ShrinkRapt Ratings

Overall
2.5/5

About ShrinkRapt

Patient billing, insurance claims (paper and electronic), notes and scheduling, ShrinkRapt does it all, without monthly fees saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Your purchase can be customized so you only pay for the features you need. After you purchase, you always have access to your information because you own a software license, unlike online programs, where you loose access to your information if you stop paying the monthly fee. Learn more about ShrinkRapt

Mel B.
Psychotherapist
May 16, 2017

“Simple, not perfect but when compared to other software just a bit pricey. Fits my solo practice.”

OverallRunning my own practice and doing it all SR makes billing for my small solo practice easy and fast.
ProsSimple to use, good continuity moving through the functions. Latest ver 9.0 big improvement over what I've used for 10+ yrs. Switching screens is easy as clicking the tabs. Software integration removes redundancy. Emailing with tech support not perfect but have found their tech knowledgeable, patient and easy to work with, never had to wait for more than overnight for help. I use ST daily and it's become easy that it's like second hand.
ConsThrough all my years using SR my experience with the developer has not been good. There is a learning curve with SR but once accomplished you don't have to deal with him. Insurance processing leaning toward the company affiliated doesn't help me much. I can keep going but my 30 years experience working with computers has taught me there is no perfect system.
May 16, 2017
Scott B.
Psychiatrist

“Still going strong!”

OverallEasy to use, streamlined billing software. Great customer support. Fairly priced
ProsI have been using ShrinkRapt for over 20 years. I first purchased it because it was the only mental health billing software that worked on a Mac. I'm a solo practitioner and have been using it successfully since then. I've found that Mike, the founder, has been very responsive in answering my questions. I haven't had any need to shop around, but I suspect that the price of Shrinkrapt is low compared to other vendors out there.
ConsThere are a few bugs that have come up, but nothing that can't be fixed. Every time I've had problems with my large data file, Mike has been able to help me figure it out
June 2, 2018

“Poor Support Experience, Bad UX, Complicated Upgrade Process, Stay Away. 0 stars if I could.”

ProsNothing really -- thought I guess it did serve to help my mom do her therapy billing for many years when it worked. so that's something.
ConsThe single worst thing about Shrinkrapt is the non-existent support experience and the owner's lack of empathy for his customers. My mother used this software for many years in her private therapy practice, and every year or so we'd experience a new crisis with a corrupted data file, failed upgrade or other data-disaster that would cause weeks of frustration, lack of productivity for my mother and nothing but vague e-mails and poor documentation from their e-mail-only support. No basic customer service like empathy or apology, no offer for a phone call or remote session. Just e-mail responses suggesting things we'd already tried. Last week, we upgraded our Mac OS and couldn't find a year worth of data. Mind you, we have THREE COMPLETE AND CURRENT BACKUPS OF OUR ENTIRE SYSTEM. But when we couldn't figure out how to find the data file within our backups, our multiple requests for a phone call were ignored, and the owner sent an unempathetic e-mail implying that we had no backups so our data was gone. I am the owner of an I.T business and myself and my techs put about 15 hours into trying to get my mom's data back, but, just like many others on this forum, our data was never located and my mom is moving onto a simpler and more modern system. I'm happy to say we've finally stopped using Shrinkrapt - hopefully this review saves someone else the troubles we've been through!

By Saner Software on June 5, 2018
As we explained to you in multiple emails, the ShrinkRapt data file has a .4dd extension. To locate the data file, you simply need to search for files with a .4dd extension, which takes minutes, as we show in this three minute video on our YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ELwIZxSYU&t=9s
June 2, 2018
Susan S.
MD
October 20, 2016

“Long time user. Now to be a former user.”

