Amber POS Ratings

Overall

About Amber POS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States. Learn more about Amber POS

Annette G.
Controller
Retail, 11-50 employees
February 21, 2017

“been using this for four years and it is VERY reliable. like all new software programs, you need to adjust to all new bells and whistles”

OverallWe are a unique company with three locations and use retail and layaways. looked at a TON of different software programs and this is the only one that could customize our Layaways for what we needed. Do you have to wait sometimes for answers? well yes, who doesn't? The majority of the time I get through right away. However, when my server went down and I needed them ASAP, THEY ANSWERED VERY QUICKLY! I was up and running withing an ' hours' and it took me over a week to get my server back. (wasn't Amber's fault it was default hardware). We were still able to run the program on computers/registers without a server. (not many software companies can boast that) I have dealt with another retail software program in the past where SQL was ALWAYS BREAKING DOWN (for days) then all of our stores were literally down. This system (AMBER) has a great SQL structure and database. There is no perfect software company but Amber has always been kind, considerate and helpful whenever I called for issues. The problems have always been fixed (some require patience which in today's world- no one wants to wait). the most important thing is to have a stable system AND having someone in your company who can help train those who are computer illiterate. it is up to you to make the changes in your company. there are SOOO many reports to choose from that I still haven't used all of them. the best part is having all the customer history and all this history of purchases, sales etc that you can use. Amber does a great job of tracking individual items, so you can easily see who purchased them. Exporting is great to excel spreadsheets.
ProsCustomer History and product history. this software tracks EVERYTHING that you do with a product.
Consglitches that come occasionally with updates.
Recommendations to other buyersHave someone who can learn the software program before implementing it. there is a lot to learn because there is so much you can do with it.
February 21, 2017
Wayne G.
October 17, 2014

“A robust POS for small businesses”

ProsThey are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).
ConsAs a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!
Recommendations to other buyersBuy when you are ready to spend your undivided attention using the software. That way you can decide whether to use the 90-day refund option if it doesn't fully meet your needs. We bought before we were ready to start using it, which meant we had to seriously devote time to it at the last minute or risk missing the chance at our refund. In the end, we kept the software, but it was a very close call. So, take the time to evaluate it. 90 days sounds like a long time, but this system is complex, and it may be weeks before you discover a potential deal-breaking issue.
October 17, 2014
Daniel S.
February 6, 2012

OverallWe are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long. Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in! All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn't come. We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows. They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS. All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.
February 6, 2012
Justin P.
November 9, 2011

OverallI run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!
November 9, 2011
Penny W.
December 5, 2017

“Endless flexibility and functionality. Great service.”

ProsI love that the system is easy to customize and flexible. The Amber staff is always available and willing to help, and have helped me craft the system to work exactly how we need it to work for the unique needs my retail store has. They are able to remote into our computer and help us create new features or troubleshoot problems in real time.
ConsI would normally call it a con that I have to sometimes leave a voicemail, but honestly, it's faster than going through 20 different prompts before I can reach a live person. When I do leave a message they call back right away. There are no voice prompts. It's either a live person straight away or a quick call back. And the support staff is a small team, so you can easily speak to the same person every time you call, and they know our account when we call, AND they know and understand their product, which is more than I can say for 90% of the technology vendors I normally have to deal with!
December 5, 2017
Daniel A.
Director of Retail Operations
Museums and Institutions, 11-50 employees
December 7, 2017

“Top Notch Service !”

