Amicus Attorney Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Amicus Attorney

Amicus Attorney, the worlds leading practice management solution, integrates all your firm information into a single automated system so you can improve your efficiency & profitability. Available as a desktop, cloud or combined desktop/cloud solution, Amicus software solutions give you client/matter management, legal calendaring & tasks, contacts & business development, document management, document automation, time & expense tracking, conflict checking and more! Learn more about Amicus Attorney

Glen T.
Managing Attorney
September 18, 2018

“Great Entry Level Solution”

OverallOverall, AA Online is a terrific product, great value, great customer support (which is rarely needed). As long as you know that it is a starter or limited to solo/small firm practices, it's hard to find a better product for the money.
ProsRight out of the gate, the client portal is the feature that sets apart AA from every, other legal case management software. There are only one or two other programs out there that offer this feature. If you have a practice that requires client updates or have clients who use email for case communications, the Portal can dramatically reduce that in box volume as well as provide needed security. It's also a great marketing tool. Very few firms offer this to their clients. Flexibility is number two. There are few, other programs out there that allow the user so much control over the data fields and how they want to use the program. If you are happy with the spreadsheet style software that costs a fortune to modify or customize, AA is not for you. You can do as much or little work on it as you like. Connected and all inclusive solution. AA syncs up well with MS office products like Outlook and Word and plays nicely overall. You can use the AA calendar and email if you like, but if you're used to Outlook, no problem. AA gives you everything you need to run your practice with the case management, billing, reporting, email, and document generation. For a modest amount you can add the accounting to it. Easy to use. I have tried other programs but haven't found anything that is as easy and intuitive. There are certainly more powerful programs out there and the Amicus Online edition we use definitely has its limitations when it comes to a web browser based system.
ConsIt's not meant for more than 3 or 4 attorneys. If you need something more robust go with the hosted environment where AA runs on their servers in a dedicated environment. AA Online is a great solo/small practice, starter software. WARNING: Bear in mind that much of what you set up in AA Online will NOT transfer over to Amicus Premium in the hosted environment. If you are thinking of ever switching over to the full version of AA rather than the web version, do not spend a lot of time/effort with templates and workflows as very little of that will carry over.
September 18, 2018
Jackie E.
Firm Administrator
February 6, 2018

“Much more clunky than we had hoped. Large learning curve. Making do for now.”

ProsTIME & MATTER MANAGEMENT: Timers and time entries are pretty simple. Knowing all people involved in a matter all in one place; engineers, judges, etc. is a great feature. Adding emails to a file is a good idea but time-consuming. Having all the data for a client in one place is good. BILLING: I like that the Billing and Attorney sides are separate. Billing and accepting payments works quite well. Amicus can do split billing which is important to us. The interface with Quickbooks is quirky but after 1.7 years of working with it we've figured out most of the issues and found workarounds. Reports can be downloaded to Excel which is vital to my managing the firm.
ConsCONS: The end-user learning curve is huge and not intuitive which has led to a lot of attorneys entering time and not using Amicus for anything else. Text onscreen is exceptionally small, and for most users, problematic. The interface is not intuitive and takes a lot of trial and error to find the best ways to find what you want or report on the issue. We were lead to believe that the document management interface would work for us, but upon trial found out it would not work with our setup. So we're still dealing with Microsoft Explorer for managing documents, which is problematic. Overall our approval level with Amicus is likely only around 50%. There are so many features that we liked in the concept that has been difficult to get attorneys to do because the interface is not user-friendly. TIME & MATTER MANAGEMENT: Data for our conflict database did not translate well from our previous system so conflicts checks take too long. Adding emails or files to the matter is very clunky. Ticklers are quirky and hard to work in Outlook. Tickler Reports are too limited events with no date range, or date range but no file selection. Running tickers for only one matter is impossible. Need more filters. BILLING: Reports downloaded to Excel are impossible to use due to all the merged fields and lack of use of tables. We have to download Reports to CSV and spend time figuring out what the column headers actually are. I use the selection tools to view onscreen matters or time entries by
February 6, 2018
Roger C.
Partner
February 2, 2018

“I have been using Amicus Attorney since 1996. I love/hate it. ”

ProsAmicus integrates your calendar, contacts, email, phone calls and matters and reminds you to create docket entries for all appointments, emails, calls, documents, etc. The beauty and economic benefit of the software is that it helps you to capture your time and to keep you organized. Over the years, Amicus has added things like Amicus mobile (which allows you to access features from your mobile device or any web browser) and a client portal (which allows you to permit clients to access certain information). I have always considered the most important element of the software to be the communications module. If you turn on email integration and make notes of all of your calls using the software, you can quickly review what has been happening in a case by turning to the communications module. You won't forget to docket your time for all those communications.
ConsWhile many other features have been added, the developers have not made material improvements to the communications module since email integration was added in about 2001. Obvious improvements have been needed since then. For instance, you cannot access scanned or faxed letters from the communications module. These can be added and viewed in the documents module and in a chronology module (added in about 2015), but neither option is not ideal. Flipping through communications should be as easy as flipping the pages of a paper file, but it's not. It is the organizational equivalent of having one file folder with your emails and phone calls, and another file folder with your faxes and letters. You have to flip from one folder to the other to view each. Also, you should be able to filter communications. For instance, you should be able to display only client communications, or only counsel communications, but you can't (even though there is a field for role on file for each contact attached to a file). The chronology module will put everything including all communications and documents (including letters and faxes) in chronological order, but you can't filter the chronology to show only communications (it will also show every document, docket, calendar appointment, etc.). I have looked at alternative practice management software several times over the years and haven't seen one that I am adequately attracted to want to make what would be a painful change.
Evan N.
Forensic Psychologist
May 28, 2017

“Used to be the best in field -- but now there are many competitive choices.”

