signage. It encourages collaboration between teams. While it doesn't have an accounting module that kind of thing is best left up to the experts; intuit's products handle accounting much better than any church management software anyway. If you're not already using planning center services, you really should it makes planning worship so much easier and once you see how great that is you'll want to get groups, resources, and everything else and by that time most of your database is already populated and the people module is free. You'll be swapped over to it as your main church management software before you even realize it.
ProsIt is the most user-friendly software. They have more features than you'll ever need and it makes collaboration a breeze. The system always functions as it should and most of the time the development team is several steps ahead, putting out new features that are actually helpful. The fact that they work with groups like renewed vision to integrate with propresenter is incredibly valuable. Everything being cloud based also makes it easy to collaborate between departments on events. Their groups search is easy to use, resolution-responsive and looks great integrated into any website. The kiosk option in their events module makes dynamic calendar-based digital signage really simple. Everyone who has ever resisted adopting planning center at our church has eventually come around to really like it.
ConsIf you have a need for a feature the development team is going to tell you that they may add it one day and never commit to a release. Also they don't offer any training other than videos online - for savvy people this isn't much of a problem because their interface is so user friendly, but if you have staff who refuse to learn things on their own this will deter them from wanting to adopt planning center - though it shouldn't because it is really easy to learn. The pricing model can be somewhat confusing at times and I wish there was more of a discount for people using multiple modules; a large church can get close to spending a thousand dollars a month without much trouble, though I know this is comparable to some other platforms and honestly you get what you pay for.
November 1, 2018
Jayden F.
Full-Time Music Education Student
March 19, 2018

“When it comes to all-in-one church planning and management, Planning Center is second to none.”

ProsIt offers almost every feature you can imagine necessary for your church, regardless of your position. As a leader, you have the ability to set up a plan for an entire service, including music sets, speakers, sermon notes, etc. with as much or little detail as you like. You can then share this with any or all members of your team for their reference. Chain emails can be sent for reminders of meetings, worship rehearsals, or other information. For worship pastors, you are also able to attach chord charts, song files, and list of members for future worship sets, allowing everybody to have access to practice materials and be on the same page. There is also an ability to create your own chord charts for songs you've written, along with personal notes for your band to follow directly from you. For the congregation, there is a hub for offering/donations that can be done completely electronically. Members can also have their own profiles to check in, register for church events, and more. The best part of all of this is that it's all categorized, making every feature streamlined and easy to setup, use, and view. Most software becomes complicated when jam-packed with as many features as Planning Center, however the folks here have done a fantastic job of laying everything out in a logical and easy-to-use way, for the most part.
ConsWhile most features are streamlined, some are buried underneath others, and thus require a bit of digging to figure out every last odd-and-end in the program (of which there are a lot). This isn't detrimental, but it is good to know that you'll have to be willing to invest a little bit of time to truly master everything.
March 19, 2018
Nicholas L.
Finance Director & Dinner Groups Director
February 22, 2018

“It's core programs are stellar”

OverallAll in one stop shop for Church Database Management
ProsPlanning Center is a great all in one suite for a church database. Their customer support is really good. They will respond to your email within an hour. They've had a slack channel that is also helpful for you to learn from others how they are using the software. The majority of their products are great. People, Services, Check-In are best in class in my opinion. Resources and Registrations are good they get the job done. One of Planning Centers best features is that they are constantly making quality improvements. Their updates keep them at the top of the ChMS game. I've witnessed others get the lead and they play it safe or drop the ball. Or they just built such a large product that its too big to update. People -Easy to import and export (this is a must feature in my opinion for any database) -Customizable (again another dealbreaker for me if a database doesnt have that) -F R E E Service - The best volunteer management software in any industry Check-In -Simple to use and straightforward -Beautiful UI
ConsGroups and Giving are what I like least about Planning Center. We had to move on from PC Giving because after 2 years of using it they never added the ability to mass import donations or work with outside vendors. I would have loved to have been able to integrate PushPay with Planning Center. It would have saved us H O U R S. I would have loved to have our members see their entire history of giving. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to manually re-enter every gift. That would take months to complete and we are only 10 years old as a church! Reporting could be much improved too. You can really only search by one category at a time. So if you want to look at everyone who has given to a certain fund by check you'd have to export the info to get that. Groups is still in beta in my opinion and have been since they launched in June of 2016. It's not complete or usable in my opinion. All it does is take attendance. Our groups are more than just taking attendance. Every group's system has a span of care (coaching structure) but groups don't have anything to assist you with that. It also doesn't receive many updates. The team that works on giving also works on groups so giving naturally gets all the priority. Finally, one thing that scares me about Planning Center is that some of the staff can be really arrogant. I don't know if it's because of how many users they have and managing all the requests but they don't listen well enough.

By Planning Center on February 28, 2018
Hi Nicholas, Thanks for your review. We've had a lot of changes to our teams in the past two months, and the Giving/Groups team has been split in to two separate teams to help advance both of those products faster. It still might be awhile before Giving has a way to bulk-import payments, but adding the ability to track external payments in September was a step in that direction. It's definitely concerning that you feel our staff is arrogant, so if you would like to contact me directly about experiences that contributed to this feeling, I'll gladly look into it with you. Reagan Helms Support Team Lead Planning.center
February 22, 2018
Kevin M.
Worship Pastor
July 21, 2017

“I couldn't imagine church service planning without PCO!”