OverallI have used SR on a Mac OC since early 90's. It has always be very basic which was fine for my needs (solo MD). All updates have been nightmares. I recently attempted to update to 9.0. DISASTER! My old 7.1 was not working well; Sierra was going to make that worse. So I bought the new system as their Facebook page said 9.0 was operational with Sierra. the update almost destroyed my data. It took my husband hours and the use of an old mac that had an older OS to work. I requested tech support during all of this. I got one line emails and no more than one per day (except after I fixed the problem and they knew I knew they'd screwed up. Then I got a lot of action.) My final communication with them amounted to the owner/developer telling me it was my fault because Sierra was a new OS and it was unreasonable for me to expect no problems (so why sell something that's not ready for market?). They also told me "hundreds of people" were successfully using SR on Sierra (Huh? Why did it work for them and not me?) Note, although I had just downloaded Sierra, SR 9.0 had been available for about six months. I'm one of those people who keeps applying duct tape, or virtual duct tape, until the the flaws in a system should be clear to a 3 year old. I realize now I should have thrown in the towel when the new CPT codes were released. Back in the late 90's I had a patient who was a data management engineer at a major credit company, Experion I believe. He warned me that the base data management software that SR is built on was the type of non-standard system that would eventually not be supported nor used by other software developers. This seems to be exactly what has happened. It's a dinosaur. In my opinion, no one should be buying SR 9.0 unless they've already been using it and don't want to go through the headaches of converting to a new system. If you are one of those people, you need to start working on your escape plan now; it's only a matter of time.
ProsVery basic.
ConsSee my review. One major problem that's always been annoying is that you can only print out one note per sheet of paper. AND you have to click into and out of several windows to print each note. No mass note printing is available. Huge wast of time and paper.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are starting fresh, don't get this product. If you are updating to 9.0 from an older version and using a mac DO NOT download Sierra.
October 20, 2016
Jo L.
May 18, 2017

“Overall, the program functions well. Tech support is great when I have a problem”

ProsIt is easy to use. I like the main page where I can scroll down and see all the names and the date of the last visit and patient balance, a feature that is very useful. I love having the tech support as needed.
ConsSometimes the program has a math issue (usually a penny). I would like to see the insurance payment page a little more user friendly. I have seen issues where the payment doesn't always record within the program although it may show on the sessions page. This seems to happen mostly with secondary insurance. When I click on "add", I may get too many dates, although they were already processed.
Michelle S.
Clinical Director
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
January 6, 2017

“best workflow design of all I've used.”

Overallthis program thinks the most like a therapist of all I've used. It is easy to fix mistakes and billing issues. You can bill electronically through Office Ally for free. lives securely inside your own computer. This means though that You will have to take care to keep your own backups and archives on and off site. Unfortunately, it cannot import ERAs except through a single, too expensive, third party. Clinical Note templates not very functional compared to others (though there is a version since v.8.01 so maybe they've improved? ) I left it for more features and an online system. but I still miss the simplicity of workflow. You'll seldom need tech support. but the responsiveness is variable when you do.
January 6, 2017
Robin A.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
May 18, 2017

“I was a very satisfied user for many years, but then telephone customer support disappeared.”

Overallorganization
ProsEasy to set up and use; works especially well on Macintosh computers. Customer support was great many years ago, but..see cons below
ConsNo customer support, despite claims of unlimited support. It may be okay if you don't mind emailing. Updates are overpriced

By Saner Software on May 18, 2017
Robin - Thanks for taking the time to review ShrinkRapt. I would highly recommend checking out our new website (SanerSoftware.com) and YouTube channel where you will find tutorial videos and lots of written documentation.
Karen K.
Psychologist/owner
May 17, 2017

“Used this program since 1988. Works inexpensively and easy. ”

OverallEase of use, simple and inexpensive compared to other options out there.
ProsIt is easy to use and to learn. Only one charge at purchase and no ongoing monthly charges for the program itself. You can use its data sheet for many online electronic billing services.
ConsWish it had a correcting spell check. It does tell you when the word is spelled wrong. Getting spoiled by other self-correcting programs, I guess!
May 17, 2017
Paul S.
Licensed Psychologist
May 18, 2017

“I have used this software since 1992 and could not imagine my practice without it!”