ProsAmicus Attorney Premium is a reliable product. Once it's up and running correctly, there are few bugs. It is a highly flexible program chock full of more options than anyone could ever use. I prefer to avoid the cloud, too much risk of privacy issues, so even though an in-house server is old school, I prefer it this way. MS Exchange sync which gets calendars and contacts to the cell phone is excellent since 2015, best it's been since the old days of synching to the Palm Pilot. While I am listing a number of cons below, this software is the center point of our practice.
ConsSince this software was purchased by Abacus Corp in 2016, the price has gone up 75% -- what a sticker shock! IMHO, the tech support under the new owner is no better or worse. As for improvements to the product, the new owners seem to be focused only on selling their own add-on products --- the announcements tout how AA Premium now links to Abacus Product XYZ, but AA Premium has received any new features. They promised a cell phone app for remote access as part of the February update to AA 2017 and it still has not been released. They have added links to their add-on extra accounting and law products, but not updated any features of the core Amicus Attorney program. There is still no iPhone or Android app for remote access, one still has to use a browser on the cell phone to reach AmicusAnywhere. The process for writing SQL reports is complex! Also, the move from WordPerfect to Word (a necessary evil in today's world) meant losing the highly flexible document merge abilities of WordPerfect. I've been with AA since 2001; if Abacus doesn't produce new features, however, I will look to move my office to another product that seems more modern even at the risk of going to a web-based product when my two-year contract expires.
May 28, 2017
Raymond F.
August 9, 2016

“Amicus Attorney Review”

OverallI have a small 5 attorney firm. with a large support staff. At any given time, we handle about 1,000 active files. Our practice is very paper intensive. We've tried to go paperless, but it doesn't quite work with out type of practice, so we still do things the old fashioned way ... with file folders and legal pads. I've been an Amicus Attorney user for over 10 years. Prior to that, I tried and use several other "name brand" case management systems. Until about a year ago, we used the Amicus Small Firm program and it worked great. We switched to the Premier edition when we upgraded our server and all of our workstations. The premier edition was more adaptable to our practice. First of all, it was faster, second, we liked the better document management and third, for a rather small increase in cost, we got more bells and whistles. There are at least a half dozen firms in my area that are now using Amicus because of my recommendation. The links with other programs like Outlook are seamless. One calendar entry in Amicus updates Outlook and my laptop and my phone. I have not seen another case management program that has a document assembly system for letters, pleadings, emails, faxes anywhere as sophisticated as Amicus Attorney's. Also, check out their "Do" button and their "precedent" processes.
ProsTheir support is fantastic. Very little wait time. The support people are courteous, knowledgeable. and patient.
ConsIn many ways, the program is overwhelming for some of our staff. It takes a lot of time to train new staff members on the program. Also, there are many things that the program does that I haven't been able to use because it takes a lot of time to set up those things. This is probably more of a problem with smaller firms that don't have staff who just handle equipment use. In addition, we're WordPerfect users. I feel that the program works slightly better with MS Word.
Recommendations to other buyersNope. In my opinion, I think its the best "off the shelf" case management program on the market.
August 9, 2016
David L.
July 26, 2016

“Amicus - Intuitive without Obtrusiveness!”

OverallThe practice of law at any level is a business. As such the bottom line must always be considered. Amicus has saved money for the firm and has also made money for my practice. It has saved money by being so efficient that I have reduced staff. I no longer need a file clerk or an assistant to take time to organize my time, calendar, and tasks. Amicus does all those things automatically. Amicus has made money for the firm by automatically and efficiently creating time records and bills.
ProsAmicus has allowed my firm to be at the forefront of our industry by enabling us to be completely paperless and meet the Federal and State efiling requirements. The automated document control features saves time by allowing us to skip the scan, save, move, paste, and name, routine of saving documents to locations where they can be found. Amicus does all those steps automatically, and in addition, has the capability of allowing you to preview documents in the Amicus file without even having to open them! The customization features allow you to make Amicus look and do the way you want tasks done. You do not have to conform to it, Amicus will conform to you. The creation of timeslips and billing will shock you in its ability to capture all your time. Reviewing and editing time entries is fast and easy. The publishing them to a bill is seamless and fast. The ability to preview and edit bills is efficient as well. And of course, you can customize your billing templates to make your bills look the way you want. The Client Portal is another firm saving feature. It allows you to give access to Clients to view documents, events, messages, that you select. I view it as a malpractice insurance feature! All communication is open to the Client. They can view their documents, their appointments, and can message you. It totally eliminates the complaint that, "I can't reach my lawyer." Everything is there for them to see. And again, only what you allow.
ConsAmicus is a really great product. Little issues such as the Client Portal is a little finicky can be improved. It is a new feature and needs to allow Clients the ability to reset their password and to log on easier.
Recommendations to other buyersAs with all software, what you put in is what you get out. Carefull and consistent use will reap exponential rewards.
July 26, 2016
Heather W.
January 15, 2019

“Great Client Management Software”

OverallEven despite the update issues, I think this is a great program and is extremely helpful in managing client files.
ProsThe best feature of this program is that it links all information to the client file. You click on the client's file and you can look up all timesheets, communications, appointments, events, tasks, deadlines, etc. This is an invaluable tool in the legal field!
ConsThe main complaint I have about this software is that it requires periodic updates which is fine in and of itself, but it is a huge process to update. Customer service gave me an instruction sheet on how to update the software and stated they do not help with the update. When I reviewed the instructions, they were only something an IT person could do. We are a small firm and I'm the one who does the computer work. I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but the upgrades are extremely technical and definitely require IT. They did eventually do the updates for us after we called and complained and asked how they thought regular office people (not IT) could get through the instructions. This was my biggest issue with them.