OverallIt revolutionized my planning and communication process. It made it so much easier to see who is serving when and to know whether or not they've been sent certain communication pieces and resources. It also makes it simple to collaborate with others on the planning process.
ProsI've been in church music ministry for over 14 years now. I've tried and evaluated several pieces of software over the years. I always came away with the sense that software packages certainly worked for someone, but I would have to change several things to fit into most of them. That was until I found Planning Center. During my first contact with the product, I was thinking, "Who has been spying on me and conspiring to make my work simpler?" Planning Center is designed for church event & volunteer management by people who operate in that realm. They understand the challenges and needs of people serving in churches, and their software makes it incredibly easy to keep people in the loop and keep spots filled. Their customer support is second-to-none. In their early days, they had some issues with their hosting company. They live-tweeted as someone drove to the server farm, pulled their servers, and drove to a new hosting company that offered guaranteed up-time. We all understand that stuff happens. They won a lot of loyalty as their customers saw them doing everything humanly possible to make their product reliable.
ConsOne feature I'm hoping for soon is the ability to incorporate calendar invitations into people's serving schedule. As it stands now, you can subscribe to a calendar of your PCO activity, but it's a separate calendar. Not everyone will do that. As a result, I've been inviting people to Google Calendar events based on who is serving when, just to try to make sure it gets on people's schedules. It would be nice for that functionality to be integrated into PCO instead of doing it separately. When someone accepts an invitation to serve, they get a calendar invitation sent to the email address they indicated was their primary calendar. Other than that, I really have no complaints.
July 21, 2017
RJ P.
January 30, 2017

“Great Church Management Software”

OverallI love almost everything about PCO, I've used many different CMSs over the last few years, and PCO has been the best. Their best apps are: The original "Services" is fantastic and the most polished. Works great not just for (all though especially for) worship team. It is also great for Children's/kids church, greeters, ushers, refreshment team, really any team! The next best is also their fantastic "check-ins" works great! they have thought through these well and made excellent improvements. Fast, reliable, intuitive, versatile, really just great. The third best and it starts to fall off pretty quickly from here, is their "People" app, it works well, they have mad significant improvements and honestly I think the reason this one does not seem to work as well as i wish it would is because of the other apps they've created... I'll try to explain. "Giving" seems to really frustrate my finance ladies. One works for several churches and she is not a fan of how things work in PCO, especially if you collect money through Text, or registrations... it seems to become very difficult to resolve on her end... i don't really know finance though, so i can't be more help there. "Registration" and "Groups" are all great efforts that seem to have too much crossover and convolution with each other but also "Check-ins". It can be hard to tell if a group should be entered into "groups" or "check-ins" or both.Such as Youth Ministry? Group or Check-in? Both take/track attendance, each in different ways with plusses and minuses each way. But good luck getting a useful report out of either them. Also if you use "Registration" to collect funds for an event, it's great for tracking that, but your finance office will hate you because it doesn't seem to report with everything else, so it adds a bunch of extra steps, i thought we were doing it wrong so they called PCO and basically got a "Sorry that's how it works." These apps all allow you to enter new people into the "People" app, and you also expect to find useful info on member activity in "People" but you really can't find much useful info on individual, just "Lists" of people. Reporting (in "People" or in the apps themselves) fails to be as useful as you need because of the overlap and convolution... want to know who didn't attend this week? No way to find out. Missed 3 times in the last 6 meetings? No way to find out. Want to see how attendance is going in each of your small groups in the church. sorry.
Proslisted in my review
Consalso listed in my review
Recommendations to other buyersin my review
January 30, 2017
John H.
Lead
September 10, 2019

“Not sure why anyone uses anything else”

OverallOverall I LOVE this product. It's specifically set up for church ministries and makes what we do look easy. The user experience is second to none, and makes everything we do better!
ProsI love that you can plan services, schedule servers, communicate with servers, check in kids, set up groups, create event registrations, take payments for said events, receive giving and send giving statements all in one place. AND you can access this online or on an app. PLUS, there are individual apps for Church Center that people can interact with information, check-ins and headcounts. Seriously, what are you waiting for?
ConsThere are small aspects of each module that can get a little confusing. Creating groups and all of the different settings can be confusing. Making sure people can see it, sign up, get communication can be overwhelming. That's just one example. I love that they give options, I wish some of the options were put in the hands of the people interacting. i.e. I sign up for a group and know I'm forgetful, so I click a box to be reminded. My friend though is very organized and doesn't want all the emails. He signs up and says "no thank you" to the reminders.

By Planning Center on September 11, 2019
Hey John, Thanks for leaving an honest review of our software! Just wanted to reach out and mention that if you haven't already sent in some of these suggestions to our team you should. While we don't always work exactly the way people expect us to, we are always looking for ways to improve our apps, and a large part of that is user feedback. Any ideas you have you can send in to us at support@planning.center. Thanks!
September 10, 2019
Matthew E.
Production Technology Specialist
July 3, 2019

“The only service we need to plan and execute our events”

OverallExcellent overall experience, we have never or very rarely had any service issues with the site crashing or anything like that. Just little bugs here and there which are always quickly resolved.
ProsThe seamless integration of various elements and components of our service or event. The ease of adding songs and lyrics, media elements, notes and documentation, organization of all the pieces, easy scheduling of staff and volunteers and ease of communicating to all those involved. The continued innovation and adding of features, listening well to their user base.
ConsSome of the setup and coding of reports has a big learning curve, and some settings have been hard to find in the past, but the user support is there when we need it.
July 3, 2019
Chad W.
Creative Arts Director
Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees
May 13, 2019

“Indispensable software, far outshines the competition”

OverallPlanning Center is an absolute must for any church or non-profit. They have everything you need, and they help you organize even better than you thought you could. There's literally no reason not to use it!
ProsPlanning Center has a suite of software that integrates so seamlessly and offers so much to help the teams. The team who plans and develops Planning Center has a deep understanding of the unique environment that churches are in, and their software constantly delivers modern tools to navigate it. I use Services the most, and it does everything you could ask it to. The newly redesigned interface is beautiful, intuitive, and fast. The power user features make editing and managing songs and people easy. The android and iOS apps are top notch as well. You can do most of what you would need to on mobile, and the apps report any updates instantly. Oh yeah, pricing is incredibly affordable and there's a free version to boot. Once, the gracious support team even helped me add more members than my plan allowed.
ConsIn services, I wish the apps allowed you to edit more song details, such as adding new keys and changing song sequences. Other than that, there are no cons.