OverallFor anyone looking for a POS system, you cannot go wrong by choosing Amber.
ProsAmber is easy to teach to my staff, remarkably easy to use on the administrative side and offers wonderful and personal support. It is an affordable system that I highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade. From the people to the program, itself, I couldn't be happier and feel more confident that I made the right choice by choosing Amber.
ConsI operate four separate museum stores and maintain four separate inventories within Amber. My wish is that it could be made easy to toggle between inventories without having to log out of one and into another. I'd love to be able to just log in and be able to maneuver between inventories with a bit more ease. Trust me, I can be a whiner..........and if this is my only complaint........well, Amber is doing okay by me, then.
December 7, 2017
lisa m.
November 6, 2017

“Amber is an update from an old POS system and it now allows me to couple inventory with a web site”

OverallWould love to be able to have a convenient suggestion box to enter suggestions for improvement - and a newsletter emailed or on program to access letting us know what changes made and what changes you are working on to improve the program.
ProsAfter a bit of a learning period since I was not used to working with spreadsheets, I found it easy to work with. After two years I am still finding out features that I find useful. Have also found tech support friendly and helpful. Integration with Big Commerce added additional challenges that Amber seems to be trying to deal with .
ConsTech support feedback not 100%. Had sent a few questions that did not get answered. Would really like to have an emailed newsletter announcing what improvements and changes have been made to the program. Found out that I needed to log onto a special site that had that information after being with Amber for a few years. Although POS program seems non geek friendly this information is aimed at the techs.
November 6, 2017
Rachel S.
1.5/5
June 8, 2016

“Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay ”

ProsIt communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.
ConsGetting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?
Recommendations to other buyerssomeone before said there was a "Try before you buy" program... I was unaware of this and was definitely not offered it... I believe many of our problems were related to conversion, so if you're a brand new business, it might work. But if you're trying to convert to this system, it's a huge pain. Nothing is intuitive. And they lock you out so even if you have a good IT guy, you can't fix things... so really do a careful tour of the product and think carefully about any possible thing that could be challenging or go wrong, I guess...

By Pacific Amber Technologies on August 12, 2016
I¿m sorry our software didn¿t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you¿re more happy with. We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program ¿ it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it¿s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it. We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge. As for our ¿Try before you buy¿ program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.
June 8, 2016
Genevieve E.
October 22, 2014

“We have been very happy with Amber POS”

ProsThe reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.
ConsThe software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.
Recommendations to other buyersBe sure the rep knows which credit/debit options are available in your country. We are in Canada and were given lists of compatible credit/debit processors that are not compatible with the Canadian banking system.

By Pacific Amber Technologies on October 24, 2014
Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support. We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.
October 22, 2014
Kevin M.
Wine and Spirits, 11-50 employees
October 13, 2017

“Support of AmberPOS support”

OverallFor a stand alone POS solution, this is the one to choose.
ProsAmberPOS has been our retail software supplier for over 15 years. We have had great support and solutions that fit our needs. Their improvements to the POS program has helped Marquis Wine Cellars get to the next stage of growth. Support is timely and knowledgeable. Lots of reporting capabilities and the program has been very stable over all these years.
ConsThis could integrate easier with accounting software.
October 13, 2017
Heather B.
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Unspecified
January 21, 2016

“two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb”

ProsWe are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.
ConsHaving to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in. You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.
Recommendations to other buyersThey have a try before you buy policy that is the only way to go. We used it for 3 months to see how it fit our company. I have purchased other pos systems based on a webinar that is not good enough to find all the details that a company needs to see. You need to actually use it in various situations to ensure that it ALL Works for your company,
January 21, 2016
Katie C.
Furniture, Unspecified
June 13, 2014

“New furniture and accessories store”

ProsThe staff has been very helpful in directing us with how to set up the system for our use. We really like the intuitiveness of the main screen, and the system itself is easy to use once you have had one or two training sessions. The KnowledgeBase is a great tool to have, but it could have better information behind it.
ConsThe interface with credit card processing is much more difficult than it should be. It would be in Amber's clients' best interests if Amber would sell the credit card swiping system that is compatible with the system. I had to spend far too much time chasing details around between my credit card processing group (Chase PaymenTech - not a small unkown) and Amber. This part should be seamless for the customer. Amber is not an inexpensive system (to purchase, as well as the monthly licensing fees), which makes this more annoying to experience. There are far too many options in the Amber online store that lead to dead ends! If you don't sell it, don't have the option available.
Recommendations to other buyersLook at all facets of the software and your use, from inventory setup/purchasing to generating the customer receipts and the interface with your accounting software. Make sure you know where the holes are in the system so you can be as efficient as possible. Examine the interface carefully between all touch points for your organization.
June 13, 2014
Laura W.
Farming, 11-50 employees
October 17, 2017