By AbacusNext on January 21, 2019
Dear Heather, Thank you so much for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. Here are AbacusNext, providing quality products is very important to us, so we're very glad to hear we're delivering on that promise. Would it be okay with you if we post your review on our website? Feel free to reach out if you're interested in being part of a case study. All the best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882
January 15, 2019
Terence J.
Consultant, Facilitator
February 2, 2018

“Amicus Attorney is my favorite software. Period. I have used it for many years, and it's fun.”

ProsI actually look forward to pulling up the program (it reminds me of the best secretary/paralegal I have ever had). Everything is at hand, and connected to anything I need to do, whatever task is immediately at hand. It is flexible enough to accommodate interruptions in work, and powerful enough to take on every task I need to perform. When I was practicing full-time, my overhead was 30% while generally in the profession 40% to 60% was considered normal. My billing hours went up dramatically, and my family time increased commensurately. The tech support has alway been terrific. I had been practicing for several years before the personal computer was introduced, and I am not a computer wiz. When I needed tech support they were always on time and always fast and effective in sorting whatever I needed. The online tutorials are also terrific - clear and easy to follow; allowed me to use advanced features initially beyond my ability. This is a great program backed by a solid company with real integrity. I is always a pleasure to do business with them.
ConsPaying for it, of course. Worth the money, though in increased billing hours and increased time with my family. Several years ago there was an separate accounting add-on, which I used and did not like at all. I am not sophisticated in accounting principles or software. Tech support was good, but I ended up doing it the old fashioned way (hired someone).
Greg B.
January 30, 2018

“Amicus is generally an ok product, but is lacking in several respects. ”

ProsIt allows the members of my office to act as wild ducks flying more or less in formation, i.e. it provides a common path for all of us to stay organized and communicate regarding information in our system.
ConsI would switch to CLIO if I did not have so much data that would need to be replicated. (History creates inertia.)CLIO has so many good features and provides such good training I don't like Microsoft exchange and several features require Microsoft exchange. I don't like it that the process of exiting the software changed in the last upgrade - I have been using the software for 20+ years and suddenly the way of minimizing the program has become the way of closing the program -,my muscle memory tells me to do it one way and some bright techie has decided that what I have been taught through year of use is no longer correct. I don't like it that there is no free training module for users we bring onto the team. Booking a private training is too pricey. Tech support is spotty. Sometimes you get a poor techie who cannot help with the problem- in such cases we call in again and hope we get a good techie (we frequently get someone on the 2nd or 3rd call who can solve our problem. Upgrades are buggy and it takes several patches to get things right. Abacus has an immigration module that is not available for Amicus. I get way too many sales calls and e-mails for Abacus Cloud. I am not paying the company to be a marketing prospect.
Jeremy K.
January 30, 2019

“An Aging Software”

OverallOverall, Amicus is a solid case management software, but given their choice to switch to a model that does not truly have their customer's best interests in mind, it was simply not a software we could continue to use or support.
ProsI have used this software for over two years at the law firm I work for. Ultimately, the software does everything we need it to do and them some: track case development, client information, time spent, etc. The software served its purpose well and has kept our firm organized and up to speed with all our cases.
ConsWhile we have a large database of clients and still depend upon Amicus day-to-day for our older cases, we ultimately made the switch for other case management software a year ago, for one sole reason. Price. While Abacus decided to go the route of so many other similar products and only offer a subscription-based model, this was not something that ultimately suited our needs, and we had to cut ties.

By AbacusNext on February 5, 2019
Dear Jeremy, Thank you so much for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. We're so glad the software meets your needs. While we're sad to hear your firm switched to another case management system, we want you to know we're committed to providing our clients with exceptional value. Please feel free to reach out with any additional comments. Warmly, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882
January 30, 2019
Catherine B.
July 12, 2017

“I used Amicus Cloud for several years. It is intuitive, easy to use, but limited.”

OverallIt kept track of emails for me for years. That is a monumental task, and I found the product very useful for this purpose. It creates invoices pretty easily.
ProsIt is intuitive and easy to use. The interface is logical and pertinent to lawyers and law practice. No special training or programming is necessary to use the system. Because it links to Outlook, all emails, contacts, etc. are instantly synchronized with Outlook and smart phones.
ConsThe word that best describes this software is SLOW. It operates by linking to Outlook, and you will frequently sit there watching the hourglass swirl waiting for the task to complete. Because the software is not a stand-alone product, it is limited in what it can do. It does not really integrate documents , and the only way to manage or track work flow is via Outlook tasks. It keeps track of emails only so long as the email address is active with Microsoft Exchange - if you ever deactivate an email address, you lose access to all emails associated with that address. Abacus Law bought Amicus, and it seems that Abacus has little or no interest in maintaining much less improving this product.
July 12, 2017
Paul M.
October 15, 2018

“Good Program, I think.”