ProsWell constructed software that anticipates what data most psychologists need to enter on their patients.
ConsThey eliminated some of the data analytic features from previous versions. I wish they had kept it (such as graphical representation of data).
Beverly A.
Business Manager

“Fantastic”

ProsIt's easy to use and claims get sent out daily. They have added a new jobber for claims that I haven't used yet due to business issues.
Lynne W.
Office Administrator
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
May 18, 2017

“Have been using it for years and we are very pleased with how it works for our practice.”

OverallAll my information is in one place and is easily pulled up and worked with. It is simple and easy to work with.
ProsIt's ease for running patient bills and insurance claims. It is easy to put in all the insurance information and link different accounts.
ConsI am not able to automatically link the insurance payments in the new version to the actual session which the patient has had.

By Saner Software on May 18, 2017
Lynn - Thanks for your review. Please email techsupport for help with matching insurance payments to patient visits. This is definitely a feature in ShrinkRapt.
Shannon D.
Psychologist
February 17, 2017

“Shrinkrapt became a nightmare”

OverallI used this program for over 5 years and had various problems with it. Not super user friendly and only email for technical assistance. The last upgrade I purchased caused terrible problems with the accounting such that the balances of clients were incorrect and the tech was unable to fix it. After weeks of trying to get it to work, I emailed the owner about the problem to see if they would speak to me on the phone to try and correct the problems. He wrote back an extremely rude, pejorative and pedantic email stating that if I would simply follow instructions I would not have this problem. My personal computer guru who has been in the field for decades could not even get the program to work following the instructions they provided via email. I wasted over $700 on the upgrade but I am still switching to another program.
Prosworks with Mac
ConsEverything else
Recommendations to other buyersDon't use it
February 17, 2017
patricia v.
user
January 31, 2018

“No real support other than e mail. No screen share or telephone assistance. ”

ConsNo support. I recently updated from an older version which was much better and easier to use. 2018 is lousy. Had I known I would have chosen a different software. It also isn't easy on the eye. The videos are very limited and hard to find what I am looking for or if it even exists
January 31, 2018
Sarah W.
Clinical Psychologist
January 11, 2018

“Its a poorly designed program with a lot of bugs ' one which resulted in the loss of all of my data.”

ProsWhen the program failed to work (multiple) times, tech support said they were aware of the problem and had just fixed it. During the 2-3 months that I used it, they had frequent updates.
ConsCustomer service is only available via email. The program stopped working multiple times. The last time it stopped working, they suggested that I download another updated version of the program. During my attempt to download the new version, I lost months worth of data. I hired an expert to try and figure out the problem but was unable to retrieve it. When I gave up on Shrinkrapt and asked for a refund, they stopped responding to me.
January 11, 2018
Pat W.
psychologist and owner
October 9, 2009

“Love it.”

OverallHighly recommend. It has been an exxcellent tool for me and my solo practice.
ProsI have used Shrikrapt 5.1 for about 4 years now. It has made my accounting, billing, claims, reports, etc. sooooo much easier. I rarely meet a problem. And, I often find aspects and features that I haven't been using and am glad to have.
ConsTwice I have had the software not recognize that a patients insurance information was entered. I havejust started over and it took about 3 minutes (after I just gave in to the problem) to re-enter it and then we'd be flying.
October 9, 2009
Anna B.
August 21, 2014

“Stole our money for the 8.0 version that does NOT work!”

OverallShrinkRapt was just OK the way it was but this year they sold their customers the "new and improved" 8.0 version which DOES NOT WORK in any way, shape or form. They say customer support is free, however, you don't get any so that's a fair statement! You can only contact them by email, they give you a one-liner back and refuse to admit their product is defective. They will be reported for stealing our money as they had every opportunity to at least issue a patch or even a refund. They are aware fully of their defective, non-useable, slow and inferior software yet refuse to do anything about it. Please, do not purchase this. Buy anything but this. These are two brothers in a basement who think they know how to write computer programs. A real joke. I only gave one star above as I could not give less.
August 21, 2014
Steve F.
Psychologist
December 13, 2011