“AmberPOS a Perfect Fit for our Complicated Business”

ProsAmberPOS solved our complicated retail business's problems. We sell live animals as well as merchandise, both online and at our brick and mortar. Only AmberPOS could handle our complicated inventory needs and reporting, along with the usual POS issues. Hands down the absolute best customer support we could ask for!
ConsAmberPOS is complex so its interface is a bit complicated. After training and daily use we were able to get comfortable with AmberPOS and use it to its full potential.
October 17, 2017
Betty S.
Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees
January 12, 2018

“The Best POS I have ever used”

ProsEasy to use, adjust inventory, The support staff is just wonderful. I have never waiting more than 45 minutes for a call back. Prompt and professional. The set up was easy and all updates have been without a hitch. Love working with them and this product
January 12, 2018
Luke B.
June 11, 2014

“Great Investment”

ProsAmber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.
ConsNot having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.
Recommendations to other buyersWhen evaluating software such as Amber POS, it is most important to me to ensure it will be very user-friendly and provide all the essential requirements for your field of business. It is essential to have a good inventory management system, customer database, setup, and report generating ability. It is most important to insure that the software is compatible with your hardware, and merchant for credit card services.
June 11, 2014
Alice F.
April 15, 2019

“Point of Sale decision”

OverallI had too many unknown transactions - as in clients now everyone goes in the system - easier to find transactions if old payment type is not know.
ProsFantastic customer service. Has lots of features for the expense.
ConsWish I could integrate this with a booking scheduler. I have a client database that we use to sent up courses and customer service. We have to manually transfer payment to that client database.
April 15, 2019
April 27, 2018

“Customer support is APPALLING!”

ConsRandom errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

By Pacific Amber Technologies on June 22, 2018
This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system. This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years. They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.
April 27, 2018
Jacob A.
April 17, 2012

OverallTotally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly. The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.
April 17, 2012
Abraham S.
Compliance Officer
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
April 4, 2018

“Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company”

OverallI utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago
ProsThe software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.
ConsLike most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.
April 4, 2018
Bill W.
June 25, 2011

OverallWe are a small business that sells fishing and kayaking supplies both locally and online. As our business has grown so have our data maintenance requirements. We were operating the store and online business on independent databases, which created double the work. I looked for a solution that would integrate the two platforms and create one selling database that would solve this redundancy problem. Happily, I found Pacific Amber Technologies and their software program AmberPOS and purchased the system in June 2010. The conversion from my old system went smoothly and we were up and selling on the AmberPOS platform within a couple of weeks. AmberPOS then integrated my POS system with my online store and eliminated the necessity of managing two databases, thus cutting my workload in half. The AmberPOS system was easy for my staff to learn and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies has been great. They have a support staff that is second to none and have completed many custom tasks for me in a timely manner. I would highly recommend this software to anyone looking to change software platforms or starting from scratch. Great Product!
June 25, 2011
Donald Q.
Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees
April 26, 2018

“On the short list”

OverallCan use any merchant card services with it.
ProsCustomer Care and Professional Sales Representative. Was very informative and ease of use. Positive results for speaking to others who use it.
ConsSeems a little pricey, I haven't found may things to criticize on. Nice that you don't have to buy a boatload of equipment.
April 26, 2018
Judy S.
June 6, 2017

“Works”

ProsEverything is there and many reports Scans products and works well with the credit processing Can preform queries on data
Consonly had a few credit processing to use that would work with the system Ability to scan DL to get age verification still haven't been able to figure this out. When it scans, you get the driver's license number, not the birth date. very costly better off to purchase the software as the support they refer you to the online manual anyway. Once into your second year, your system will be paid for. make sure your data is the way they load into the system or you could be in big trouble with inventories not right.
June 6, 2017
Dina M.
May 23, 2017

“Great Product!”