OverallOverall we are satisfied with Amicus Attorney. It delivers what we expect. We use it to manage the calendar, maintain contact information for client files, make notes to client files, and for billing. We are satisfied with the product. I believe the product actually offers more than what we use it for, I would appreciate a better understanding of how to use the product. It would be great if Amicus reached out more to educate me as a user.
ProsI appreciate that the calendaring, client management, and billing are on the same platform. There is good accessibility to functions such as inputting time and accessing bills from the same windows as the viewing of matters.
ConsThe software is probably much more functional than what we use it for. Our office has not been able to complete any training or improve the way we use the software because of time constraints. I wish there were short tips provided on an ongoing basis. Something like an email that was sent out with a time saving tip. Just 1 quick tip for improving how we use the software. For example, an email that explained, Did you know that you can edit time entries after the entry has been posted? Followed by how to edit time entries. I would like to have better understanding of how to efficiently and effectively use the software, if possible, learning the software in short ongoing tips would make it convenient.
October 15, 2018
David T.
Barrister
July 28, 2016

“Critical software for my law practice”

OverallIn 1996 I introduced Amicus Attorney software to my small law firm, and I still use it today as a sole practitioner. I consider Amicus to be "mission critical" software for my practice, allowing me to keep my files and clients and contacts organized with the seamless link to Microsoft Exchange and Outlook, my time under control and properly recorded and synced to my PCLaw accounting software, and my documents at my finger tips with the Amicus link to Dropbox. Amicus Attorney allows me, as a solo practitioner to stay on top of practice and to compete on a business level with lawyers having much more extensive back office support personnel.
ProsThe best thing about Amicus Attorney is that everything about my practice is in one place: my contacts, my files, my calendar, my time, my emails and my documents - and I can access it all in my office, in my car, or half way around the world, as I did last March while in Australia (and the customer support is awesome!)
ConsFrankly, there is nothing I am unhappy about with Amicus.
Recommendations to other buyersMy advice is to try Amicus Attorney, and give it an honest effort - if you do, you will come to rely on it the way I do.
July 28, 2016
Anthony D.
March 20, 2018

“Good software that could be great”

OverallPaperless offices require careful organization and this program provides a good platform. It is a little pricey, but their customer support is great.
ProsThe interface is well designed, it does a good job of maintaining data integrity. I feel that it does allow me to keep fairly organized, and it is helpful as far answering the phone and being able to get right on top of things, it is great. The sync with Outlook works most of the time, and it does a nice job with duplicates. The time keeping seems to catch almost everything, but needs improvement.
ConsThere are two possible setups, I think I chose the wrong one for my situation. If you have a "split" setup then unless you are on your network, you cannot do a lot of necessary things --such as generate documents, The handy tool that pulls up all your documents that you will need at trial, you guessed it. Finally, there are things that should be easier to do, such as copy complete tables of data.
March 20, 2018
Brad S.
January 30, 2018

“Not happy with support- there is none!”

ProsWorks well for what I need it to do. I can keep track of time and clients, it sends out reminders and helps me stay on top of what I am doing. Even though the program works, I am not happy with the service.
ConsCompany sold me on the 2016 small firm update, then cancelled the software a few months later and went to a cloud format only. I don't need that format and the company has stopped supporting the 2016 version. I have a problem I can't fix and they won't back up their product. They knew they were going to the cloud only, yet still sold me on an update I would not have support for. Now I am stuck with a program that I need assistance on, and no one will help. I feel abandoned by them. I bought the program because they worked with Apple, then they stopped doing that and forced me to buy a Parallels program just to keep using Amicus. If I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase Amicus. The support is terrible.
Dorothy R.
July 27, 2016

“GREAT PRODUCT - REAL TIMESAVER!”

OverallWe first purchased Amicus Attorney in 2007. Installed on our network server and five workstations. Entered all of our client data, easily uploaded our documents, and it has been a breeze to work with since. Wouldn't trade this program for the world!
ProsCalendaring events is easy, which negates the risk of failure to timely file lawsuits, responses to motions and requests for admission, etc. We sleep much better knowing our risk in these areas is so low.
ConsHad a bit of difficulty getting used to emailing from Amicus rather than Outlook as we had in the past, but it was a low learning curve. Entering time through Amicus also took a bit of getting used to, but once we got used to the process it has gone smoothly.
Recommendations to other buyersWe would encourage anyone to try Amicus Attorney. It is a powerful package that truly streamlines our practice and puts everyone on the same page. Easy for one paralegal to "cover" for another that may be out as client information and status is easily shared, giving them the ability to quickly get "up to speed" on a case they have not handled before.
Raymond S.
Owner/Sole proprietor
January 30, 2018

“It's heavy duty integration of client information, calendaring, email retention. ”

OverallI was able to keep my data from my old version of Amicus, but the new one is much more horsepower than I need for a solo practice.
ProsHas the capacity to store and sort a ton of information. I like the calendaring, file integration, and ability to keep track of contacts. The ability to save emails to a particular file instead of trying to retrieve them from Outlook is very helpful.
ConsIt crashes too often. It was a bear to set up for a one-attorney shop. It's inconsistent in its own protocols. For example, it says we're supposed to assign one Client ID per client and use that ID for each file, but half the time, it says we can't use the client ID because it's already in use. It doesn't recognize client's email addresses on receipt, and when I go to link an email to a contact already on the list, it gives me a message saying that there are duplicate entries for the email. The same message says to use some sort of command to clean up duplicates, but for the life of me, I can't find where the function exists. The lack of any paper manual is very frustrating.
Meredith R.