By Planning Center on May 24, 2019
Hi Chad! Thank you for your kind words and honest review! For the Song details, let us know what you'd like to see in the mobile app. We have plans for what we want to add, but your feedback would be valuable, for sure. Contact us through the helpdesk in the mobile or web apps and we can start the conversation, there! - Clay
May 13, 2019
Matt M.
musician / worship team assistant admin
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
April 6, 2019

“Planning Center is great for organizing church events, worship team, staff members, volunteers, ect.”

OverallIt makes scheduling team members for your church simple and easy. Honestly, I don't know how we could go without it at this point. It's such a time saver, and the best way to share songs and files with the team. There is a phone app that works really well too, with only a few minor limitations compared to the computer/browser version.
ProsI've been using Planning Center for many years with multiple worship teams, and it keeps evolving and getting better. I'm an admin with Planning Center for my current church, so I use it quite often. It stores a data base of team members that can be grouped into multiple categories (worship team, audio/lighting tech, sunday school/nursery volunteers, etc). I think PC really shines for scheduling worship services. It stores audio files, video links, and documents which can easily be linked to any new service so your team has the information (music, audio files, videos) they need to be prepared in advance. Your worship team (or for any other aspect of church functions) can be alerted when they are scheduled to serve, and they can accept or reject the invite to serve which will alert the admin so they can make sure that a person for each required position of a service or event has been filled. It can save tons of time for an administrator to put together a team and get them the resources they need. It even links to online calendars so when you accept a position for an event, it can automatically be added to your calendar (in my case Google). Overall, if your church isn't using this, you need to try it - it's a huge time saver!
ConsIt can be a little confusing sometimes, and there is way more to it than we use that I wish we could turn off until we need it, but honestly it's still probably the best options out there that we've found.
April 6, 2019
Brandon V.
Next Generation Pastor
Religious Institutions, Unspecified
October 3, 2017

“Planning Center is THE standard when it comes to Church Planning Software for good reason!”

OverallPlanning Center allows me to keep all of my teams and schedules organized with very little headaches along the way. I use Planning Center multiple times each week and use it to keep track of a large database of volunteers. Within seconds I can see what areas we are weak in volunteer wise and schedule accordingly. I have had very little issues with Planning Center, but anytime I need help, their customer service teams are phenomenal.
ProsPlanning Center allows me to keep all of my teams and schedules organized with very little headaches along the way. I use Planning Center multiple times each week and use it to keep track of a large database of volunteers. Within seconds I can see what areas we are weak in volunteer wise and schedule accordingly. I have had very little issues with Planning Center, but anytime I need help, their customer service teams are phenomenal.
ConsOn rare occasions there are features that are difficult to navigate. For example, I was recently changing someone's availability within their profile and the dropdown for possible service times wasn't showing the service times it should have. There was a menu I had missed that changed this dropdown to be correct. The Planning Center team fixed the issue for me quickly and taught me how to do it myself in the future so I am definitely not complaining, I would just say there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to navigating all of Planning Center's options.
October 3, 2017
Kati D.
Worship and Women's Pastor
April 15, 2019

“Planning Center has stream-lined our whole church volunteer base.”

OverallWe love Planning Center and it has revolutionized our church's organization.
ProsWe can literally keep all our church info under one umbrella. We schedule all of our volunteers for worship, coffee ministry, early childhood, sound, kid's wing... everything with Planning Center. We would be lost without Planning Center. We are able to see when our volunteers are scheduled in other departments. We use the kid's check-in app. We have even recently used the "Registrations" app for some of our sign-ups, it's a little pricey but pretty efficient. We run so much of our church with Planning Center.
ConsIt definitely sometimes has weird glitches where some volunteers will not receive emails sent to them all time, or worship team members getting unscheduled. We are not entirely sure if it's Planning Center's fault or some weird planning center fairy messing with us.

By Planning Center on April 16, 2019
Hi Kati! Thanks for sharing the love. We are are so happy it has helped you and your ministry. We did notice you mentioned some volunteers will not receive emails sent to them. If you notice this happening we'd recommend writing in to our support at support@planning.center and we'd be happy to look into any issues you are having. We want our software to help you and your ministry be the best it can be. So if you have any hiccups, don't hesitate to reach out. We look forward to hearing from you!
April 15, 2019
March 13, 2018

“Planning Center is very effective in scheduling volunteers for events, services, and volunteering”

OverallWe are able to let mass amounts of volunteers know what they'll be doing, when they'll be serving, and where they'll be serving over the weekend services we have. It's a great tool for churches who have volunteers willing to jump in and be a part of a team.
ProsI like that we can send our team members invites for weekend services and they can respond via the downloadable app. We continually use this software to see who will be showing up to services/events by who's accepted and who has declined the invites we send out. We enjoy using the service flow capability that allows us to communicate how the services will be run for each weekend. This not only allows us to communicate with those who volunteer on our teams, but they have great features like music stand to help communicate which songs will be played that need to be practiced. Every feature created is to the benefit of the participants and the administrators using it.
ConsI think the only thing I really don't like about this software is the time it takes to get used to where all the functionality is and what can be used for different situations. It's sometimes a challenge to get newer users on their feet when jumping into this program. Particularly in understanding the structure of how data is recorded within the program.
March 13, 2018
Micah O.
Groups Guy
February 12, 2018

