LiquidPlanner Ratings

Overall
4.3/5
3.9/5
4.4/5

About LiquidPlanner

LiquidPlanner gives teams a better way to plan and execute work. Teams at more than 2,000 organizations use our online project management and scheduling technology to focus on the work that matters, make data-informed decisions, and deliver projects on time. Learn more about LiquidPlanner

Chuck J.
Principal System Engineer
Biotechnology, 501-1000 employees
April 26, 2019

“Liquid Planner is a Very Effective Tool for Project Planning and Management.”

OverallOur team is fairly small (~50 users across the company) so we do not have dedicated resources to just maintain the information in Liquid Planer. However, Liquid planner is accessible and intuitive so we can have several team members contribute to the maintenance of project schedules as part of their duties. We use Liquid Planner to manage the temporal aspects of project management. The tool is very good for what it is designed to do. There are a rich set of reporting tools that allow for customization to meet our needs. It has done this job for us very well. The support provided has been timely and effective.
ProsThe product is well designed so that it is a relatively low bar to learn how to use it effectively. It is easy for team members to interact with the software and to enter the information according to each users project role. When used as intended, the software does an excellent job providing the necessary views into project status. The software definitely lives up to its name as modifying project plans and priorities is easy and the impacts of such changes are essentially instantly available. The numerous but intuitive ways to manage project subtleties such as available time, delays, etc. make it straightforward to create realistic project schedules.
ConsI do not have any specific negatives with respect to Liquid Planner. Like any software of this class, It does take some training and experience to get the most out of it. My best advice is to spend some time to understand how the designers intended the product to be used use it accordingly. LP has a rich set of features and if used properly will contribute positively to project management.
April 26, 2019
Gordon W H.
Digital Project Manager
Design, 11-50 employees
February 5, 2019

“Powerful and Flexible Project and Resource Planning, But Falls Short When Applied To Agencies”

OverallThis tool is extremely powerful and robust, but like any other tool, the quality of the data which comes out of it is only as good as the data that is put into it. We attempted over the course of 12 mos. to integrate this tool into our small agency (<25 users). While simple to use, the biggest challenge was buy-in from other department captains in using the tool to its full potential.
ProsI was very happy with the ease of use this product provided compared to some of the tools we used previously. It is built in a contemporary look and feel and is easy to navigate and manipulate data points in order to determine trends and better inform decisions. If you have the time and resources to dedicate to making sure the latest project data is always available, that is, due dates, estimated levels of effort remaining and hours logged are all kept up to date in a real-time basis, this tool has the potential to truly provide a wholistic and accurate view of the workload within an organization, along with any potential risks. The way the data are refreshed using the forecasting algorithms is a great feature which allows project managers to shift tasks around to determine how resources are affected.
ConsDespite the name of "Liquid" Planner, there were some decidedly "unliquid" principals in which the software was built upon which power the accuracy and overall value of the product. If more then 25% of these principals are not known or regularly updated, the entire product grinds to a halt and the value it provides is completely lost. It's not a fault of how the product was built. I never encountered a time where the service/software was down or unavailable and each time I reached out to the support team they were courteous and prompt with their response. Overall, I felt frustrated by the amount of data the tool needs (and how that data need to be structured) in order for the tool to be valuable and viable. More often than not, I felt myself and the team responsible for the tool were spending more time administering the tool itself rather than using the information coming out of the tool to better our projects.
February 5, 2019
Steven L.
Principal
October 12, 2018

“I am a fan, though our use is just scratching the surface”

OverallBecause of the lack of integrations, I have been looking for something to replace Liquid Planner with, and after seeing them, I could not stand to stop using Liquid Planner. I think that alone speaks volumes. I think you would be foolish to not look at their product. And there you have it.
ProsAs a web development agency, I can tell you the one feature that has prevented me from using another product, that is their task estimating feature. Why nobody else does this is beyond me (full disclosure: a lot of things are beyond me) :) When setting up a task you can actually estimate the time it will take the same way real people estimate tasks, with a time range. Who in the world ever hits their single estimate time targets all the time? NOBODY. With Liquid Planner you enter a range, 3 - 6 hours, 1-2 hours, etc. THAT IS A LIFESAVER FOR US. Another concept of theirs called "packages" is also brilliant. There you can take tasks and bundle them up into "folders" that make sense to you, so you can look at your projects
ConsThe thing that I dislike the most is there are not many integrations with third party time keepers for tasks and billing programs. Harvest would be an example, as would many others. They have their own time tracker, but to use it you ahve to have the app open. Lose internet, forget about it. Working in a car or on the train without internet? Forget about it. Also, their mobile app is not really of much value.
October 12, 2018
Riel M.
CTO/CIO
March 11, 2010

“The best project management tool for teams”

OverallThrough thoughtful design, LiquidPlanner has made a project management application that is a perfect fit for dynamic and collaborative teams. It could replace your current project, task, time management tools and company blog by integrating them all in a natural way. Liquid Planner has a transparent way of making you be mindful of exactly how the team is using its precious time. Our company president pleaded with me to get it set up so that he could use it as a tool to help the partners understand the team's capacity. He wanted a convincing way to show why more projects could not be taken on without an increase in staff. Liquid Planner allowed me to do this within a day. I feel like the Liquid Planner designers traveled into my mind to design the perfect project/task/time manager.
ProsHaving used many project management tools over many years, it's hard to not fall in love with LiquidPlanner. It feels like I've traveled to bizarro world where everything goes right. I can now put together comprehensive projects faster than I can plan them in my mind. I've never had this experience (including with Excel). Simply put, I don't feel the interface slowing me down. It feels like all "busy work" has been removed. I never thought I'd have a real-time schedule because of the requirements to maintain it, but LiquidPlanner delivers on this promise. Thank you. I'm embarrassed to say that "what if" scenarios are so easy and fast to do, I've developed stronger intuitive scheduling techniques without understanding exactly why they work. Am I now smarter or dumber? If you are not the type to love the clock-in/out button on each task, you might be the type to get hooked on adding a few notes when you complete each task because your notes are shared in the team's "blog."
ConsIntroducing a new company-wide system is always hard, but you you can use Liquid Planner to replace your project management tools, time-tracking tools and company blog so that should help reduce the total number of systems. Currently companies that need a fully-featured document library should stick with what they have. There is an API and the company has been aggressively releasing new features so maybe someday. If you haven't experienced a lot of project management tools, you may not be as passionate about it as I am. Part of it's appeal is that it does what any other project management tool integrated with a company portal can do, but it does it fast and easy enough that it's actually worth using.
March 11, 2010
Avery O.
Senior Program Manager
Computer Games, 201-500 employees
August 14, 2018