“Efficient and effective”

OverallEasy billing, easy task and event addition with precedents, streamlining processes, effective & efficient if used correctly. The best feature is it allows me to have everything remain on my desktop and not in the cloud as I have a small practice that needs all the info protection it can get and not putting it on the net limits the opportunities for hacking. To me, it also allows more control over info flow to clients.
ProsI am able to use precedents to ensure no missed billing opportunities from events or tasks associated therewith. The forms and "Do" buttons make it even easier to maximize return on effort.
ConsCrashes more than I'd like. There are constantly phantom tasks that repeat with a category of "meeting" for the newly created duplicate tasks. I cannot seem to keep all tasks in Amicus synched with my tasks in Outlook when they should be complete duplicates of each other. It's frustrating, but suspect it has to do with the duplicate tasks.
Richard M. W.
Principal Solicitor
September 14, 2018

“Amicus Critique”

OverallI have used various versions of Amicus continuously since 1999. When it works it is very good. The program kind of reminds me of the General Motors cars that my parents used to buy. Every car had it issues. GM always promised that next year's care would be trouble free and better than ever. But it never happened. I keep Amicus because there is to my knowledge nothing better in marketplace and because the cost of replacement is probably not justified. However the Amicus program that I use is still very flawed.
ProsI like it because it organizes me. It is easy to use (when it works) and very logical.
ConsI am unhappy with the many flaws and quirks of the system. If you buy it you will have to become best friends with a really smart computer geek who will be able to sort out the many idiosyncrasies of the system. It crashes routinely. I am happy that I pay my computer technician a fixed monthly fee because otherwise I would be in financial trouble.
September 14, 2018
steven w.

“Amicus Review”

OverallI like amicus however I don't use a lot of its features. I have been a user for 20 years and still need dropbox as I could never figure out where or how to store documents within the Amicus files. I like the ability to track court dates and the notes that occurred in court.
ProsThe ability to put in the notes that allow me to recall the details of a case years later.
ConsIt isn't apple compatible without the Cloud. I tried to transfer to the cloud years ago and I had too many files and your staff was unable to complete the transfer. Gavel and Gown upgraded me to the server edition and I have been using it with a parallel program that is very slow. Also sometimes Amicus becomes disconnected from the server. Now Amicus wants to charge me a 300% increase to upgrade to the personal server. The cost is prohibitive for a small firm like mine.
Andrew C.
Law Clerk, Amicus Administrator
July 29, 2016

“Reliable service for years through upgrades and changes in our practice”

OverallOur firm has used Amicus since its early days and it has been a valuable addition to our practice, saving lawyers' time by making it easy to keep track of contacts, time, billing information, and for document generation. From an administrator perspective, it is easy to maintain and upgrade with good developer support and admin tools.
ProsThe core functionalities of Amicus are so ingrained in our firm's work process and so easy to use that most users take it for granted. Features added in recent years, such as Amicus Anywhere, give us confidence that Amicus is changing in the same direction as our firm while maintaining the core functionalities that we rely on.
ConsOur worst problems with Amicus have always been caused by integration with third-party programs such as PCLaw and especially Outlook/Exchange. Integration is a huge part of what makes Amicus useful, however.
July 29, 2016
Cymry R.
Legal Admin
January 31, 2018

“I enjoy the function and possibilities. However, the customer service leaves something to be desired”

OverallCalendar, file maintenance. easy access to electronic file. easy note-taking and tracking.
ProsWe use this software everyday and relay on it predominately for scheduling and file upkeep. We love the ability to log phone calls, share notes and the ability to quickly access important data about the case. I personally also love all the functions and options we have within the software.
ConsCustomer service always makes us feel like we're bothering them, frequently ignores our input or opinions. I often feel like they're talking down to me - even if I show them that something unusual is happening, they act like I'm over reacting and I should just deal with it. Its very frustrating and makes me feel like I should change services to a company that wants to have my patronage
January 31, 2018
Linda T.
Legal Assistant/Paralegal
September 20, 2018

“I used to love Amicus”

OverallThe system bogs down, freezes and is horribly slow. Customer support seems non-existent these days (and I was a user of the programme from back in the '90s, and it seemed to work great then and we had more users at that firm).
ProsThe calendar and linking of ALL information for each file, including contacts and bring forward dates that automatically calculate out from a date certain, etc., is so incredibly beneficial in our world of litigation.
ConsOver the years support for the programme has eroded. Customer service is terrible. The programme has changed a great deal and is now VERY slow in its operation, often freezing. It has become cumbersome to use yet it is still the most comprehensive programme out there, to our knowledge, for managing complex (and not so complex), litigation matters.
September 20, 2018
Ann B.
July 25, 2018

“Customer service is great. Response to issues are handled quickly.”