“Great at discrete tasks... not yet ready for primetime as a whole-church DB replacement”

OverallPlanning Center is hard to review because it's not one product, it's actually six different products. That's both a strength and a weakness. Most people using Planning Center are used to its core functionality: Planning Center Services. This is the tool used for actually planning a worship service (complete with tech sheet, ProPresenter integration, etc) and scheduling people to be there. It also has a Check-In component, a Groups component, a Resources (room scheduling) component, and a Giving component. Supposedly, if you add them all together you get a viable whole-church database solution. It's hard to see that being the case, since a lot of the functionality you'd want to see for a whole-church database (especially around reporting, metrics, dashboards, etc) are missing. But the parts that are there mostly work well. It's impossible to overstate how far ahead Planning Center Services is from everything else in the field. Everyone I'm in contact uses Services for service planning. Their other modules, though, are all missing important features. Work is clearly being done to improve those components, but mostly it seems more like rearranging existing features than adding the ability to solve new problems. We'll keep using Planning Center Services, but have transitioned away from Planning Center Groups and anticipate moving away from Planning Center Resources. Luckily our new system integrates well with PCO, so we'll be able to keep our contact databases in sync. This is an underappreciated feature for PCO: a full API to develop and integrate against!
ProsGreat ease of use. Excellent for planning services and scheduling volunteers. Makes it easy for volunteers to respond to schedules without having to remember account details. Solid people management.
ConsEverything outside of the core (service planning & scheduling) functionality seems half-baked. Very difficult to pull reports, group scheduling & attendance don't work well.
February 12, 2018
DON T.
PASTOR
July 23, 2019

“COMPREHENSIVE AND EASY TO USE”

OverallOverall, we are very pleased. However, they could be more responsive to our concerns about customization.
ProsWe like the ability to choose the modules we need and that they are all integrated. As soon as you select a new module, data from the others is available at once. Each module is versatile and somewhat customizable.
ConsThe developers used language that does not fit with what we are used to. That is, some of their terminologies fit better in a secular business environment instead of a church. Most of these instances are not customizable. For example, the People module has no way to designate Head of Household or to distinguish dependent children from adult children. We found a number of instances where we had to reorient our thinking to fit their use of terms.

By Planning Center on July 24, 2019
Hey Don, Thanks for taking the time to write an honest review for our software. It sounds like you have written in a time or two and that those were turned into feature requests. Please know that each and every request is seen and reviewed by our teams that make our apps. Unfortunately there are so many great ideas that we can't implement them all, at least not quickly. A lack of movement on any feature request doesn't mean that we think it's a bad idea, it just means that it hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet. Thanks again for the review and if you have any other ideas be sure to send them our way!
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
March 19, 2019

“Fantastic church service management software”

OverallBeing able to access my sheet music on the fly with annotations I have written in is a huge game player for playing on a worship team. I used to have a huge physical folder of sheet music, and now I have everything in this app. This app eliminates the need for paper sheet music. I also like that if a team leader changes a key in a song, the new sheet music will be available (although I wish this gave you a notification that the key changed).
Pros+ I like that I can listen to the songs through the app (YouTube player) + I love being able to make annotations on a song, and then accessing those later (provided they are in the same key) + I like that I can block out my unavailability on a calendar
Cons- For Music Stand, Annotations on sheet music in previous keys are rarely available. This makes transposing very frustrating and time consuming - Cannot access annotations on songs in different keys from the PC online version (have to use the mobile version) - Custom zoom options are very difficult to manage (if you want to zoom in on Music Stand, it is finicky) - I should be able to access songs/annotations/sheet music from prior services I have played, but as of now I cannot - It would be really nice to have a transpose feature (A key is in A but the sheet music is in G - this technology is readily available on other websites, but Planning Center does not currently have this) - I should be able to share my annotations with other members - Should get notifications in app if the leader changes the key of a song

By Planning Center on March 25, 2019
Thanks for your review! Our support team is happy to help you with getting those annotations available. Transposing is also available and we can assist with that as well at support@planning.center Thank you!
March 19, 2019
Kevin M.
Worship Pastor
November 5, 2016

“Don't Do Church Music Without This Tool!”

OverallI've been a church music director for 13+ years. I've looked into a lot of online products over the years. Most of them looked like something that worked for someone, but I would have to change how I did things to make it work. Enter Planning Center. As soon as I started poking around, I starting thinking, "Who has been spying on me and conspiring to make my life easier..." Not only is this product incredibly well-made, their customer support is second-to-none. Planning Center makes service planning and volunteer scheduling a breeze. I also use it to handle all of my music stand & chord chart needs. They also have products available for Event Registration, Giving, Volunteer Check-In, Church Management and more! Their products are designed to serve the local church because that's how they started. They designed products that they themselves needed in their own churches. All of their stuff is web-based, so it's accessible anywhere from any device. Seriously, do yourself a favor and start using PCO.
ProsIt's incredibly easy to use, not only for me but my volunteers. It is designed to target the needs & issues I face in service planning and volunteer management in a local church. It integrates with a host of other products I use to help my teams prepare every Sunday.
ConsBecause it's web-based, Internet access is required for most functionality. That doesn't hinder me because I know it's a requirement, so I plan for it.
November 5, 2016
Deborah B.
Administrative Assistant
October 2, 2019

“BEST web-based software for worship planning”