“Really powerful for project managers, less good for other users”

ProsReally powerful, the gantt chart overview was really useful while our estimates were kept up to date. Project-focused organization allows us to keep a broad view of a complex project and tagging and export features are able to generate a variety of views of our data in an organized way.
ConsOur executive team and eventually our developers stopped using it. Primary interface of the projects tab was too overwhelming & complex. No way to give teams a link that included the filters down to what they actually care about or give people a link to the exact view & set of filters that I was sharing during screen sharing. Not enough integration with external services (github, perforce, JIRA, bug tracking). Quite expensive. Overwhelming interface meant users didn't update tasks, which meant our data got out of date. Gantt chart stopped being accurate or useful and just got overwhelming. Dashboards could be made for visibility but didn't offer the teams opportunities to modify a limited view. Not easy enough to link to a specific task, or generate a new ticket in the right place with a simple link to a user-speakable identifier like a ticket-based system. Still great for people who are technically minded and want the big picture, not great for people who want a limited view of a subset of the project or are too busy to learn how to use the tool effectively.
David F.
Director of Academic Services and Technology
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
April 11, 2019

“Getting more projects completed with a lean team”

OverallWe have not only found this tool valuable in managing projects as they progress and helping us meet client deadlines, but we have greatly benefited from the analysis tools on the back-end of projects. We study our previous year's projects every winter and determine changes that need to be made in both how we use LiquidPlanner, but also in how we estimate the effort and resources needed to complete projects going foward. Additionally, we have utilized project data from LiquidPlanner to justify the expansion of our team going forward by clearly demonstrating the areas where additional hires will benefit the bottom line of our company.
ProsThis project management software has revolutionized the way our academic services department works through project plans. Working with 6-8 clients on dozens of various projects simultaneously is a challenge for a department with 8 full-time employees and 6 part-time contract employees is a huge challenge. There are dozens of hand-offs from one team to another team. LiquidPlanner has provided us with an agile tool that facilitates these handoffs and predicts where our bottlenecks could potentially appear months into the future.
ConsLiquidPlanner has a pretty steep learning curve when you first approach the application. The features themselves are relatively easy and intuitive, but the conceptualization of how the product works and how to use it with your own department is the challenge.
Medical Devices, 1-10 employees
April 12, 2019

“Hard to get over the preconceived notions, but worth it”

OverallI am very much a fan of this software. I think the limitations for how it can help is more around people understanding what it does differently than Project or similar tools than with the tool itself. One of my most recent experiences tells the story well. When we were discussing the pros and cons an individual with a lot of influence was complaining that dates in the tool move if someone is sick and not getting to their tasks. I had a hard time understanding a perspective that a plan with a date should be static regardless of what people do. This tool is about understanding your progress based on what people do, not a static planning tool that people never look at or influence by there actions and therefore allows us to pretend that finish dates don't change regardless of peoples actions or issues that can arise. My overall opinion is the tool is limited more by peoples perspective than anything else and if you want better tracking, predictability, and ability to influence results you need to invest 30% of your time on the tool and 70% of your time getting people to wrap their heads around what this is doing and not what it might replace.
ProsIt helps to organize the tasks and get people the right information to work on. It helps to prioritize what needs to happen and forecast how long it takes. It does a great job of managing hand offs within a team. It provides more tools than a typical user will ever need. The deeper you go the more value you can get.
ConsIt can be difficult to get people to understand that this is not typical planning software. A more robust tutorial and a better description of what this tool is would help get teams to start faster.
April 12, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
August 17, 2018

“Manager's view”

OverallIt's a great improvement over our prior way of working, but after a few years we still haven't perfected our system to get exactly what we needed. Ideally, the only manual steps would be timely tracking of work on tasks and revised estimates, but to get our needs met we've needed more manual work.
ProsPrior to Liquid Planner, all of our client projects were in individual Microsoft Project files - which isn't ideal when you have shared resources. Now that we've used LP for a few years, we have much better visibility to work coming down the pike as well as potential conflicts/overbookings. However, the tool is only as good as the team's willingness to use it in a timely and accurate manner.
ConsThe nature of our business and projects is much more complicated than what is featured in the sales process. Clients have a role in the process, and delays on their part push out all our deliverables. This is hard to capture/manage in LP without additional manual updates by the project manager. Also, we've had to devise a bit of a workaround workflow to allow us to properly prioritize individual tasks across multiple projects - again, requires some manual management/movement of tasks. When any of the manual work falls by the wayside, the quality of the projections in LP is diminished greatly.
August 17, 2018
Kristen B.
Senior Training Associate
Philanthropy, 51-200 employees
December 14, 2017

“LiquidPlanner - expensive, but with PM software, you get what you pay for.”