OverallI am able to print labels, conflict check, do calendars, etc. in a much more time saving and efficient manner.
ProsThe database features for entering client data (i.e. name, matters, conflict check) in criminal cases and ability to run the reports we need, as well as the calendar. Also, love being able to print labels from the database.
ConsToo many features that our firm will never use. We are a small firm and don't need linked forms, exhibits, etc. Maybe Abacus should offer the product with the ability to customize the product with items the firm will actually use. I know of several law firms in the area, including my previous employer that stopped using abacus because of all the new add ons and changes. Everyone really loved the older version.
July 25, 2018
Gregory S.
Partner
February 7, 2018

“Tech support is slow and usually never calls back”

ProsI like the overall software. However, for the cost, the accounting side is lacking, and the tech support is horrible. For the price of this software, I expect more.
ConsThe cost and the tech support. If you are going to double the cost of the software, you should at least have good tech support. The last couple of times I have called in I was told my issue needed advanced technical support. I have still not had a call back, even though I was promised a call back in 24 hours. I have had to hire an outside consultant at my expense to fix this problem. I have difficulty justifying paying a monthly subscription fee for this horrible support. I would love an answer to this, but when I ask on tech support calls they have no response.
February 7, 2018
Michael E.
July 29, 2019

“Amicus Attorney Software”

ProsThe ability to integrate your emails, calendar, reminders, and case load all in one is what sets amicus apart. Whenever I have had a problem the support team has acted promptly and efficiently. Very courteously as well.
ConsMany of the features take to much time to set up. As a small firm, we do not have a separate IT department and simply cannot deploy amicus to its full potential. Also, I have seen staff become overwhelmed with the software. Training can be tedious.

By AbacusNext on August 1, 2019
Dear Michael, Thank you for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. We're glad to hear you're enjoying the integrations! It's also good to hear our support team acted quickly and professionally to resolve the issue. Please feel free to reach out to our team so we can help you make the most of your investment. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come. Warmly, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882
July 29, 2019
Paulette R.
December 11, 2018

“Software Review”

OverallWe are able to exchange all information for a client between PCLaw and Amicus. Cuts down on the double re-entries. I can attach files to the contact for quick reference. Clients are able to have their copies of pleadings and correspondence, cuts down on mailing expense.
ProsThe calendar. Ease of creating an event and tagging files to the event.
ConsWhen setting a new appointment I can not go to new contact and fill in that information and tag it to the Soderstrom New Client File and then when the new client hires us and I open a new file in PCLaw and do the exchange, Amicus creates a new contact and now I have two contacts for the same person. It would be nice if there was some way to merge the contacts into one and then I would only have to enter the information once.
December 11, 2018
Carly H.
IT Administrator/Paralegal
August 1, 2018

“I had a wonderful experience with one of the technical support representatives!”

ProsFollowing is my email to a technical support representative after another wonderful experience: I am still out of the office, but have been testing Amicus on that workstation with great success the past two days. I'm a bit baffled by the whole thing. I will share the only change to the machine since we last spoke I uninstalled the OEM Microsoft Office 365 Click-to-Run software that came installed w/the Dell PC. I had installed Office 2016 when it arrived, and configured to our MS account, appropriately. However, in my attempt to clean up any unnecessary applications, I removed that small component and voila!!! Thank you so very much for your diligence and professionalism! My experience in working with you has been superb!"
ConsAlthough we have experienced some issues, the technical support team always assists in a timely manner.
August 1, 2018
Serin N.
Managing Member
January 30, 2018

“Overall, Amicus does what I need it to at a price point that is reasonable for my solo practice. ”

ProsI like the overall management capabilities and ability to keep track of time and bill. Although I have not used it yet, I like the client portal idea and ability to accept payments.
ConsThe email system is inconsistent. Sometimes, cutting and pasting into a message will disrupt the formatting of the email and often times, different fonts are used in the final message even though the message you are writing - those inconsistencies do not show up. Oftentimes, the server is slow and cannot send the message or loses the message and you have to start all over - this is the worst. I often have to reload Amicus because it gets "stuck" on a page and cannot move forward. I wish the phone app was more functional.
Amy T.
bookkeeper
January 30, 2018

“I don't use it as much as the paralegals in our office. I am the bookkeeper, so my usage is limited”

Overallfiles database
Proslinks to calendar and people easily, Sorts alphabetically and by matter number so you can easily find a file. I am the one along with another co-worker, who opens the original file. I like that it doesn't take long to set up a new file. I like how you can see many options, such as time spent, rate, AR, Trust, people associated etc.
Consnot easy to fix mistakes, even as an administrator. Can't close some files and don't know why because it says user name and ID are already taken. Support isn't great. When we have tried to get an answer, can't get anyone on the line right away, no follow up except email, which is exactly the same as I looked up in help topics and didn't work
Jonathan W.
July 27, 2016

“Using Amicus for 17 years”

OverallI selected Amicus Attorney as my practice management software the day I opened my solo practice almost 17 years ago., and have never been disappointed. I had researched competing software, and realized that the Amicus interface was far superior. Although I occasionally look at alternatives, my initial assessment remains the same, and I would choose Amicus Attorney if starting anew.
ProsEase of use for daily functions; time-keeping and seamless integration with PCLaw; calendar and to do features.
Cons1) that a full featured cloud version is not yet available; and 2) that it does integrate fully with Worldox as a document manager, rather than the rather unhelpful document links within Amicus.
Recommendations to other buyersCommit from the beginning to using contacts and the telephone link so that you do not have to catch up later when you realize how useful it is.
Laurie C.
Paralegal/IT/Full-Charge Bookkeeper
July 24, 2018

“For our purposes, this software does everything that most the firm members expect of it.”