OverallWe've been using Planning Center for about seven years. I don't think we've ever had an issue with the product. I've never had a need to contact customer service. It does what it is supposed to do, and it makes this aspect of my job as the administrative assistant of a worship department of a large church much easier.
ProsPlanning Center is extremely easy to use. I can very easily do everything I need to do. When I train new people on Planning Center, it is one of the easiest products to train someone on. It is very intuitive and easy to figure out what to do even if you don't know how to do something.
ConsMy only issue is sometimes the app is a bit finicky. For whatever reason there always seem to be a bunch of extra roles that need filling on the app only. I try and delete them, but I can't. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but still have issues

By Planning Center on October 4, 2019
Hey Deborah, Thanks for writing an honest review for us! I noticed that you mentioned having some issues with the mobile apps. You may have already done this, but if you haven't, would you mind sending in a support ticket to support@planning.center. If there is an issue with the app we want to make sure that we can get that fixed for you! Thanks!
October 2, 2019
October 31, 2018

“Planning Center: Excellent Church Database”

OverallAfter the learning curve, you will find that Planning Center helps meet your church needs and will significantly increase your productivity within the church!
ProsPlanning Center is the perfect business software for our church's needs. We have now implemented the Resources tab into our church and its excellent for reserving rooms/vans. We have one mass calendar that allows us to never overlap. Our ministry leaders love using the service portion to update our schedule and worship services. Members have the chance to approve or decline their volunteer positions which allows our leaders to know if our Sunday's are properly staffed. Sending emails through the database are extremely simple. We are also a very diverse church and I love the demographics and people status feature.
ConsIt was a significant learning curve to understand how to implement the software. I can't even say this is a true con though because with any encompassing software, it will take time to learn all the ins and outs. The only true con is that we are only allowed so many check-in's in one day until the price increases. Since we are a church, we only use check in on Wednesdays and Sundays which leaves 5 days for us to not check anyone in. Even though we are not touching the weekly check-in quota, we would still have to pay more for the two days that we do.

By Planning Center on November 5, 2018
Thanks for your review! Check-In's limit is a daily limit, and the unused check-ins don't roll over to the next day. So there's not a "weekly check-in quota." Planning Center Support
October 31, 2018
Elena H.
Financial Assistant
January 24, 2019

“Great Way to Organize Services”

OverallI really like the accessibility of this app! Simple to use and I can create my own profile. I can see who else I am serving with and what dates I still need to respond to. I can also print out documents on the specific services. Thanks for a great app!
Pros- Schedules are clear. - I can blockout dates and times - All schedules and materials for services are easily found within the app. - I can easily print items from the app. - Team members are visible and all statuses (confirmed, declined, etc.). - Personalized to my liking and functionality.
Cons- Cannot change my choice on confirmations or declining. - Not super smooth in blocking out dates or finding services. - Sometimes when I go into messages or a specific service date, I cannot easily go back to the main list of my WHOLE schedule. - Could get better at recommending to Administrators to fill everything out and keep it up to date for users.

By Planning Center on January 25, 2019
Hi Elena! Thanks for you kind words and honest criticism! If you'd like to walk through any of the issues or hurdles you are seeing in the app, make sure to email our support team, here: support@planning.center. Or through the helpdesk of the app. We take feature requests very seriously and we'd love to hear what you'd like to see change! Have a great day!
January 24, 2019
Ginger B.
Director Of Public Relations
December 12, 2018

“First year using and Learning curve”

OverallWe are able to keep everything in real time and schedules are all the same and able to be adjusted easily. Staff and volunteers can respond quickly to requests and resources are used better.
ProsI love that the functionality is well integrated with other aspects of the programs needed in our church. I love that we can schedule all departments and needs for the entire church. The ability to auto schedule is a huge plus. I love that there's a phone app so I'm able to see everything needed on the go or make changes.
ConsI do not like that there are not more specific perimeters for schedules. Such as choosing how often people serve in specific roles vs. how many times a month as an over all blanket. I also would have liked a more personal introduction and hands on help when learning the software. A call desk for immediate help would be wonderful. I wish there was better integrated systems for audio files included with membership. Finding the right song, key etc. is tedious and time consuming and really other less expensive programs offer this service so I feel that should be included. So when you add a song from CCLI the audio file should be included.

By Planning Center on December 13, 2018
Hi Ginger! We'd love to talk to you about some of your feedback. First, thank you for taking time to type this up - it's appreciated! Our scheduling app, Services, allows for quite specific serving preferences. We'd be happy to help you with this. Also, in regards to finding music, it sounds like some of our searching filters will help ease your searching woes a great deal. We can help with that too! Lastly, CCLI is a separate company from Planning Center. We have no control over the files they do or do not allow to be integrated. While we certainly think it would be great to be able to auto-import audio files, that's not something CCLI allows, so it's not something we can do. We can auto import audio files from PraiseCharts and RehearsalMix. Contacting our support staff will allow us to help you with all this and more!
December 12, 2018
Adam J.
Campus Support Team Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
October 7, 2019

“It's the standard for church software for a reason”

OverallWe are fully invested into the Planning Center software as an organization and we couldn't be happier with it.
ProsPlanning Center is incredible for churches to manage people, services, groups, registrations, giving, etc. We use the full suite of Planning Center software and love all of it. It's not always perfect, but their customer service is usually quick to respond and takes product feedback well.
ConsIt is a bit pricey, but it's worth the cost. Really that's the only downside.
October 7, 2019
July 17, 2019

“ I absolutely love planning center! ”

Pros I've been using planning center for a very long time, and it only gets better and better. Our use it to schedule worship services, worship team, and connections team. The most killer feature about planning center is it's fully featured and easy to use smart phone app. Anybody can use it and get the hang of it, and it is very intuitive. And when it comes to scheduling, I need something that is very easy for the end-user to use.
ConsAs much as I love the app, it can be a little buggy at times, and there are just a few things that I can't do on the app that I have to go to the mobile site for, once they add a few of those more master user features to the app, I will be very happy.