OverallOver the course of my career I have used a lot of PM software. I have used Project, Jira, Basecamp, Asana, and Trello in addition to LiquidPlanner. Out of all of them, LiquidPlanner is my PM software of choice.
ProsLiquidPlanner is a powerful project management tool. It can be used to track tasks, projects, employee capacity, schedules, deliverables, and hours. I find that the most important and helpful feature of LiquidPlanner is its ability to track employee capacity and move estimated completion dates back if someone is overloaded. This is crucial if you are working in an environment with multiple projects going on at the same time who are obliged to share certain resources (2D artists, programmers, video editors, etc.)
ConsAt most I can think of only two cons related to LiquidPlanner 1. Setting up a project in LiquidPlanner is definitely time-consuming. Project managers will need to dedicate several hours to transforming their WBS information to something that works in LP. However, this is just a drain on PMs and not project team members. 2. In some environments it can be difficult to get employees to "buy-in" to LiquidPlanner and consistently update their hours and tasks. It's a behavior change and culture shift that must be encouraged and re-enforced regularly.
December 14, 2017
Antoine L.
Internet, 1-10 employees
August 24, 2017

“Awesome project management tool with time tracking and more”

OverallFull PM tool, time tracking, billing.
ProsWe've been using Liquid Planner for the last 5 years now and I can say that we are now managing 100% of our projects with it. Building a platform like Potion is a lot of work in product design, marketing, development and customer support but Liquid Planner has been a huge help when it comes to managing our projects. Whether it's dealing with our internal or customer projects, Liquid Planner (my guys call it LP) has been a huge help. We're using only part of the tools provided by LP, such as packages, tasks, attributions, deadlines, time tracking, resource planning and scheduling, but it's already bringing a huge providing us with both flexibility and structure. The help resources are really thorough also and help us get the information we need to use it in an even better way. Finally, and I think it's certainly one of the biggest strength of Liquid Planner, its support team is tremendous. All of our requests are always answered with concise and clear replies that push us forward.
ConsAs any PM tool, there is a learning curve and you need to get the team using it in the good way. Thankfully, the help resources are great.
August 24, 2017
Ben M.
Head of Development Technologies
March 30, 2018

“Expensive, complex, and extremely powerful.”

ProsLiquidPlanner is quite customizable with different ways to view tasks and many different screens to visualize things in alternative contexts. For a project manager on the business side, it allows for very powerful organization of multiple projects and teams, and many possibilities for scheduling and prioritizing tasks. It allows for flexible time tracking using range estimates and a simple time entry view.
ConsIt's easy to lose track of how many hours were actually approved for a task if you want to take advantage of the ability to re-estimate things on the fly. It can be slow to load and cumbersome to use. It can be difficult to find things in the overly complex Projects view. Search filters get reset every time you click a task link from someone else that doesn't match your existing filters. It's not always intuitive how to find things using the available search options (for example, unless you put the project name in every task title, searching for the project name doesn't do much good). Time entry takes a lot of clicks with recent updates if you need to add notes to each item. The API is complex to use (though powerful).
March 30, 2018
Chris S.
COO
March 9, 2017

“Great for PM/OPs, bad for Devs & Creatives”

OverallI love it, however, our devs and creatives find it frustrating to use despite large amounts of training and personalisation. There are a number of tools that would make this more helpful and less painful to the "doers". Our business needs are well met, though there are other aspects that don't accomplish our requirements. Kanban, for example, as well as cross-team/project sprint planning whilst maintaining a weekly outlook. Finally, with the latest price hikes it doesn't feel "good value" and I'm now faced with justifying the expense when before it was self explanatory. This is compounded by exchange rates.
ProsI have recommended. I like the meld of planning and projection. I love the hi/lo estimations and the detail I can provide clients
ConsUseability for doers, especially timesheets Lack of integrations with SCM. Poor connectivity/communication for my clients; their portals don't show custom fields, board views or timelines for tickets/tasks. True Kanban is not feasible Sprint-based planning for cross-team/project resource is not possible alongside weekly overviews A desktop app would be great; especially for devs etc The mobile app hasn't changed since we started using this in 2012 and is highly impractical. Doesn't work well on ipads
Recommendations to other buyerslots!
Jackson K.
Account Project Manager
February 14, 2019

“The Perfect Project Management Tool”

OverallLiquidPlanner (or LP) is our time tracking and project management solution that allows us to plan and forecast, as well as look back at tracked data to become better. Overall, we are not looking to change any time soon as this tool is so embedded in the way we run our business.
ProsThis software helps our agency thrive and manage a lot of work with ease. We have out entire in house team as well as select contractors set up in this tool for our time tracking and project management of tasks and projects. It offers tons of flexibility and allows us to follow a hybrid waterfall/agile approach to managing work. Schedules are easy to create and export on the fly, reassigning team members and forecasting are easy, etc. It's also very easy to prioritize project work and escalate accordingly and look out and plan months in advance.
ConsMight be a little outdated feeling in that there isn't a Trello-style board to drag and drop projects/tasks/people, though there is a similar functionality still built in to the tool. It's also not really designed to allow external project teams (your clients) into the system, but there are workarounds.
February 14, 2019
James P. D.
Managing Director, Sales Effectiveness and Process Optimization
Management Consulting, Unspecified
January 15, 2018

“Powerful, adaptive, and flexible project management solution”

ProsThe blend of waterfall and agile capabilities, with a solid Kanban. It is an excellent planning solution for large waterfall based projects and equally capable for agile with scrum projects. For waterfall: It is far easier to use than MS Project or other such solutions that require manual control over dates. The priority based scheduling engine schedules based on priority of the task in the system's hierarchical order. While this is not always the most flexible, they provide numerous ways to control the prioritization with resource splitting, work caps, delayed starts, and dependencies. The time-tracking capabilities are impressive, and it easily integrates time, notes, and work items. The mobile solution is slick and works well. For agile with scrum: Liquid Planner can be configured with fields to capture stories, acceptance criteria, and other elements related to stories. The kanban boards can be configured with a variety of stages.
ConsWhile I agree with the priority based scheduling concept, and its implementation, I'd like a bit more flexibility to control my daily task list rather than having to rigidly follow what the schedule dictates I should be doing. Right now, the My Work section allows the user only to see their tasks in order of master schedule priority, which is not always the most logical order in which to work on a specific day. They do permit workarounds with the ASAP prioritization - which works well. My other suggestions for improvement are: - more granular control over alerts and feeds - synchronization with Google/Outlook calendar (right now it requires manual calendar synchronization) - Better reporting on agile with scrum, kanbans.
January 15, 2018
Ben M.
Head of Development Technologies
May 23, 2017

“There are cheaper and more full-featured solutions, but ”