ProsThe calendaring feature works as expected, and all members associated with that event are able to see the event on their calendar and make any changes or updates to it, as necessary. The telephone feature works, even if you don't have your phone system connected to your computer, as it allows you to make notes and keep track of your billable time. The time entry assistant is really nice, as it allows you to identify items in your day that you may have overlooked for billing purposes.
ConsDoes not integrate as seamlessly with WordPerfect as I had hoped, an does not lend itself to some email providers other than outlook.
July 24, 2018
Thomas K.
Attorney - Sole Proprietor
February 2, 2018

“Thousands of contacts and thousands of files and all within reach”

ProsI've used the program for 15 - 20 years. Changes have sometimes been challenging but all has been for the better. Support has always been quality and faster access is making it even better.
ConsThere are always a few things that could be better on this program as on any other. I've just been working with the library and found that to be cumbersome. I'm not sure I understand the document saving - I save my Word documents and use File Explorer to manage the libraries I've set up there. I don't understand how coordinating these with or putting these into the Amicus Library is beneficial. It looks like putting them into Amicus doubles up my save process.
Adrian T.
October 9, 2018

“Best legal software on the market.”

OverallWe are pleased to have the software. It simplifies our schedules and provides all the client information that allows the office to streamline our work.
ProsThe software is very easy to learn and use. It helps arrange all of our cases in an organized manner. Calendar features provide our office with a day to day schedule. The software allows the office staff to leave case notes and memos without the use of extra paper.
ConsThe required updates. It has been difficult trying to updated abacus changes through our server. Once the changes have been made, it appears that software enables our staff to keep track of client files efficiently.
October 9, 2018
Lorie W.
September 17, 2018

“Amicus Attorney from the eyes of the unsophisticated”

OverallMy biggest daily problem is that it is too easy to turn off the platform. When I click the red x to close the window I am in, the entire program closes, throwing the other users offline. Then they have to shut down Amicus and I have to restart it from my station and they have to restart on theirs. A simple pop up that says "are you sure you want to close?" would be great. I also would LOVE to have an Amicus app, so that when I am in court I can check my calendar instantly. I have to ask for a recess so that I can call my office and see if I am available instead of knowing by the click of my phone.
ProsThe calendar and the conflicts check. The calendar is the easiest calendar I have used.
ConsThat there is no app for my mobile phone.
Rick R.
February 5, 2018

“I've been using Amicus since Small Firm Edition, back in 2008 when I launched my practice. ”

OverallTime Savings Consistency Ubiquity Organization Institutional Memory
ProsAmicus makes it easy to keep all my information in one place, and to make that information accessible remotely through the portal, and through synchronization with my smart devices.
ConsI was disappointed when the court rule support was dropped out a couple years ago, but I look forward to its return (in my state) in the near future. The court rules were, when I selected Amicus from a then-smaller pool of CMS candidates, the most distinguishing and beneficial feature to me, as I have a poor sense of time, and it relieved me of much worry about deadlines and due dates.
February 5, 2018
February 2, 2018

“doesn't always think like I do (like a person thinks); can get really slow sometimes; complicated”

Overallability to track what we do and calendar hearings ability to generate a bill that I can modify for the client
ProsThe software is highly organized. I know where all my main functions/features are and they're fairly easy to use and understand.
ConsWe don't use most of the higher functions of Amicus because they are so difficult to learn to work with and it costs a small fortune for training, not to mention the time it takes. We don't use documents or communications for this reason. Billing can be a pain if I want to break something down a different way. Reports are not easy to generate and don't seem to have the functionality I would like.
Floyd W.
Admin
January 30, 2018

“Best program we have used since 2002”

OverallTime tracking, Conflict Checks, interface with QuickBooks
Prosthe Amicus anywhere and the ease of use for first time employees. The Amicus anywhere is not quite phone/table mobile but i expect it will become available
ConsWe do not, rather hate, the forced use of Client ID and Matter ID numbers. We have returning clients with different issues and the Client ID / Matter ID get linked together and the only common issue is the Client name. We do not use Client ID or Matter ID #'s. we wish there is a way to opt out of use or make the ID line as information only. this would be selected as a check box in Setup of a file for a client?
Anthony N.
Memberm
March 1, 2019

“Inflexible”

OverallBe sure you thoroughly evaluate it and test it before you buy it. Check every detail twice. What I received is not what was promised, and they make no compromise after the fact.
ProsStaff loves the back office billing. Timer is pretty easy to use and post time with, though it does require more clicks than it should.
ConsVery inflexible. Little things, such as expanding windows, changing font size etc are not allowed. System won't allow you to save a clients file to a drive or disk. Emails are only stored on a cloud system, not your internal servers so you can't back up emails or save to a drive. Once Abacus bought out Amicus the attitude has become take it or leave it and they no longer work with the client to provide any customization.
March 1, 2019
Laurie C.
August 1, 2016

“Amicus Premium 2016 update”

OverallLove the software. Having the client contact information, the team's calendars, file events, ToDo's, and the individual team members timesheets at my fingertips is invaluable when working the the clients' files.
ProsFor me, the most used feature is, of course, the calendar, followed very closely by the phone message/communications feature.
ConsIt would be easier if the reports feature, used to print timesheets and phone messages, printed in a better format. Currently, the format used is one that has to be then modified and/or edited for easier readability before printing.
Recommendations to other buyersMy advice would be to integrate a standard WordPerfect and/or Word format for the reports feature.
August 1, 2016
Ranj S.
October 18, 2018

“Upgrade”