OverallI quite enjoy using this POS system, it has made my life so much easier and I would definitely recommend to any small or large business looking for a point of sale.
ProsEase of operation, function ability. I like being able to add inventory fast and efficiently !!
Consno mainframe backup
May 23, 2017
Darcy L.
Museums and Institutions, Unspecified
June 9, 2014

“Great Product and Customer Service”

ProsAmber POS is a well-designed system that is adaptable to a variety of retail situations. We use it in a non-profit setting for admissions to an attraction, retail sales, memberships, and maintaining a customer/membership database that helps us track of member visits and purchases. We are also in the process of linking it to our e-commerce site so that all inventory will be drawn from one database.
ConsThe training and support is fabulous. Answers are prompt, and the instructor made sure that we understood the functionality. They also checked in during the setup to make sure we are happy with the software and found ways to make it the most applicable to our needs.
Recommendations to other buyersWe asked three software companies to give us demos before deciding what to purchase. Amber POS was willing to answer all questions after the demo and provide an itemized proposal with no surprises.
June 9, 2014
Guillermo S.
Network Engineer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
July 16, 2018

“Top notch POS System”

OverallHas a cool training mode, that copies your actual database and you can do tests and play with the features without messing up your actual data.
ProsEasy to use, can link multi-location stores and keep all the data centralized on a robust SQL server on the main location. The Barcode designer is great to work with, product labels look professional and are fully customizable with your own logo, etc.
ConsWindows only - not really a con but you can't get to use iPads. Requires a decent machine to run on, specially if you're running only one terminal and you have the SQL server on it.
July 16, 2018
Suzanne V.
HR Coordinator
December 6, 2016

“Useful POS that allows good reporting”

OverallAmbur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.
ProsTrack inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.
ConsI'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.
Recommendations to other buyersThey also seem to roll out new versions before vetting them. If you decide to go with ambur, turn off auto updating and do it manually after the new version has been out for some time.
December 6, 2016
abdullah e.
Furniture, 1-10 employees
September 6, 2018

“Great training and demos ”

OverallOverall great value and features are mostly what you need to get you off the ground and even growing.
ProsReally affordable, especially since they offer multi store features, if you want to expand without expanding your expense. Somewhat easy to use but their team really are quick to help and explain everything so I didn't feel abandoned at all.
ConsI felt the inventory could have been made easier and simpler although to be fair they did eventually help me get it right.
September 6, 2018
Jeff K.
October 14, 2014

“Patch, patch, Poof”

ProsI literally lost six weeks of patches, adjustments, reloads, and re-entering products. Even with my own IT personnel involved, it never really worked. They gave me my money back, but I lost a lot of money in labor on my end to make it work. It never did integrate with Big Commerce. It deleted products on the website that were not supposed to be deleted. It was very user-unfriendly. If you like talking to their staff every day and waiting for call backs, go for it!!
ConsEvery function was a custom patch.
Recommendations to other buyersI would recommend looking for a different product.

By Pacific Amber Technologies on October 24, 2014
This customer had a very unique set of specialized custom requirements for their ecommerce setup that were unique to their store. We spent several weeks of our time trying to accommodate the unique needs of this customer, including developing custom changes to our web connector module for them, but with each customization we made for the customer, we realized that their needs were more and more specialized. After trying to accommodate their very unique needs, and investing resources from our side on custom programming and support, we jointly agreed with the customer that their unique, specialized needs could not be met. Therefore we agreed to offer the customer a complete 100% refund on their purchase, even though our support and custom development costs outweighed their investment in the software. We hope the customer can find a custom developed solution elsewhere, and apologize for any time spent from their side while we tried to make it work for them.
October 14, 2014
Tom G.
Sporting Goods, Unspecified
May 29, 2014

“Excellent product-good price-great support”