OverallLiquid Planner is offering our business both a more consolidated approach to project management, as well as some features and functionality we didn't have before. Overall, I think it is helping our productivity.
ProsIt does a lot of things well. It offers a lot of advanced scheduling functionality for project managers. The Projects tab is incredibly powerful. Time tracking works well. Tagging people in comments is a useful feature.
ConsLiquid Planner's interface is kind of slow for us (we have a lot of projects). The Home and My Work tabs aren't very useful to me--they never seem to show me the right subset of tasks, which is possibly due to the way we're organizing projects and tasks, which causes most people to use the Projects tab, which is powerful, but advanced and cluttered. API integrations work well enough, but the Zapier integration, in particular, is lacking much useful functionality in my opinion. For example, what if someone wanted to send a Slack notification to a particular person every time a task was assigned to them? Currently, either not possible or at least much more difficult than it could be.
May 23, 2017
Food Production, 1001-5000 employees
August 14, 2018

“A versatile tool, adaptable to any project or process type. ”

OverallOverall my experience has been good, but frustrating. It took a lot of effort and time to build out the templates I needed, and getting the team to adapt it has been a roller coaster. There are a lot of functionalities I haven't gotten to explore yet, because most of my time has been spent on maintenance of projects. That is just for my situation though, and I don't have a ton of extra time to devote to expanding my usage of reports and dashboards. I would really like to set up dashboards, I just haven't had time.
ProsI like that it allows me to make templates for projects, it really makes it a lot easier to start a project off. I also love that I can make custom fields, it really helps me to capture all of the important data for our type of process. Plus, everybody can choose which fields they see on their project dashboard, it helps to make sure each person only sees what is important to them and nothing superfluous.
ConsI really wish there was the capability to collaborate on documents - that really would make this the perfect tool. I have asked multiple times about that, but I don't think it is in the plan to add anytime soon. You can add a link to a cloud based shared file, but nothing on internal servers. Just adds an additional step to complete work.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

“Simple Project Management”

OverallWe have been using LiquidPlanner for almost two years now. It is a good web solution that is relatively easy to use. We have had success in logging employee time against tasks, projects, and clients. It is a more robust tool than some of the basic project management tools on the market (or excel sheets). It does have some limitations that may or may not impact certain project management needs.
ProsLiquidPlanner is a good tool for tracking employee time against tasks and projects. We use this LiquidPlanner for tracking time associated with specific projects and clients.
ConsWith any tool, there are some limitations. LiquidPlanner does a decent job of reporting and dashboarding by project. For our organization, reporting and dashboarding by client and/or by month is more important. Unfortunately, there is not a good solution in LiquidPlanner to help us with this. The solutions that exist are clunky and/or partial. LiquidPlanner has the ability to create shared tasks which is a great feature. This allows multiple employees to be on the same task. Unfortunately, schedule timelines and priorities do not calculate well when using shared tasks. It's better for every employee to be on their own task for schedule timelines and priorities to calculate properly.
Jayna R.
Creative Services Manager
Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees

“LP”

OverallI use LP every day to manage our department's projects. We do not use all of the features for our smaller in-house team, but the project list, assigning owners, comments feature, file sharing and flexible prioritization features keep our workflow more streamlined and efficient. I also like that we can add freelance contractors to our workspace so the whole team can collaborate in one space. Again, it takes a little more time getting people acquainted with the system, so it would save me time if the UI and navigation were easier to understand.
ProsLiquidPlanner helps us stay organized and keeps all of our team's communications in a centralized place. I like that the scheduling and prioritization of projects is flexible. And I like that we can adjust the number of seats each month as the size of out team and freelance staff changes.
ConsIt seems difficult for people to catch on to the UI quickly. Most of our staff took a while to adjust to the way LP works and how to most effectively use the software. It might be worth looking into more user testing to find ways to make the navigation and data entry more intuitive.
September 6, 2018

“Awesome Project Planning Tool”

OverallIn my organization, we have a shared pool of resources and several project managers. Using Liquid Planner lets all the PMs see the whole picture in a very interactive way. No secrets here! This tool really helps us to schedule in a collaborative way which is much more productive than arm wrestling for resources.
ProsVery easy to use, but also robust project planner. The priority-driven schedule makes getting a snapshot of your overall project a breeze. Not making your dates? Rearranging the priorities of tasks simply by drag and drop to see the outcome. Reporting is easy and offers many options and the dashboards are very helpful.
ConsI do wish there were more reporting options to allow greater customization. I know they have an API for this sort of thing, but I don't want to dig into that. Just a few more fields, options and customization opportunities would be nice. I do have to say that their support team is always very interested in hearing about customer wants and needs, so to be fair, I have not actually requested any of these reporting wish list items yet.
September 6, 2018
Ann D.
Application Development Manager
August 17, 2017

“Great project management software even though it doesn't fit our needs 100% of the time.”

OverallI couldn't do my work every day without Liquid Planner. I am constantly referencing it and using it throughout the day.
ProsI like the way we can use this as a project management, time tracking, and a scheduling platform. So many other tools I've used only address one of these vital areas. The timers on each task are one of my favorite features of Liquid Planner. It makes it so easy to track time and see how accurate estimates really are on a given task or set of tasks. You can easily view progress, see overruns and areas of concern (there's a red fire icon), and put as many details in the actual task as you need. You can link tasks together, create dependencies, and perform other actions to get a realistic view of a project.
ConsSometimes it is difficult to set up scheduling the way our company needs it to be represented. However Liquid Planner always seems to be putting out new features and their support team is very helpful in trying to help their clients find solutions.
August 17, 2017
Kathy T.
Director Enterprise Solutions
Pharmaceuticals, 51-200 employees
March 8, 2017

“More visibility into shared resources”

OverallWe use LP to manage multiple concurrent client projects. With several project managers sharing resources, it is vital to have visibility into resource availability and potential schedule conflicts. Because of the extremely long duration of our projects (with heavy work in the beginning, then intermittently for months to years afterwards), it took us some time to develop a workflow that would allow for prioritization of individual tasks rather than projects as a whole. But we've come a long way from using stand alone MS project files! Time tracking directly on the task has also been very beneficial for more accurate tracking and billing of work.
ProsFlexibility, ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
ConsOur need for prioritization by task (rather than project) can make it challenging to get tentative timelines in front of a client that are still reasonably accurate. Would love to see a 'timekeeper only' user license option, would like to be able to track time against checklist item
Recommendations to other buyersMore levels of users / more flexible permissions would be helpful for our business. For example, Project Managers cannot run their own time reports without having full Managerial access.