By Planning Center on July 23, 2019
Thanks so much for the feedback, we love to hear from our users and how the application works for them and also any ideas they may have on improvements. As for the bugginess and some of the feature you are hoping for in the mobile app. We'd be happy to look into this with you. Would you be up for emailing our support at support@planning.center? This way we can pass on your suggestion as a Feature Request and also look into the bugginess you are experiencing.
July 17, 2019
January 22, 2019

“Not sure why ANY church wouldn't be using Planning Center!”

OverallOur church staff team has felt the weight of me asking us to go all-in with the Planning Center platform. We currently use "services", "people", "groups", "check-ins", and "giving" every single week - often every single day. PCO has streamlined many of our previous workflows (or, to be honest - helped us CREATE workflows that didn't exist!). Having access on computers and mobile devices is SUCH a blessing. We couldn't be more pleased with our PCO experiences!
ProsMy favorite part of Planning Center is that it is ALWAYS evolving. From brand new big-ticket module roll-outs to smaller upgrades within the software - the always advancing nature of Planning Center is a huge plus for us. I also love the "umbrella" that Planning Center brought to our ministry situation. Bringing many weekly-use bits of software under one umbrella has helped in so many ways.
ConsThe only negative experience we've had with Planning Center centers around a drop in our Internet speeds on a Sunday morning while checking in children to our children's ministry. Without adequate internet access, we couldn't adequately accomplish what this software provides.
January 22, 2019
Religious Institutions, 501-1000 employees
March 12, 2019

“Planning Center is the Best Practice for church management tools!”

OverallWithout fail, no matter how many other options we research, Planning Center is the only software that truly enables our church to grow and it will scale with us! It's become a tool that allows our multi-site church to truly take care of our span of care well.
ProsI love Planning Center's customer support and how they've helped us to customize/better utilize Services and People for our volunteer teams.
ConsPlanning Center Services seems to change the user interface a little bit too frequently. They change the layout and navigation just enough and, when a change occurs, the walkthroughs tend to be insufficient because each team uses it in a somewhat different capacity. Also, we happen to have a very large database of individual records for our attendees and volunteers, so for users who download the Services app and accidentally open the "people" tab, the app tends to crash or freeze.

By Planning Center on March 13, 2019
We're happy to help you with that app-crashing issue! This should not be happening, regardless of how many people are in your database. Please contact our team at support@planning.center and we'll work with you to get this fixed.
March 12, 2019
Stephen F.
Religious Institutions, Self-employed
September 25, 2018

“Plan to get Planning Center ”

OverallOur experience has been overwhelmingly positive. As I said, it is an efficient timesaver. If you try on your own to do everything that this service offers, you'll add many unnecessary hours of work to your week.
Pros The software is really easy to use. It's a matter of creating an event, selecting the people that are going to participate in the event, and then creating an order/agenda for that event. Since I am a pastor of a church, we put our worship services in this program. So we are able to select the songs, upload them for the worship team to listen to and practice, and then every single participant that we selected will receive an email reminding them they are on the agenda, and it gives them the ability to accept or decline the request. I am able to upload my sermon notes and PowerPoint for the sound team to download in prep for the main service. The fact that we are able to coordinate an entire worship service in this one place allows for efficient planning, and it saves a lot of time.
ConsThe only con that I can think of is that when we first signed up, we had the cheapest package, and eventually we ran out of space. We had to then go back and start deleting previous worship services because of all the files that were previously uploaded. That was an inconvenience that led us to upgrading. Now we don't have to worry about that.
September 25, 2018
Evan T.
Consultant, IT Support (ICT Expert Providing Support, Catering to the Expat Community)
11-50 employees
July 8, 2018

“Powerful, well-thought out Church Management Software”

ProsChild Check-in is very intuitive and flexible, with the ability to check-in via computers, tablets, smartphones and customizable labels. You can have manned check-in stations, additional self-check-in kiosks, or roll-sheet style stations. Services is an amazing way to keep your volunteers organized, so you don't overschedule or overutilize some volunteers while leaving others without much to do. With great notifications, a "Matrix" view that gives schedules excellent at-a-glance views of their preparedness, and a place to save lesson plans, chord sheets, or other information to share with volunteers, this was a HUGE relief for our teams. People is free and has some great options for tracking and grouping attendees and for setting up workflows for reaching out. It had a bit of a learning curve coming from our last system.
ConsPeople has very limited ability to send e-mails without integrating with MailChimp, and that integration was not very intuitive. That said, MailChimp's safeguards to help ensure you're never marked as a spammer make it a really good idea to use it, anyway, for mass e-mails.
July 8, 2018
Jonathan M.
Pastor of Administration and Children
October 10, 2017

“Indispensable tool for managing church services and volunteers”

OverallCentralized volunteer scheduling Centralized song planning and rehearsing Service planning
ProsSchedule services and communicate with volunteers through one central location Great mobile app that is not an afterthought. Many of our volunteers only use the mobile app Song planning made easy - just add a song to a service and add people to a service and they have everything they need to rehearse and show up prepared The more ministries use it, the more powerful it becomes - managing schedule conflicts across teams gets easier when all of your teams use it. You can tell the people who write this software are also on church teams. They "get" it.
ConsIt is so robust and flexible, with so many options, getting started can be a little overwhelming. For even a mid-sized church like us, it is an investment. It costs about the same as our church management system, so it is not insignificant. However, I would say we get much more value out of the software than our church management system, so it is worth it.
October 10, 2017
March 27, 2019

“Great solution for small churches”

ProsI love the integration between apps. For small to medium-sized churches, this is a great solution that can grow with you! Being able to add on apps over time as you need them is wonderful.
ConsPlanning Center Giving leaves much to be desired in the area of reporting. Lists in People also have room for improvement. As these features stand right now, I do not feel that Planning Center will be able to support our growing church long-term. We need a system that can handle robust reporting within the platform. At our current size, it is not unreasonable for me to export data to Excel and work the data outside of the system, but this will not be efficient as we continue to grow.