ProsThe program has the features we need to handle clothing and footwear. You can manipulate the data fields; installation was easy with no problems. I am still learning the program, and the training is very good. The training person knows the program top to bottom, and the company in general seems top notch and trustworthy. One last thing, when their rep says they will call at a certain time, they call on time.
ConsI haven't found anything to dislike yet, I am pleased I purchased this program.
Recommendations to other buyersTake your time. You will not be able to figure the program out without help in a few areas, but their instruction techs are real good. My tech was terrific.
May 29, 2014
Todd C.
February 9, 2013

OverallWe searched high and low for a POS system that would integrate our fairly large brick & mortar store and it's inventory with our website. Lucky for us we found AmberPOS. Now we have a real-time inventory in both our online store and our brick & mortar store and it's really easy to keep everything in sync. The crew at Pacific Amber have been great about discussing our unique needs and making sure the integration works seamlessly. The SKU mass updater tool works perfectly, so we can manage our online inventory in bulk. The POS is a fully-fledged Point of Sale with all the features we demand. The added benefit of working with them has been a personal touch that you don't get from the 'big boys'. Highly recommended if you need to make sure your inventory is accurate, and want to manage your web store from your Point of Sale.
February 9, 2013
Jan L.
February 20, 2012

OverallMy partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.
February 20, 2012
Lawrence A.
Business Center Manager
Retail, 1001-5000 employees
January 29, 2019

“Helpful Customer Service”

ProsOne thing i admire about AmberPOS is their customer service which is very helpful and friendly. They responded and resolved issues when there are bugs on the system.
ConsThere are occasionally bugs on the system but Amber resolves and fixes the issue right away. I commend them for that!
January 29, 2019
Mrityunjay S.
Financial Controller
Retail, 11-50 employees
August 23, 2018

“Happy with the product, followup services.”

ProsReally detailed and good control for inventory and very simple to use. The best part is any one can learn how to use quick
ConsWould have been awesome if you could integrate this software with any payment processing companies. Overall good performance
August 23, 2018
Sylvia W.
January 25, 2015

“Affordable, versatile, easy to use, Microsoft-based, top-notch product”

ProsIt's easy to use, has logical concepts, is user-friendly, and is very affordable compared to other systems. The vendor has been excellent with training and followup questions. We made the right decision going with AmberPOS.
ConsI would like to have had a downloadable manual of instructions instead of having to go to a website to have questions answered on what steps are needed to carry out various functions.
Recommendations to other buyersTrial it and see how easy it is to use and how versatile it is no matter what type of business you run.
January 25, 2015
Dana J.
July 2, 2014

“Great product with excellent customer support”

ProsThe product is very versatile and can be customized to meet just about any store's needs. The customer support is very prompt and helpful (and the monthly service fee is very reasonable).
ConsTheir customer support hours of operation do not fully meet our needs. We are on the east coast, and Amber's customer support is based on the west coast, so their customer support is not available to us in the morning.
Recommendations to other buyersBe sure you are aware of the kind of customer support they provide, as well as their hours of availability.
July 2, 2014
Kevin M.
November 24, 2011

OverallI am very happy with the software and service from AmberPOS. I have specialized needs for my POS and PacificAmber Technologies have been especially responsive with regards to customization. They are receptive to ideas that will improve their software and show a commitment to producing the best product available. Their response time is very good and the AmberPOS staff have been thoroughly professional in all my dealings with them. My retail store is open seven days a week so stability is paramount. In over 7 years of use, I have yet to have my POS software crash. I heartily recommend this company and software to anyone in the retail sector.
November 24, 2011
Lawren R.
September 25, 2014

“Wouldn't recommend Amber POS”

ProsAmber POS is fairly intuitive and easy to learn for the basics.
ConsThere are several major bugs in the software, which the staff refuses to fix, as well as some that took months to get them to fix. This software has cost my clients major admin time working around its problems. We've used this system for two years and are very unhappy with it. Historical data almost never runs correctly, and the techs at Pacific Amber seem to have no concept of how data is used for accounting (i.e. balance sheet accounts which have a point-in-time balance vs. income statement accounts which have a date range).
Recommendations to other buyersRealize that many companies which are unhappy with this company will not post negative reviews for fear of affecting their service level. As bad as it is, it can always get worse! Many of the users posting positive reviews haven't used it very long, or don't use its full functionality.
September 25, 2014
Stephen M.
IT Manager
November 19, 2018