“Robust and Flexible”

OverallWe use LiquidPlanner for all of out time-tracking, project-planning, and task management. It took us a while to get to a point where we were using it to its fullest potential, but it was worth the effort to do so. I definitely recommend it.
ProsLiquid Planner has many robust features and is incredibly flexible. There are so many different ways to find and view tasks that anyone will be able to configure their setup to work for them. Everyone on our team uses LiquidPlanner in the way that works best for them. We have users that use the "My Work" view, users that live in the projects timeline, and users who do all their work in the "card" view. The flexibility of LiquidPlanner is really the best feature.
ConsLiquidPlanner does a LOT of things, so it can have a pretty steep learning curve. My company has used the software for nearly 5 years and we still don't use it to its full capacity. It's well worth learning the software because the payoff is huge once you have it configured.
February 12, 2017

“Expensive but the Features are Worth It”

OverallI used this product for myself, because the firm I work for uses Microsoft Planner (free) which is crap. Liquid Planner isn't perfect, but it's one of the best out there. I like that it schedules my time for me. My main complaint is that you cannot assign clients to tasks like you can for projects. It is obviously optimized for companies that work on very large, involved projects, whereas, I do many short, discrete projects - like writing a NR or a newsletter. I set these up as tasks because it isn't worth the time to set up a project. Then, I have to nest them inside a project folder to assign them to a client. Frustrating
ProsExcellent time tracking and scheduling features, bonuses like setting dependencies, and comprehensive analysis and reporting features.
ConsOptimized for large, involved projects and as a result the Task designation isn't as helpful as it might be. Needs richer functionality in Tasks for short projects where it isn't worth setting up a project folder.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you can afford it, it's worth it, especially if you work on projects over long periods of time. I cannot imagine life without it.
February 12, 2017
Publishing, 11-50 employees
September 25, 2018

“Great project manager software”

ProsWe are an academic publisher. Our company has used LiquidPlanner for over 3 years to manage the progress of publishing a book from acquisition to publication and beyond. It is feature rich and would be of great use to those who need granular management of multiple projects with multiple team members. We did not need many of the advanced features but have still found the core application to be incredibly useful in our daily workflow. Gone are the days of inter-departmental memos and back and forth email threads.
ConsThe learning curve was a bit steep for our employees. To be fair, this was their first exposure to an online project management system. Once we were able to pare the numerous features down to the very basics, they were able to intuit how the system worked without being overwhelmed by the multitude of features that were not useful to our workflow.
September 25, 2018
David F.
Director of Academic Services and Technology
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
August 14, 2018

“Transformational for complex project management”

OverallWe have been able to keep our team small and nimble by utilizing LiquidPlanner to balance the workloads of our team members. We have been able to 'budget' resource hours of projects as much as 18 months in advance to forecast whether or not we need to grow our team.
ProsThis project management software has been transformational for our team of 15 people. The ability to assign people that do a variety of different tasks within a larger project is certainly what I wold expect from a project management application. However, the ability to make sure that the our people are not overbooked and that we are properly utilizing the skills of all of our team members is what separates this application from other project management applications I have used in the past.
ConsIt takes some time to get used to the way this software works and there was a good amount of trial and error when we first adopted it.
Jesse B.
Senior Application Architect
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
May 3, 2019

“Heavy on features”

OverallLP sits at the center of our workflow, for better or for worse. On the whole it's a very helpful and robust work planning solution. It's actively updated and they listen to their customers.
Pros- Manage nearly every aspect of work planning - Decent interface - Tons of options to visualize data - Frequent updates - Great support If you want to plan your work, LiquidPlanner can accommodate almost any workflow
ConsBecause it has so many options, it can be overwhelming. The best thing you can do for yourself when using this software is to determine what works for you early on. There are many different ways to implement different workflows in LP so take the time to define yours. There are some UI quirks that are really difficult to get around. The "my work" tab should be much more customizable in my opinion. The UI itself takes some getting used to as well.
May 3, 2019
August 14, 2018

“Wonderful organization and clarity!”

OverallWe have tried various project management softwares and this one allowed us to customize the process in a way the others didn't allow. Packages to organize the different projects and task is very helpful. Being able to create custom tags or attributes on tasks has also been very valuable.
ProsThis software has completely changed the way we complete projects. It has added clarity and helped us determine where we need to focus to improve the process. Being able to create reports and dashboards to see the information more clearly is very helpful! This software is reliable and accessible anywhere you can log in to the site, which is also very useful for employees who work remotely.
ConsI have very little to say about this software negatively. I would love to see more options for the dashboards to allow even more customization, but there is already a lot available.
Henrik H.
Henrik
Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 employees
March 9, 2017

“The potential of the system is excelent”

OverallI find the concept to be the best way to manage projects, but the interface, lack of costumizability causes an unnecessary interface complexity. There are so many items and features that could be hidden from the average user. But the biggest down side to the service is the complete lag of a notification system, making the task chat risky and out dated. I also find the price tag to be too high, especially for smaller innovators and teams. But I guess you prefer big clients and not small clients. The mobile app unfortunately is a very sad story, would love to use it but it is so slow and out of date that I find it unusable.
ProsThe project planing and the system as a hole
ConsNotification system Mobile app
Recommendations to other buyersI would like the chat, and notification to work more smoothly. A notfacition on "new message with you tagged" a message on your task, a message on tasks your following. A bit like the "My items tab" And a mobile app that supports timers, so you can start and stop them on go.
John M.
Construction, 1001-5000 employees
March 8, 2017

“In 'My Work' only show 'active' tasks”