By Planning Center on March 28, 2019
Hi! Thanks for your kind words and honest review! As far as your comments on reporting, our team would really like to hear what your needs are in People and Giving. If you'll submit your needs and feature requests through the helpdesk in any of our apps, our team will get back with you most of the time within an hour! We look forward to speaking with you!
March 27, 2019
Vicki F.
Program Administrator
Religious Institutions, Unspecified
January 13, 2016

“Keeps Our Church Teams Organized”

ProsAlthough our church uses Planning Center for a variety of things, I use it in our worship ministry, and it allows us to all "stay on the same page". Our church meets in the auditorium of a school, and as such, we only have the building on Sunday mornings. Because of this, our worship team cannot rehearse during the week. With Planning Center, I am able to "post" the music for several Sundays in advance and our team can use the attachments to listen to each song via an .mp4 file, and see chord charts. When Sunday arrives, everyone has been able to prepare on their own and we do a quick run-through. I can schedule team members and see who has responded and who has not. I can add notes to each service for the team members' info. My team members can block out certain dates when they know that they will not be with us. I like the fact that there are different user levels so that some people can actually edit and schedule, while others only have viewing permission. Planning Center also allows us to input each person's contact information, so everyone on the team has the ability to reach others if necessary.
ConsThe mobile app is not as responsive as I would like, but it works.
Recommendations to other buyersTake advantage of some of the free webinars that Planning Center offers. They are extremely informative, and teach you a lot of tips and tricks and how to best use the program for your particular situation.
January 13, 2016
Austin C.
Director Of Operations
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees
July 23, 2019

“Planning Center Helps Your Church Grow!”

OverallOverall, I LOVE using Planning Center! It helps me keep track of volunteers, materials, rooms, and groups with ease. When working with people in general, but especially with volunteers, communication and organization is KEY and Planning Center makes that all possible and EASY! We ahem seen tremendous growth first of all because of what God is doing in our church but also because of the technology we implement and Planning Center has been a driving force in that.
ProsI've used Planning center for about a year now though I've known of it for years. I don't know how other churches get by without it! It has so many different uses from checking in children, to organizing rooms and supplies for events, to keeping track of attendance for groups, and of course scheduling volunteers for services. It's very versatile and brings order to the chaos of being a volunteer based work space.
ConsIt does have some software bugs with their mobile apps. Often, I've scheduled people on the computer, but when I go to the app it will have other people "pending" under the wrong date and when I try to remove them, I get the "oops, something went wrong" message over and over again. It would also be nice if Planning Center Groups had their own separate phone application to make things more versatile for group leaders, that would be amazing!
Jason T.
September 28, 2017

“Planning Center has revolutionized the way we communicate with our volunteers and teams.”

OverallPlanning Center has allowed us to expand our ministry capacity through clear lines of communication with our volunteers. Truly an indispensable tool for ministry.
ProsPlanning Center has revolutionized the way we communicate with our volunteers and teams. From the most tech-savvy teenager to our oldest retired worship team member, this form of communication simply works for everyone. I love the way you can communicate via different ways. When we first began to transition to Planning Center, we were a traditional church stuck in the 1980's in many ways, especially in our communications. While it took about 3-6 months to get everyone on the worship team using it (probably a rotating team of 40), now we don't know what we would do without it. Since then, we have expanded with Planning Center's capability. From our Volunteer Greeters, to other teams (Ushers, Safety), it is a tool that serves everyone, and helps us expand our ministry efforts more efficiently.
ConsWhile Planning Center is the industry standard, in my opinion, I would love if they incorporated a capacity to either integrate with an e-mail marketing/communications company (i.e., Constant Contact or Mail Chimp) or offer that service themselves so I don't have to keep email lists in 2 different (sometimes 3) places.
September 28, 2017
Chris S.
September 19, 2019

“Amazing Platform”

ProsThe Planning Center team must be inside my brain. Everything that I have ever needed within my various roles over the years in the church, planning center was able to address. From service planning, to giving, event registration, facility use schedules to and best church database software. It is everything that you need.
ConsTime to time there are various glitches. Which is pretty common, but they are quick to address.
September 19, 2019
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
July 23, 2019

“The OG of Worship Planners”

OverallOverall, this is one of those vital services that you simply expect any serious worship team to be using if they want to be organized and help their team succeed. I wouldn't want to be without it as a member or admin.
ProsI've been a part of music teams that used this software dating back to it's initial release. It's evolved over the years to include a whole lot more features and still remains the definitive worship team management and planning software. This one tool made it INCREDIBLY easy to keep everyone on the same page and for me personally as someone who played on multiple teams simultaneously gave me the ultimate rehearsal tool that gathered all my commitments into one place with all the resources I needed to be prepared for the performance.
ConsAt times this software has not allowed the admins to see users and simply attach them into the team. Instead, it would send a separate invite and then you had to manually merge the account yourself. I believe that is resolved now but I am not sure. As a user, this was the largest pain point while playing with multiple teams.