“Poor company”

OverallStay away
ProsPros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.
ConsThey want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!
November 19, 2018
Eddie y.
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
December 13, 2016

“Work in progress”

OverallIt is coming along but we have a few issues to work out.
ProsThe team has been very helpful.
ConsIt's taking longer than expected.
December 13, 2016
Emily S.
January 17, 2013

OverallThough we have a few occasional hiccups (mostly in integrating with our online sales) overall Amber is a great system. The tech support team is on the ball, and the program itself is great for multi- or single-store use. It's aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, and the many (customizable) reports make it easy to get the exact sales data needed. We are very pleased we chose Amber and it's definitely improved the way we do business.
January 17, 2013
Alice F.
June 11, 2018

“Saved by bacon, my other POS was failing and team was able to step up to the challenge.”

OverallGreat support.
ProsIt makes sense and once you have the time to explore all the options I look forward to using it more. Once my inventory is correct I am looking to keep it up to date. I like the updates.
ConsHave not found any colour options for the screen. Have a tough time seeing in black and screen all the time. My other POS had some colour on the page - blue and another system I use - DogBizPro has multiple colour options. Need colour.
June 11, 2018
Chris C.
June 1, 2015

“AmberPOS is a first rate point of sale system”

ProsMet my needs with a customizable CRM for client management and options for customization
ConsSteep learning curve at the register. This is the least customizable part and the number of options can be confusing
Recommendations to other buyersEven after a demo I thought I knew how the system worked and which customizations would be necessary for my needs. I was wrong. While it will work out in the end and I don't think there was a better option I also don't think you can truly know a system until you live and work in it for a while.
June 1, 2015
Jan R.
September 16, 2014

“AmberPOS review”

ProsI like the ease of tracking sales and inventory.
ConsCompleting purchase orders was complicated. We were led to believe that it was accessible from remote location.
Recommendations to other buyersTake advantage of the training upfront; it helps with the learning curve.
September 16, 2014
Chris M.
Furniture, Unspecified
June 12, 2014

“AmberPOS Rocks!”

ProsEase of use and awesome people to help at a moment's notice!
ConsA wee bit more ability to customize would be great.
Recommendations to other buyersTake it for a test drive. It's one of the only systems we've found that has real-time training with your own inventory, customers, and employees.
June 12, 2014
Anthony G.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Unspecified
June 6, 2014

“Review Amber POS”

ProsEasy to use, help desk always available, tons of options
ConsSome security features. For one or two users, having to log in and out is a little cumbersome.
Recommendations to other buyersTake your time and learn all the functions.
June 6, 2014
Nathan B.
Automotive, Unspecified
1.5/5
October 9, 2014

“If you are beyond a basic shop, move on!”

ProsThey were quick to refund our money when the product was not a good fit for us.
ConsIt's very limited, and you have no control. They lock down all admin tools and require you to call them for changes. If you do not pay the monthly support fee, it will cost you every time you call.
Recommendations to other buyersIt is very basic. If you are looking for a simple POS, then it may work for you. If you need something that is customizable for your needs, than this is not it!
October 9, 2014
Ramamurthy S.
Senior Systems Specitalist
December 11, 2016

“AmberPOS”

OverallThe product had the features. The only drawback was Integration to other systems.
ProsPoint of Sale, Tracking Rental Items
ConsIntegration
December 11, 2016
Meg S.
General Manager
July 21, 2015

“Great value for the price”

ProsIt is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).
ConsEverything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.
Recommendations to other buyersWe looked at three other systems and this was the best one for the money.
July 21, 2015
Sonam A.
Software Engineer
Retail, 501-1000 employees
February 28, 2018

“A very secure system”

OverallOverall its a good system
ProsMain advantage of this system is it is very secure, no chances of fraud and as well as it is very fast
ConsShould provide free trial atleast for three months to the merchants so that they can get enough time to be familiar with
February 28, 2018