OverallIf a task has multiple people on it, is set to 'work in order', everyone sees the Task in their 'My Work'. But if the person(s) before you on that task have not marked themselves 'done' you should not start on your portion of the task. Can you not show these tasks until you are the active worker on the task? You could add a capability in the filters to turn this off, just in case someone is searching for tasks that they are on but are not currently with them.
ProsEase of use, intuitiveness
ConsIf you are on a task marked 'work in order' you see the task in 'My Work' even though you are not the current person (i.e. people before you have not marked themselves 'done'). Can you set 'My Work' to normally only show tasks where you are currently active? You could allow the user to set the filters to see all tasks they are on, in case they would like to see tasks where they are not yet active.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are on a task marked 'work in order' you see the task in 'My Work' even though you are not the current person (i.e. people before you have not marked themselves 'done'). Can you set 'My Work' to normally only show tasks where you are currently active? You could allow the user to set the filters to see all tasks they are on, in case they would like to see tasks where they are not yet active.
Ian L.
March 8, 2017

“Does everything we need in one place”

OverallWe turned to LiquidPlanner as we needed a way to handle a lot of projects and clients in one place, with multiple members of staff assigned to each, all tracking time against different tasks within a project. LP enables us to analyse staff performance, billable hours logged against a task, project or client and apportion resources accordingly. It's central to our business and also means we can provide transparency and accuracy to clients when reporting on what work we have done for them. Our staff find it helps them to manage their workload, collaborate and understand dependencies easily. It takes a little time for new starters to get used to clicking the button to time everything they do, but the benefits are enormous for us as an agency.
ProsReporting Task management Project structuring
ConsPer-seat licensing gets expensive as the team grows or if you use a lot of freelancers. Some quirks to the interface, could be more intuitive.
Jacob N.
Stewardship Specialist
Government Administration, 11-50 employees
April 11, 2019

“Comprehensive project management software for multiple staff across an organization”

OverallOverall it has been a way to help other staff get more organized. I honestly was doing fine just using Excel spreadsheets before, but it has helped management see more of what is on everyone's plates.
ProsLP is eminently flexible and encourages staff to think out the full life-cycle of a project. I appreciate custom fields and tags, estimated times, the ability to follow other people's projects, time-tracking, in-project messaging, the breakdown of projects-tasks-checklists, and more. Not to mention reports and dashboards.
ConsOnboarding is a huge effort, and maintaining project management is somewhat time-intensive. Also, our management team has done a poor job ensuring all staff use it in the same capacity, and management hasn't led by example.
Yong L.
Leading Developer
March 9, 2017

“The transparency of the project gives great confidence to all”

OverallWe are using LiquidPlanner (LP) in almost every project. Besides tracking and reporting progress inside, one of the best things is to keep our clients updated regarding their projects in real time. Such transparency has huge benefit to both side, the clients and the development team. For clients, they may gain confidence from the project progress at any time. Especially, many of them are start-ups. They relies on the project to develop their business and talk further with the potential investors. The real time update helps to plan their future in a more accurate way. For the team, LP is used to get real time feedback from clients. Any blocks may be identified and solved in time. And we know what we did is what the clients need and does bring business value to them. In general, with LP, all the parties around the project get the transparency and are given the great confidence of the success.
Prosshare information among all parties.
ConsN/A
Recommendations to other buyersN/A
Felipe G.
Graphic Design, Unspecified
March 8, 2017

“The best project management software I've ever worked with”

OverallLiquidPlanner is a very complete software for managing projects, time spent, people, clients and analyzing the overall performance of your company. It has a lot of different functionalities. You'll probably never use all of them, since the system is so complete it has different features for different needs of all kinds of companies. We work with advertising and LP is invaluable in our day to day life. Customer support is rarely needed, but when it is, they are fast, polite and helpful. Having compared LP to other project management software, I can say I've never found one that adapts itself to our needs as much as this one.
ProsVery large feature set, great support.
ConsIt's almost perfect, but there are some features I do miss and since it's so complete, sometimes it can be difficult to learn how to use a tool for the first time.
Recommendations to other buyersWhen in doubt, ask the customer support for help. They'll likely find an answer for what you need.
Cate P.
Engineering Project Manager
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
May 6, 2019

“Detailed Management with East of Use”

OverallLiquidPlanner has enabled me to bring resource conflicts to my stakeholders with the information to make recommendations and have the impacts of those recommendations available to communicate.
ProsThis software allows the user to manage multiple projects and see the impacts, dependencies and conflicts among them. The prioritization, and ease to change priority, are key to knowing where projects are running into issue.
ConsWe are waiting for resource pools to be able to assign work to a specific group that has a limited number without assigning the work to a specific person. Also, the need to constantly refresh each area when a change is made adds to the time is takes when creating a schedule or working through issues in a schedule.
May 6, 2019
Katherine M.
Instructional Designer
Education Management, 51-200 employees

“Instructional Design perspective”

OverallOverall this is a great product.
ProsGreat way to organize your projects if you are following from a true project management perspective in which various entities can't be done without the completion of another. A lot of features and customization to make it your own experience.
ConsAfter filtering projects and such, you can't organize it the way you want to, such as in alphabetical order, numerical, or priority. The filters it contains eliminates items, and i like to see everything. We do a form of project management but not in the true textbook sense, as certain tasks and items do not stop us from completing something, everything can still keep moving. Our process is a mix of qualitative and quantitative.
Brenda L.
Principal Project Manager

“Great for Shared Teams”

OverallWe use because we have a lot shared team members across many projects that are managed by multiple project managers. The priority package really lets us schedule out the work in an organized fashion. Most of the users can just look at the My Work tab and figure out what they are supposed to do. This is the ONLY program that gives us this option. Trust me, we looked.
ProsEasy of schedule multiple people across multiple projects. The dashboards are also good, but we run out of widgets fast.
ConsWould be good to add attributes to the client or project level. For example, we want to make a whole project billable or all projects from a client billable.
Recommendations to other buyersIt's really easy to get up and running. Sometimes the hardest thing is to get people to update their hours (we don't use the timesheet feature.) You have to get them to make it a habit.
Bob B.
February 10, 2016