By Planning Center on July 24, 2019
Hi! Thanks for your kind words and honest review! If you are still having any trouble at all adding profiles to Services or teams, specifically, contact our support team through the helpdesk in the app or via email, support@planning.center. We'd be happy to look into any issues you encounter. Have a wonderful day!
David E.
Associate Pastor of Worship
July 16, 2019

“Worship Planning and Much More”

OverallPlanning Center now links together all the people and programs in our church from volunteer scheduling, to check ins and even giving. It's nice to have everything all in one place.
ProsIt's very simple and intuitive to use, and makes planning and scheduling worship teams and services very simple and organized. In addition, the company is constantly working on improving their products and adding new services that add more and more value.
ConsIt's become very deep over the years and some of the more advanced features (that I watched them add) can be overwhelming to new users.

By Planning Center on July 23, 2019
Thanks so much for your honest feedback of the applications and we are glad it is a powerful tool for you and your Organization. If you have any suggestions on how to make the process of the new features less overwhelming we would love to hear them so we can continue to make the software the best that it can be. You can open a ticket with our support at support@planning.center this way we can record your Feature Request and pass on to the Team.
Religious Institutions, 1001-5000 employees
September 12, 2018

“Planning Center Review”

OverallI like planning center as a member of the worship team of my church. It allows me the capability to listen to the songs over and over again to learn them. I also like that I receive a notification when updates are added, though I believe the choir director does this manually. Overall, I give this application an A.
ProsI like that when there is an update to the church service, the choir then knows the order of the service, the songs that we will sing and the capability to learn songs with the audio of each part. I like that I can set my alto part in the song to repeat the recording so that I can listen to it over and over again to learn my part. I like that I can see who has accepted to attend and who hasn't. Some people however, don't accept or decline the request making it harder for the choir director to know how many and who will be in attendance.
ConsI don't like that previous services cannot be accessed once the date has passed. I would like to see an archive section to review previous songs. I wish that sermons could be captured by clicking on the title so that I could revisit past sermons. Some of the recordings aren't quality so it makes it hard to understand the lyrics to learn them correctly. I would also like to see the document viewer be better to view the song lyrics.
September 12, 2018
Austin H.
Worship Leader
March 20, 2018

“Our church loves using planning center. It keeps everything in one place.”

OverallI love using Planning Center. It's easy to create service plans, link with our slideshow program, schedule volunteers, and easily reference attached documents for songs and Scripture readings. We also use Planning Center Giving to easily provide an online giving option. It was so easy to set up.
ProsPlanning center helps keep our church organized. We can collaborate on plans, see everything in advance, and schedule volunteers. The large number of features such as tags or blockout dates make it easy to make sure we schedule people based on availability. We have also started using ProPresenter, so the link between these two programs is very helpful in creating slides. Everything is stored in Planning Center, and it easily imports in from our slideshow program. Planning Center giving has made it easy for online donations. Most people don't carry cash or checks around, so having that online donation option is helpful for them. Planning Center was easy to set up and use.
ConsI don't have many problems with Planning Center at all. Sometimes, the learning curve on advanced functions can be steep, and I may forget the exact steps to do something, but their help guides are there to guide me through. I'm still not sure how to automatically send emails as soon as I schedule someone, but that's a minor issue.
March 20, 2018
Justus W.

“Great for churches”

OverallOverall PC has helped us with communication, service setup, tracking guests, and registering for events.
ProsIt integrates almost everything our church needs in into one place. We have giving, serving planning, event registration, directory, etc all in one app/website.
ConsPlanning center is still somewhat limited in each of its different services. For example, in the giving app/service you can record all of the giving your church gets, which is awesome. But tracking non tax-deductible money is more difficult, and you still have to run another software program like quickbooks pro for expenses and the non tax deductible items. We are hopeful this will change over time as they keep developing.

By Planning Center on July 23, 2019
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. I went ahead and have passed on your suggestions as a Feature Request to our Giving Team. If you have any other suggestions you can email our support @support@planning.center and we'd be happy to pass on any feedback for you to our Team.
Josh C.
June 26, 2019

“Saved my mind of exploding”

OverallThis has become the epicenter for any information needed for a Sunday Service. No more email threads to sort through, google docs to share. It's awesome.
ProsThis takes the edge off of the Admin work I have to do weekly. The ease of scheduling people is my favorite.
Cons- The new designs, though beautiful, take up too much screen space - As an administrator, I don't like the automatic "Teams" filter applied when I try to view the People page. - I wish it could handle my CCLI reporting for me.

By Planning Center on June 28, 2019
Hey Josh, thanks for sharing the love for the apps and also some great suggestions. As for the "My Teams" filter, you can select the drop-down, and "unpin" that filter. By doing this you will no longer see that defaulted filter the next time you launch the People tab in Services. In regards to CCLI we can pass on as a Feature Request for you. In the meantime, we have some great reports/resources to help you with reporting. If you have any questions on how these features work, feel free to email us at support@planning.center
June 26, 2019
Tim V.
Musician
March 23, 2019

“Excellent organisational tool for a range of church users”

OverallWe use Planning Centre primarily for service planning, rotas, and music management. It is an invaluable tool that has revolutionised our organisation and delivery of multiple church services across three different sites. The balance between central control and personalisation is extremely helpful and promotes engagement. The music team users (for whom any digital planning software was new) vary widely in their digital competence but Planning Centre has made it possible to get everyone on board and has improved our delivery and team working hugely.
ProsPlanning Centre is an excellent tool for church organisation. It has a wide range of features that supports all the key aspects of church service/meeting planning: team management, music group and media management, rota scheduling, and many others. The permissions controls are helpfully graded to allow various levels of devolved access. Calendar integrations are helpful too. The layout and user interface is clean and clear and the design is consistent across the web version and mobile versions.
ConsThere used to be some limitations but technical developments over the past couple of years have really improved functionality and robustness. There isn't anything significant that can be faulted on this software from my use and requirements of it.
March 23, 2019