“Horrible Customer Service, Poor Product”

OverallDO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ProsRelatively cheap compared to other some other software
ConsThe worst customer service in the industry. Updated 1 time in 10 years. This is a one man show, and if he is not available, you can go days without customer support. Crashed frequently. Owner/developer thinks everyone shoud be a computer programmer in the way he addressed personnel, threatened to disable software without reimbursement when you complain, and rarely followed through with phone calls to him.
December 13, 2011
Jonathan K.
June 25, 2014

“Decent Product - Lousy/Unfriendly Support”

OverallThe software itself is decent and fairly easy to use. Customer support is another story. The owner will only do support via email - will not talk on the phone. The email answers are always as brief as he can possibly make them, and so are often confusing. When you ask for clarification, he responds with another very brief email. Thus it can take many emails over an extended period of time to resolve a fairly simple issue - far too time-consuming. The tone of his communications is curt and unfriendly. If I had it to do over, I would not buy this software.
June 25, 2014
Susan B.
December 4, 2014

“not happy”

OverallIt is easy to use and I liked it at first but, sometimes the payment entries work and sometimes they don't, so i always have to go in and make adjustments which are time consuming. The printed forms (I'm using up what I have print below the line on the bottom but in line on top so there's no way to adjust it. IAgain, I have to white out and write in on the bottom Very time consuming. IMy computer needs to update its OS and it won't support the old Shrinkrapt so I'm looking for new software.
December 4, 2014
Melisa S.
Office Manager/ Biller
February 18, 2016

“If i could give 0.... i would. ”

OverallThis product is outdated, not user friendly, most features are overcomplicated (multiple steps for payments and adjustments). And simple features don't work, or completely missing, i.e. being able to save scanned information in a PT profile and scheduling. Saner Software will tell you their product has scheduling capabilities, but it works just as well as pigs fly. Don't waste your time or money... hire a biller or use another software...
February 18, 2016
S R.
Counselor
February 4, 2014

“Shrinkrapt more for Solo Offices”

OverallVery hard to get technical support. Only one person can use this system at a time. Not functable for more than one person.
February 4, 2014
Lavanya B.
Licensed Psycholoist
July 19, 2011

“I hate this product”

OverallNot at all. I'm returning this product and searching for another.
ProsDoes the basics but not worth the money.
ConsThis software looks like it is from the 90's. It's so antiquated and not at all intuitive to use. I've spent so long trying to figure out simple things and the tech support is minimally helpful. They don't take calls and did not call me back after a request to speak with someone directly. This is an aweful product.
July 19, 2011
Kathleen P.
July 13, 2010

“Shrinkrapt Review”

OverallFix problems yourself or buy some other program.
Prossimple program, doesn't use much power, I used it on my Vista system as well as older form. Prints out forms ready to be mailed to the insurance company.
ConsNo tech support. Irritable person, responds only to email, and can be rude, mean to people who ask questions. If luck in on your side, then, close the program out, try again later, and hope your data wasn't lost.
July 13, 2010
JENN k.
licensed therapist
December 31, 2013

“Do not purchase!!”

OverallI think Mike the creator/owner is a Mickey Mouse operation out of his basement. The CEO/developer and customer service rep. I've used this software for 6 years.. Did it's job to a degree.. Very archaic software! I would have ditched it years ago, but cost me almost $1000.00 so suffered. Looking elsewhere for updated software. Something NOT out of the dark ages.
December 31, 2013
Sarah J.
Doctor
February 2, 2011

“A disaster with shrinkrapt”

OverallI would not recommend this product until the company improves it's customer service.
ProsI imagine there might be some pros if I could use the product
ConsI had difficulty downloading the software. After a number of exchanges (and quite a waste of my time), I asked Michael Johnson to call me. He replied, "If you can write it you can type it."
February 2, 2011
Jen W.
December 15, 2016

“Not user friendly”

OverallDifficult to navigate. Not at all user-friendly. Tech support was not helpful. I don't use this anymore.
December 15, 2016