“From An Interesting Idea To An Essential Tool”

OverallI am the principal of a medium sized engineering design consultancy, working mostly in the construction and design worlds. We work on some very challenging and innovative projects, where team work and complexity are everyday issues. We had struggled for many years trying to manage our design work with spreadsheets, project management software, time sheets, etc and so on. We always started off with a great plan, but then found it impossible to keep that plan up to date as projects progressed, and then ended up making do. When we found Liquid Planner we were intrigued by the on-line accessibility and by it allowing multiple simultaneous users; everything could be centralised off site, and could be accessed out of hours from anywhere. We took the plunge in January 2014 and switched everyone over to Liquid Planner overnight. We developed a simple easy to use system for organising all of our projects in one single space, and it worked straightaway. We developed packages for each person, what we call Now Boxes, in which they shuffle their own priorities whenever they want. We incorporate dependencies to tasks, and so warnings pop up when staff move things that adversely affect task sequences. Time sheets are entered accurately in real time, and everything worked well from the off. We then moved on to another level and, with some simple customising of the fields relating to tasks, we used Liquid Planner to re-invent our quality assurance system. As structural engineers checking and quality is an essential part of our work, and with some simple tweaks Liquid Planner become our quality assurance system, and has been approved as such by our British Standard Institution ISO 9001 inspectors. In fact they were amazed at how easy and immediate our system was. Clicking and dragging on the gant chart would be nice. Also the space devoted to obscure things like date shift windows would be better spent on making diary views more accessible. We love it and are always singing its praises; it is like a member of our team.
Higher Education, 201-500 employees
August 20, 2019

“Effective Project Management Solution that can Adapt to Your Needs”

OverallThe product and support are great. If you put the time and effort into learning the tool and you have complete buy-in from your team, you'll be successful with it.
ProsThe solution is very flexible and, with internal discussion and buy-in, can effectively meet the needs of most organizations.
ConsThe solution is built on the idea of priority-based work. Everything is essentially given a top-down rank of importance, with items either moving up or down the stack as needed. The system then adds resource capacity to predict when items will reach completion. We have enough projects, work efforts, tickets, etc. in motion concurrently that managing priority this way is more laborious than I'd like.
August 20, 2019
April 25, 2019

“Incredibly Powerful Project Management”

OverallWe have been using LiquidPlanner for years and have very unique needs. We are still finding new ways to tweak our workflow in LP to work even better for our team. There have been a few times we have looked at other solutions, but nothing matches the power that it provides.
ProsLiquidPlanner is incredibly versatile. Its scheduling engine is amazing and it provides vital data at a glance. There are a plethora of features available that, once learned and properly implemented, are sure to benefit every team that uses it.
ConsIt has a fairly steep learning curve. It looks simple enough to start but to get the full effect of the software you'll need to set up complex options and properly configure your environment.
Christian P.
PM
February 10, 2016

“Does exactly what I need it to do. Could do some things better.”

OverallPros: 1. As a service provider, I find it incredibly useful to manage all client projects and tasks through a single system. Invoicing my clients, which used to take 8 to 10 hours every month, now takes half an hour. The time tracking at each task is fantastic, as is the ability to have different billing rates for different customers. We integrated the downloadable timesheet CSV file into a database to assign our own invoice numbers and produce consolidated reports. 2. Our team is geographically dispersed, with members in different time zones and working different schedules. We use LP to collaborate on tasks, capture notes, and track documents. We've recently started to use Google Docs more than Microsoft Office documents, which we link through each task's "Links" section. We've found this to be a great extension to LP. At the same time, we still often upload documents, especially for version management and published documents. Cons: We manage a lot of tasks across a small team. The more tasks we have, the more difficult it is becoming to stay on top of them. The search feature has improved dramatically over the past few months. So that has helped a lot. But, we still find ourselves on occasion creating duplicate tasks, because the original isn't immediately apparent. The single sheet approach to a task has it's own pros and cons. But in my opinion, having separate tabs for "Task", "Planning", "Notes", etc would be a better approach. It would be even better to have flexibility to add custom tabs, so each task could have multiple note fields on their own tabs. I would use this to have a tab for Contacts, for example, and another for general notes. Ideally, this could be set up as a template, so that every task I create would automatically have the tabs I want. Managing task dependencies is cumbersome. Export tasks to PDF is cumbersome (or maybe I don't know how to use it right).
CherRon S.
Lead Instructional Designer
Higher Education, 11-50 employees
August 27, 2018

“Project software I would recommend”

OverallLiquid planner has enabled us to track project hours in a more detailed way. We can see the allocation of hours across the spectrum of the project where as before liquidplanner we only had a total number of hours for the project but could not see where those hours were spent. We also couldn't do projection planner for staff assignment before Liquidplanner.
ProsI like how easy it is to use and how you can adapt it to any industry. I work in curriculum development and we were having a hard time finding a project management system that worked for our needs and our industry. LiquidPlanner has been flexible to meet our needs.
ConsI don't have any cons about the product.
August 27, 2018
Mike W.
Director of Technology Services
Publishing, 51-200 employees
April 25, 2019

“Long term user of Liquid Planner”

OverallI use Liquid Planner to manage all my technology projects across the entire organization. The tool has worked out very well with my project manager and the people who are executing the projects.
ProsThe tool is easy to ease into and doesn't require you to use all the features to use. Once comfortable with the basics, adding additional features into your projects in simple and intuitive.
ConsThere isn't a good way to separate business units within one instance of the tool. Either you have to be ok with visibility across business units, or have to maintain multiple accounts along with multiple license costs.
Bojan H.
Director of Operations

“4 years of LQP”

Overallis good
Pros-Very good project management tool - Flexibility - The small learning curve for basic use - Good customer support
Cons-it is getting to be expensive - only one user price point is a problem ( it needs to have difrent price point based on how the user interacts with the LQP. Examples: Power User- admin type, regular user - manager type and a task-oriented user can only see tasks and information on the tasks assigned to them and price point needs to be way more affordable for this type of the user. -mobile app needs to be updated in the current state it is useless.
Celeste J.
Quality Manager
March 8, 2017