OverallI have just had to tweak the program to my preference. I was able to do this very easily with the assistance of technical support. The technical support team has been very helpful.
ProsThe transition from the old Amicus program to Amicus Platinum was very easy and non-stressful.
ConsSome features are a challenge. For example the size of the font for emails needs to be automatically saved to the users preference. You cannot change the time for email synchronization. You cannot cut and paste into an email prior to integration
October 18, 2018
Clint C. B.
September 13, 2018

“Amicus Small Firm was Great...until Abacus bought them”

OverallAbacus must be in real financial trouble because now they are employing callers who threaten old Amicus customers with risk of data loss or hacking if you continue to use the old Amicus Small Firm Edition. Thank goodness the old program still works great. These callers are really obnoxious and unprofessional. I will never buy anything from Abacus software. I really miss the Canadians with the old Amicus company.
ProsThe old Amicus Small Firm edition was THE BEST database system for small law firms until Abacus bought the Canadian company that created Amicus. The old program was easy to learn and use. All of your data remained your data on your computer. No cloud requirement. It interfaced with e-mail and Time Slips. The pricing was good... everything was really great for the small firm law office. Customer support was the best; nice Canadians answered all of your questions. I really, really miss the Canadian company.
ConsWhen Abacus bought the company they eliminated the Small Firm Edition. They tried to force everyone onto their platform. They went to monthly billing for maintenance and they could terminate your data if you failed to remain with their captive service. I refuse to use a "Cloud" based services because of the risk of hacking. In addition, Abacus almost doubled the price of the old Amicus maintenance plan. I will never do business with Abacus.
September 13, 2018

“Easy to use”

ProsKeeps records of everything through one program. All my correspondence/ communication, contact info, file info, documents, timekeeping, calendar, etc. is tracked through Amicus. It's like a "one-stop-shop" deal.
ConsI try to keep the People (contact list) cleaned up, i.e. consolidate multiples or delete them. My People section looks fine after I "clean up" but no one else's is, because, each User has their own module/domain. Just wish that when I make those types of changes it would be effective for every User.
Kellie B.
February 23, 2017

“Abacus Senior Development Manager”

OverallBecause of the Senior Business Development Manager for Abacus, A.R., assigned to our account, our experiences with Amicus/Abacus are always positive. A.R. is absolutely fantastic to work with, very knowledgeable, and able to get immediate results. Having A.R. on your staff will ensure your customers are always happy and satisfied.
ProsAmicus has been bought by Abacus.
ConsAmicus Attorney has constant problems that never seem to be fixed. Now that Abacus has bought Amicus, and is running the show, I am sure it will get better because Abacus products/representatives are topnotch professionals who actually care about putting a great product out for their customers, and genuinely care about their customers, and always go the extra mile for them.
February 23, 2017
Jacob D.
Attorney/Partner
July 16, 2019

“A flexible tool for a small practice”

OverallHelps with bankruptcy hourly billing.
ProsThat I can access my billing and client info from anywhere
ConsTends to freeze/glitch when doing billing.

By AbacusNext on July 22, 2019
Dear Jacob, Thank you for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. At AbacusNext, we believe it's extremely important to deliver high-quality products that help you manage your practice. We're glad you find Amicus Attorney flexible and mobile. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come. Warmly, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882
July 16, 2019
Jeff K.
October 23, 2018

“Excellent software”

OverallSome frustrations here and there, but benefits greatly outweighed the issues. The best thing is that I can sleep at night without waking up wondering about this or that case. Really has improved my professional life and hugely improved my personal life, because the software really ties up the loose ends.
ProsHandles all aspects of a law practice: (1) contact management (2) file management (3) document management (4) communication management. I love having everything at my fingertips.
ConsNothing comes to mind. Works pretty well.
October 23, 2018
Evelyn M.
October 10, 2018

“Amicus Attorney”

OverallAs I mentioned to CSR - entering calendar dates and client information the program is great.
Proscalendar entries are quick. setting up contact information and new files is wonderful.
ConsI don't use hot docs other than for check requests and setting up new files. I find that receiving a document such as a pleading from an attorney who used hot docs sometimes is not friendly with word. I usually will take the contents from a hot doc document and use my own pleading formatted documents.
October 10, 2018
Janne O.
August 24, 2018

“Amicus Attorney Premium and the True Solo Practitioner”

OverallAmicus Attorney is my life -- everything is on Amicus Attorney.
ProsThe most important aspect of this program is that information only needs to be put in ONE time and it is available throughout the program.
ConsMy most recent reinstall to a new machine which had the brand new version of Windows 10 was very difficult and took a substantial amount of time -- but Tech Support (often more than one agent and at one point we had FIVE) was with us constantly and helped with the communication with Windows.
August 24, 2018
Melissa S.

“My Amicus Review”

OverallSaves us time because that is where we store contact information, client updates on the case and calendar appointments for clients.
ProsI like that we can store information on the Notepad section for each individual client. I also like that you can send "instant" messages to co-workers.
ConsThe software times out after awhile and I have to close the entire program and reboot it. Also, when I'm in the calendar and look at a date in the future if I reopen the calendar it does not default back to the current date.
Jody S.
Law Clerk
January 30, 2018

“I work in Amicus daily. My overall experience working with this software is great.”

OverallThis software keeps me organized and on top of my daily work product and time sheets.
ProsLove the calendar, file organization, communication centre and time sheets. The overall layout of the file folder is great and the customization of each file type and Document Groups is a great feature.
ConsNot a fan of the document feature. If you don't file the document in the system on the day you are working on the document then the date is the date when the document is entered. There is no option to change the date.