“LP is great for process control”

OverallLP is great for planning, but it is good for so much more! As a Quality Manager, I use LP to help maintain quality standards by implementing templates for various product types. Checklists ensure that standard tasks are followed and nothing is skipped. LP helps me feel confident that our defined processes were followed for each project and keeps processes from going out of control. LP is also flexible enough for me to implement customizations for error checking and continual process improvement ideas.
ConsThe search functionality is lacking. Filters are OK for broad searches. If I want something specific I have better luck searching my email for LP comments than using the LP search functionality.
Fred L.
Vice President
September 22, 2015

“Refreshing Change from Previous Project Management Applications”

Overall** PROS -Our number one reason for moving from Wrike to LiquidPlanner is the ability to maintain and monitor resource forecasts for our team of CRM consultants. -LiquidPlanner has many of the features we love about simpler applications like BaseCamp, Asana, etc; however, it also includes the additional project management attributes and features to make it useful for a consulting organization (e.g. delay until, estimated effort, etc.) -Priority-based scheduling, custom fields and dashboards / analytics make LiquidPlanner a great fit for our team of specialists that work in 3 offices across Western Canada. -Attributes like remaining effort, max effort, daily limits, etc. make it really simple to communicate boundaries to our consultants in a simple and consistent manner -We absolutely love the ability to layout a project plan with a finite set of resources without having to hardwire task dependencies to get a sense of schedule. We're never going back to MS Project. -Online documentation and videos is proving to be extremely useful. Nice job providing materials that reflect how we work as opposed to focusing only on software features. ** CONS -Although it's a key feature of LiquidPlanner, we're not yet at a state where we're comfortable working with ranged estimates because we haven't quite figured out how to align them with our proposed budgets. Our statements of work are based on time and materials. The struggle is not with the concept (makes total sense) - it's with the data entry. If we estimate 100 hours of effort for our client then what do we enter as Estimated Effort in LiquidPlanner? -Lack of Invoicing Features. We're currently migrating time sheet data from LiquidPlanner to FreshBooks for billing purposes. Either a pre-built integration OR an invoicing feature would be a great addition to LiquidPlanner.
September 22, 2015
Paul R.
Manager of Embedded Software
Computer Hardware, 51-200 employees
April 18, 2019

“LP helps us manage inter and intra project priorities and tasks”

OverallA valuable tool to allow us to see the full breadth of ongoing projects and their inter-relation/dependencies
ProsLP allows us to keep detailed project level tasks and plans to ensure efficient execution of our projects. The ability to immediately see the impact of any reassignement / replanning on both the specific project and across all corporate in-flight projects, helps us make timely decisions that improve productivity and workflow.
ConsLP is a forward looking tool, getting past / historical data is not easily supported.
Chrystall S.
Quality Assurance Associate
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees
August 14, 2018

“Liquid Planner is Amazing”

OverallMy overall experience with Liquid Planner has been Great! I rely on it to help me stay on track and make sure that I complete my assigned tasks!
ProsThis software is very user friendly. Liquid Planner is the best tool that we currently have for our employees to keep on track with tasks and new assignments that are to be completed. Since using Liquid Planner, I have been able to stay ahead of assignments and complete them ahead of schedule.
ConsThe one thing that I would change about Liquid Planner is the Projects tab. I feel that when you go into this tab it is a lot of information that is needed and very helpful but it needs to be more organized. This one tab could be more organized and easier to follow.
Mark R.
Account Manager
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
July 24, 2019

“A Tool For Analytics, WOW!”

ProsOk, overall I am very impressed with this tool. I haven't ever seen a tool that can pull such detailed analytics for tracking tasks. I am able to see down to the detail of how long it takes for particular teams, and individuals to accomplish tasks. I also love that I am able to give my CUSTOMERS access! This is huge. I love knowing that my customers can jump in and I can control what they see. This way we can work with their team on different tasks but they don't have to see everything we are doing. This has helped so much with Transparency.
ConsDesign design design. This tool has various views that are awesome, but overall, it still looks like something made in the early 2000's. Now they make up for that with the intense amount of detail they provide, but it would be nice to have a cleaner platform that doesn't make me feel like i'm using an outdated software. This isn't a deal breaker, but it is a different level of professionalism.
July 24, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
December 13, 2018

“Mid Level Employee using softwar”

ProsI like that i can put all my things on a ticket and keep track of them through the prcess of developmente. I can send things to other team mebers on them and keep all the information in one place
ConsIt is hard to keep my baord clean. Say there are two developers on one ticket my status is in devleopmentt but I get doen I can't chagne the status on the ticket to be code review cause they are still working and it needs to be in devleopment for htem now I have two tickets in developmtn.
December 13, 2018
Audrey M.
March 8, 2017

“Good Project Management Software for the Right Company”

OverallLiquidPlanner is a fully featured Project Management software. It has made robust gains in analytics and dashboard reporting in the last few releases which when used in tandem with custom fields can be quite useful. The biggest selling point and also the biggest difficulty (for our business model) is the adaptive scheduling which uses ranged estimates to automatically schedule resources across multiple projects. This works really well IF LiquidPlanner is up to date, and IF everyone is a full time resource. Using it with contractors who have limited or variable availability has been a little tough since there is no way to model this across time. There is a setting to adjust availability by day of week, but as a reoccurring standard (as in, someone always only has 4 hours on Friday). User adoption is really key to getting the full value of the software - more than with other products in my experience. It doesn't stand alone like an MS Project, so it is not necessarily great for external, client-facing uses. There are portals to bring external team members in, but there has been less advance on that front than in the dashboards/analytics in recent releases. It does have a robust commenting feature which is often more convenient than emailing since it keeps all of that conversation with the task, hours, estimates, etc in one place. The team at LiquidPlanner is extremely responsive, though. They take in suggestions and actually act on them. They respond to support requests quickly and thoroughly. It is a very high standard of customer service on that front. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product to someone looking for a well-supported, innovative project management solution for teams that work only internally and with full time resources.